Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Summer Visitors

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Spotted a gang of swallows just outside Trim, Co. Meath, last Monday 8th April. The weather at the moment is surely doing these earlier arrivals no favours :(
    First chiffchaff about 2 weeks ago outside Kells, and more recently in North Offaly too.
    I've heard at least 4 different yellowhammers calling within a couple of km of one another in North Offaly over the past 3 wks too.
    I'm still waiting for it to feel like summer though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saw a swallow last week before this spate of gales arrived. looking forward to tomorrow and maybe seeing more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Saw a flock of plovers resting on a ploughed field in Carlow. I’m assuming they were migrating north. A beautiful sight when they took flight and wheeled around us. The dog was a bit put out, kept looking up at them and barking at the sound of the wingbeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty of Swallows and House Martens about today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just a reminder that records of your first migrants in an area (list of a few species only) are very much appreciated for Spring Alive, which is used as an educational tool to illustrate migration as it happens: http://www.springalive.net/en-ie/migrations/addnew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just heard the first cuckoo about 5 minutes ago. Stopped me in my tracks. South Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First few Swallows around here yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just heard the cuckoo.

Lovely, a sound of summer for me.

South Sligo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

First swallow of the year flying around my house yesterday in North Offaly... I note from this thread that I spotted the first last year on April 26th. So, 9 days earlier this year.
    Will be keeping my ears open for the cuckoo now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Out for my first walk in months today, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Swallows all seen/heard.

Other highlights a pair of Ravens, pair of Buzzards and Snipe and Skylark, all from the local greenway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first swallow of the year for me today, in kilmacurragh.
    also saw my first bat of the year this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grasshopper Warbler reeling away the last few nights from a clump of Willow at the back of my parents house in North Kildare. Serious amount of Blackcaps about the general area too this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Cuckoo arrived in East Galway yesterday 19th, calling again early this morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

cuckoo in wexford this morning . thought i heard another in the distance but wouldn't swear on it . lots of swallows about and seems to be lots of terns about kilmore this evening but not informed enough to know if they are of all the one or different breeds .
    spotted a few gannet's ''working'' about the place in past few days so obviously a bit of feeding about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

House Martins arrived at Ashford in Wicklow yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Heard the cuckoo this morning, rural Donegal. Always heart-warming to hear the cuckoo arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Cuckoo this morning in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Cuckoo heard in Sth Galway this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cuckoo back here at 5 am after a few quiet days.west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First Swifts (3) just seen - Summer is here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Little or no swallows here (east galway]

Swallows very scarce here so far....(co. KK). We were blaming the lack of nesting sites since farm housing regulations have done away with a lot of the traditional nesting spots. But after reading about the netting and slaughter of little birds in north Africa I imagine this may be a big factor.
    No sign of the cuckoo here yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

inthehat wrote: »
    Swallows very scarce here so far....(co. KK). We were blaming the lack of nesting sites since farm housing regulations have done away with a lot of the traditional nesting spots. But after reading about the netting and slaughter of little birds in north Africa I imagine this may be a big factor.
    No sign of the cuckoo here yet...

Weather hasn't helping either:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Grey squirrel on the wall outside the house this morning. First one I’ve seen in a good two years.
    Could be a problem with nesting birds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

Just back from southern Spain and was amazed at the number of Swifts there. Spent ages every morning watching them. Such a pity we don't see so may swifts here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Still only one pair of swallows in the barn this year but there are more nesting locally. They are having a terrible problem with a couple of magpies who keep flying into the barn and stealing the eggs! When the magpies attempt this other swallows come to help and I run out like a mad one clapping - but is there anything else we can do to try and scare the magpies away.

After last years disaster with the feral cat, I'm trying my best to make sure the swallows fledge a clutch - but should I just let nature take its course?

Magpies are a scourge. We suspected them of raiding the nests in our milking parlour until a local farmer who was having trouble with magpies (raiding his cattle feed) shot a number of them so we got a break from them for a good while.

New regulations have prevented the swallows nesting in the milking parlour now though, as we had to install fly-proof screens and repair little gaps in the roof etc.

So now we have no flies but also no swallows :(

Pretzill wrote: »
    I run out like a mad one clapping -

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dan man wrote: »
    Heard the cuckoo this morning, rural Donegal. Always heart-warming to hear the cuckoo arrive.
    Haven't heard it in Cork since the 80s bar once at gougane Barra,heard it in Kerry last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

First swallows just arrived here this morning. They are a bit bedraggled looking but it's great to see them. They are just circling the garden with loads of chatter. I don't think they have found their old nest yet.

Advertisement