Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Toll Tag

• 09-09-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am due to start a daily commute on the M3. I will be paying 2 tolls each of €1.40 each so €5.60 a day.

I just wondered if anyone knew what the best toll tag is to get?

I don't expect a discount. Just wanted to get the one with the lowest monthly charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I've the eflow one and it works out dearer when the rental charge gets added every month. I went through the port tunnel twice and it's the normal fee of €3 per journey no discount for tag holders. Instead of the €6 cash fare it costed me €7:23 for using the etoll lane. The only benefit is that i don't need to search for the correct change or que for the attended booth. Maybe the saving can be made if you do plenty of journeys in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Or it costs you 1.23 per month on top of tolls.
    unless you use the other m50 toll, where you get at least a 50cent discount.

Parkmagic advertise a 1.21 per month fee, Dunno if they didn't hike their prices with the vat hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,565 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eFlow for me, mostly because it doesn't require maintaining a constant prepay balance like my previous etrip/now easytrip tag did

Sure you pay 1.23 a month for it but it's a lot more convenient IMO. One bill on a fixed date per month rather than random asks to your account if the balance runs under the tenner (I think it was) that etrip insisted you maintain.

Course it might be different now I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

ParkMagic charge me 10% of each toll so if I don't use it in a month there is no charge. Of course if I use it a lot then monthly charge is high!

They also charge €1 for an automatic top up unless it is more than €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sounds like eflow is the way to go. So basically they just bill my credit card at the end of the month for the trips?

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Sounds like eflow is the way to go. So basically they just bill my credit card at the end of the month for the trips?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lemlin wrote: »

They give you the option of monthly billing or topup ...

Payment Methods

Being an eFlow customer means you will be able to pay your tolls in a way that suits you. Best of all, our online account management tools give you the power to change your payment details and options, and view your transaction history and statements whenever you desire.

Bill pay customers pay their toll charges in one monthly lump sum.

If you opt to become a bill pay customer, you’ll receive your statement for your previous month’s toll journeys at the beginning of each month.

Top-up customers pre-pay their toll charges before they drive.

As a top-up customer, we’ll automatically take a payment from your eFlow account credit each time you pass through a toll point. When you reach the low-balance threshold of €12.00, we’ll top up your account via your chosen payment method and amount (min. €30.00, max. €250.00) so you’re never in the red.

https://www.eflow.ie/why-eflow/how-it-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Quick question on the whole tag and price subject. If your going to be a regular user of the motorway toll in let's say cork and the one on the way to Dublin and the m50 what's the best option?

Kraken wrote: »
    Quick question on the whole tag and price subject. If your going to be a regular user of the motorway toll in let's say cork and the one on the way to Dublin and the m50 what's the best option?

eFlow and easytrip are probably the biggest two. The main difference is the former offers a post-pay/monthly billing option, the latter is pre-pay only but does include parking add-ons.

I'm still using eFlow on all of the roads you mention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mcgonagall7

Would this still apply now for the best tag?! Or is there an update?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Easytrips customer care is absymal and they try to bundle useless products on to you. Eflow are the only sensible option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Now that you can tap the card at most toll booth(including the exact change ones) I honestly don't see the need for a toll tag(outside of m50 of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Now that you can tap the card at most toll booth(including the exact change ones) I honestly don't see the need for a toll tag(outside of m50 of course)
    With a tag don't need to stop - that VIP feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    With a tag don't need to stop - that VIP feeling :)

I had one. It would fail to beep at the barrier 20-30% of the time.

If it was reliable id agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

That sounds like your tag tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or a bad installation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The camera would still clock you .

That's not a tag, but a bad installation problem. Most of times it would be that drivers position tags without reading an instruction, and then blaming eflow for barriers not lifting up at the barrier tolls in the express lanes.

A tag should be placed in the highest possible windscreen place horizontally, in the centre. Best on the black dotted place. There's a certain angle, but I don't remember the details, it's all in the instruction. In some vehicles, eg., SUVs or vans, tag positioning should be slightly different than in the cars as a vehicle is higher and it changes the angle which may effect a quality how quickly detectors can pick up a tag.

Also, if you're a frequent user (at least 4 times a day, daily), a battery could be dying. That happens after somewhere 5-7 years of use. Tag can be changed for free in to a new one if the old one is returned. Just need to ring their customer support.

Tag may also not work if assigned to a previous vehicle but is being used in a new imported vehicle without tax or Irish reg due to VRT not being able to recognise a vehicle class and allocate the price. There're other certain situations when tag may not work, but mostly it's due to misuse and drivers not reading T&C and the instruction, or not asking an advice from a customer support.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The camera would still clock you .
    Only on the M50. On the barrier tolls cameras don't have a vehicle registration recognition system and rely only on tag. If tag is being placed wrong or on the account is allocated to a wrong vehicle (eg., driver got a new car, but hasn't reregistered a tag to a new car), it may not work as expected. Tag may also not work at the barriers if a driver is speeding or tailgating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement