Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

brianp20 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, Waestrel. What were you going for?

Electrician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry to pull up old thread. But Irish rail are advertising jobs and young fellow is looking at them. Anyone on here know much about it?

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities

Also out of interest does anyone know which jobs are in which region? He would prefer the Electrician but not sure about letting him off down to Limerick or Portlaoise on a solo run? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry to pull up old thread. But Irish rail are advertising jobs and young fellow is looking at them. Anyone on here know much about it?

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities

Also out of interest does anyone know which jobs are in which region? He would prefer the Electrician but not sure about letting him off down to Limerick or Portlaoise on a solo run? Thanks

Portlaoise or drogheda wouldn't be too bad as he will have a pti card and will have free train travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Anybody hear anything back yet ?

Nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Went for an Interview today in Engineering & New Works building in Inchicore.

I feel i didn't do very well in the interview. When they asked me what i knew about Irish Rail, i blanked and i kept forgetting to refer back to previous work experiences for the questions.

Blikes wrote: »
    Went for an Interview today in Engineering & New Works building in Inchicore.

I feel i didn't do very well in the interview. When they asked me what i knew about Irish Rail, i blanked and i kept forgetting to refer back to previous work experiences for the questions.

Don't be too hard on yourself as you never know how it might turn out. Any idea when you will hear back ?

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Any idea when you will hear back ?

They said the next stage is a Medical on the 8th August so i presume i should hear back before then.
    After that the in-person aptitude test and mechanical reasoning tests.
    The 6 successful electrical candidates are to start before the end of august.

They said the next stage is a Medical on the 8th August so i presume i should hear back before then.
    After that the in-person aptitude test and mechanical reasoning tests.
    The 6 successful electrical candidates are to start before the end of august.

I never got anything back from them to say yes no, pi** off so you are a couple of steps in front of others....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Does anyone know if irish rail hire software developers? Or is this all outsourced.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if irish rail hire software developers? Or is this all outsourced.

To be honest if you are a software developer it would be the last place I would look at for a job

Most companies like Irish Rail would use tender process to hire in companies to do any requirements like software dev, hiring and keeping a software dev on full time pay would be expensive compared to a tender process

Or they would have Deloitte/Accenture etc in there telling them who to hire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think CIE look after the IT side for all the companies and it's not outsourced or at least some of it isn't hence why there are so many IT issues.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I think CIE look after the IT side for all the companies and it's not outsourced or at least some of it isn't hence why there are so many IT issues.

CIE are in the process of moving into outsource.....if I tell you anymore I would need to kill you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

CIE are in the process of moving into outsource.....if I tell you anymore I would need to kill you :P

Outsourcing everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Following proud Irish Rail traditions then! Only bit of the group that really got in to outsourcing before

Heard nothing since the interview. I emailed them to ask but got no reply.

Really annoying considering i went through all the hurdles. Did the aptitude and mechanical reason tests, did the months of waiting, spent time and money driving 300km to Dublin for the interview.

The least they could do is tell you if you're in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Really annoying considering i went through all the hurdles. Did the aptitude and mechanical reason tests, did the months of waiting, spent time and money driving 300km to Dublin for the interview.

They could contact you tomorrow and ask if you can start last Tuesday, that's what IE are like.

They could contact you tomorrow and ask if you can start last Tuesday, that's what IE are like.

Handy few days off with pay :)

Did you ever get a reply from Irish rail about that job you applied for ?

Did you ever get a reply from Irish rail about that job you applied for ?

I never got anything back.....

• Advertisement

Very strange ?

They were doing interviews a week or 2 ago for engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Very strange ?

I applied for countless jobs without so much of an acknowledgment but that's

the modern way of doing things I suppose. Not the correct way though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I applied for countless jobs without so much of an acknowledgment but that's

the modern way of doing things I suppose. Not the correct way though!

True. It's not specific to Irish Rail.
    Lots of companies just leave interviewees hanging, never doing the courtesy of letting them know they were unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

True. It's not specific to Irish Rail.
    Lots of companies just leave interviewees hanging, never doing the courtesy of letting them know they were unsuccessful.

And having doing so for decades. It's never been easier, or cheaper fpr employers to have basic manners but you wouldn't want to hold your breath while waiting for replies to job applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

Same last year when I applied for some summer station assistant job. Had what I would assume an expensive IR customised online aptitude test and an interview but nothing after. Couldn't get HR person on the phone and no reply to emails.

It's fair enough nowadays to not get a reply for every job application, but if you've been interviewed and have made the effort and expense to attend in person, it's the least a company can do to inform you one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Same last year when I applied for some summer station assistant job. Had what I would assume an expensive IR customised online aptitude test and an interview but nothing after. Couldn't get HR person on the phone and no reply to emails.

It's fair enough nowadays to not get a reply for every job application, but if you've been interviewed and have made the effort and expense to attend in person, it's the least a company can do to inform you one way or the other.

I hear you whiskeygirl. About 2 years ago I drove to Meath for an interview and didn't get as much as an e-mail to let me know I was unsuccessful. Seriously piss*d me off at the time as I wasn't working and it cost me a few quid to drive there and back, the least they could of done was let me know.

• Faith+1 wrote: »
    I hear you whiskeygirl. About 2 years ago I drove to Meath for an interview and didn't get as much as an e-mail to let me know I was unsuccessful. Seriously piss*d me off at the time as I wasn't working and it cost me a few quid to drive there and back, the least they could of done was let me know.

That's happened to me after several face to face interviews with various companies. For me it's the height of amateurism and total disrespect.

I can totally accept that it is unrealistic to get a reply to every job application but if you have got to a stage that you have been interviewed than its totally out of order. Surely these organisations have heard of mail merge? Do up a generic 'Dear John' letter and add name to the database when you are declining application

Very odd that nobody on here heard anything from them. Maybe there's something happening with recruitment.
    If I remember correctly the apprenticeship was supposed to start at the start of September.

• Advertisement

Very odd that nobody on here heard anything from them. Maybe there's something happening with recruitment.
    If I remember correctly the apprenticeship was supposed to start at the start of September.

I think it is a joke they have sent nothing, not even a FU email.....terrible carry on

Advertisement