Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is the greatest western philosopher of all time?

• 22-06-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest, most important western philosopher of all time? By greatest I do not mean most influential as I'm sure there wouldn't be too much disagreement over that. My list would be:

1. Schopenhauer
    2. Kant
    3. Spinoza
    4. Plato
    5. Thomas Aquinas
    6. Hume
    7. Leibniz
    8. Kierkegaard
    9. Descartes
    10. Aldous Huxley

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

My list will be very biased due to having very little experience.
    My no 1 would be no surprise to anyone that knows me :D

1. Nietzsche ( Will to power with art and the animal mind, poetic prose)

2. Descartes ( Rules for the direction of the mind)

3. Hegel (Master - slave dialectics)

4. Derrida ( For shaking the foundations of binary thinking)

5. Plato ( For showing us how not to do political philosophy lol)

6. Epictetus (Stoic philosophy, taming the will)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

1. Homer. (Simpson, that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Torakx wrote: »
    5. Plato ( For showing us how not to do political philosophy lol)
    Plato is great. He's so bad, he actually made me feel clever. Which, taking a utilitarian approach, means I suppose I have to say he's tops.

More seriously, I think we have to distinguish between who is "best" in the sense of philosophers who did something to increase understanding and "best" in the sense of philosophers who did something to provide some practical advice.

I'd say Marx did a lot to promote a deeper understanding of how social life works, but there's not much practical advice - or, at least, practical advice that subsequently proved effective.

I find Seneca, currently, is someone who says stuff that actually seems relevant to daily life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Epicurus, ahead of his time, a pity people didnt live like he encouraged sooner, especially in this country.

Going for a sh!t now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

My votes, in no particular order, would go predominantly (though not exclusively) to analytic philosophers, since that is my own unabashed preference: WVO Quine, Bertrand Russell, David Hume, Alfred North Whitehead, Aristotle, Rudolph Carnap, Saul Kripke, Hilary Putnam, John Mackie and George Moore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Torakx wrote: »
    4. Derrida ( For shaking the foundations of binary thinking)
    While I may agree with you that Jacques Derrida has had substantial impact upon philosophical thinking during the past half century, I am uncertain that he qualifies as a philosopher. I've read several of his works, yet I've failed to find a formally constructed philosophy. What I have found was his analytical method labeled deconstruction; i.e., is he a methodologist rather than a philosopher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCiqqT9uo8
    This is about as much as I know of Derrida, apart from researching and failing to utilize the deconstruction method in practical situations.
    Listening again for fun :D
    I think you're right though. Not a philosopher in the classical sense, if at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In no particular order and confining myself to primary works I've read: St Aquinis, Karl Popper, Rodger Scruton & Plato. Tempted to add Nietzsche but that would be presumptuous of me as his work is so advanced.

Purely for humour:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Bertrand Russell not only a highly intelligent man, but a pragmatic man who was imprisoned for campaigning against ww1.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

No-one for Foucault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Schopenhauer nails it especially in how he anticipated Darwin in the form of Wille zu Leben. For me it echoes what I hear coming from Buddhist philosophy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see that Roger Scruton has passed away.

Not a Conservative myself, and have only read A short history of modern philosophy, but must look into more of his work.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

No-one for Foucault?

To me he was just a Nietzsche wannabe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

My mother, there is nothing that she doesn’t have an opinion on. She can argue points for hours.

Advertisement