Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skateboarding - Older Beginners

• 06-11-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey Guys

Late (Very) twenties guy, Just purchased my gear and looking at getting skateboarding.

Live close to monkstown and will be killing myself down there initially.

If anyone is interested in getting a beginner group together let me know I would be very interested. Would be cool to learn with others, it would in my opinion make the learning process quicker.

You can PM or post on the thread for a response...

G
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Did you find anyone?
    Im a 30 yr old beginner in Limerick... Trying to figure out how to Ollie without killing myself...
    Dont know of any adults around here that board... Would love to meet someone who does tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭GazPat

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Did you find anyone?
    Im a 30 yr old beginner in Limerick... Trying to figure out how to Ollie without killing myself...
    Dont know of any adults around here that board... Would love to meet someone who does tho...

There seems to be an abundance of younger kids where I am skating and the adults supervise lol.

I opted to partake with my kid rather than just sit and watch. Probably to the amusement of the onlooking adults :)..

But alas nope all the older skaters I have seen are really good and I wouldn't bother them asking for pointers I'll just watch and try myself.

Regarding the ollie there are these rubber things you clip onto your wheels to practice. I haven't got them yet I think I'm just going to go for it in the park while moving. That way I don't have to learn twice lol thats my take.

Let me know how you get on and we can keep track of progress etc.

GP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hey Gaz,

I'm later twenties and wouldn't mind giving it a go.
    Will need to give adverts/ebay a trawl to get a board though. My experience to date is playing Tony Hawk on the playstation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Not a boarder but a beginner skater in my early 30 ' s. Not much use at sharing skills for boarder but at least you wouldn't look stupid alone =P
    Terenure area.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭GazPat

Hey all

Thanks for the replies. Worst thing in learning in Ireland is the weather :(

Local park always closed.

Anyone around south Dublin give me a pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Hey Gaz,

Not a boarder, quad skater looking to branch out into bowl skating - usually just trail skate in the parks. If you're looking for someone to skate with, let me know - there's also an outdoor skating group on facebook though it's a lot of Roller Derby/Quaders

I'm based in Greystones/work in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

I'm 33 and have just bought a board, have no skills whatsoever but the bit of messing around I've done so far has been unreal fun and I would love to go skating with anyone who's either starting out or keen to teach! Living close to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stefanc

Im living in Dublin and looking to get started. if anyone's interested just pm me and i'll reply. Seeing as it's an old post I dont wanna just start messaging people

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

stefanc wrote: »
    Im living in Dublin and looking to get started. if anyone's interested just pm me and i'll reply. Seeing as it's an old post I dont wanna just start messaging people

I also wanna find people to skate with and hit some skate parks!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

Now is the time the older shredders come out of hibernation, the 30 to 40 plus, anyone Southside looking for a roll give us a PM :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Barryh2015

Hey guys and gals. Old time shredder here. Stopped skating when I was 14(35 now)and only back at it 9months or so. Had to get exercise and couldn't see myself doing the regular stuff. Not very good but love it and it's great to be doing something active outside. Have hooked up with a few older skaters and they're all pretty cool. Young guys are generally very friendly if you just approach them and are genuinely into skating, age makes no difference. I chat with 16yr olds the same as guys my own age. I get to skate like once or twice a week, weather/family/work permitting. If your looking for beginners trick tips, there is a guy on youtube called Aaron kyro, he's a pro who covers all the basic tricks on his channel Braille skateboarding. Well worth a look if your trying some tricks( he helped me get kickflips down). I head to monkstown, blanchardstown, greystones, clondalkin skateparks with a few of the lads, hit me up if your an old timer and wanna skate some parks or street. My Instagram is barry.horgan( pic is of me doing a bs crook in blessington).✌🏻👊🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kennedy 14

Anyone south Dublin beginner skateboarders who’d want to give it a go with a mid twenties fella give us a message. Lockdown skating with social distancing would work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yao1010

Hi Kennedy! Can I join you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Anyone in the Bray/Greystones area like to join me. I'm 36 and used to skate when I was much younger. My own son has taken up skateboarding so I figured I would give it a try.

I'm able to cruise around without any issues and can pull an odd trick. Good fun altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hey all, similar boat to others here. My kids are enjoying skate parks on scooters and I'd love to follow them around. Any recommendations on a budget complete skateboard for a mid/late 30's male?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albert11

This is a really great idea.

Advertisement