Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shops then before the shops now thread-Nationwide!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Apollo 1! ah the memories! I remember King Burger was where mcDonalds in the Ilac Centre is now - at the Parnell St entrance. I loved the grub there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I remember that Apollo 1 alright. Beshoffs on westmorland became abrakebabra right which is now a kfc.

Nope...Where beshoffs used to be is now Supermacs.
    Abrakebabra was where the centra on the corner is now.

The KFC is where Superburger used to be and before that it was Wendy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

chopper6 wrote: »

I already mentioned abrakebabra being right at O'Connell bridge. Can't remember when the fire was in beshoffs, tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was an Abra where KFC is much more recently though, up till maybe 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

MYOB wrote: »
    There was an Abra where KFC is much more recently though, up till maybe 18 months ago.

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

steveone wrote: »
    where was charlies bar?
    It was on Aungier Street. I think it and the building it used to be may be gone

Do you remember "Good Time Charlies" on O'Connell St, near The Royal Dublin hotel?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Do you remember "Good Time Charlies" on O'Connell St, near The Royal Dublin hotel?

A friend of mine was a barman there..it was a bucket of blood by all acconts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A friend of mine was a barman there..it was a bucket of blood by all acconts.

I was never actually in it, just vague recollection of passing by. Older brother went and yes, by all accounts a bit on the rough side.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I was never actually in it, just vague recollection of passing by. Older brother went and yes, by all accounts a bit on the rough side.

It was owned by an egyptian bloke who also ran three or four "nightclubs" on leeson st.

He was notoriously scabby..the back office had a sign up saying "1 glass=20 pence".

A rule of thumb with establishments is that if the owner is an asshole,the doormen and barmen will also be assholes...when you pack hundreds of teenagers and lunatics into an environment like this there will be trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Anyone remember Dixons in Dun Laoire...used to love that shop..they had model trains (Lima) out the back when every other toy store (my favorite Terry's Georges st dublin) were selling Hornby....its a book shop now...nice to see it still open, when the place is turning into a goast town...and people used to slag off Holyhead...:rolleyes:
    Also Murdocks builders providers..became Iceland...not sure whats there now...Apartments...???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AlanFLynch

I worked in Apollo 1, Westmoreland Street in 1988. It was located on the corner of Fleet Street (where 'Chopped' is now).

Although they paid minimum wage, the staff were all salt-of-the-earth Dubs, and it was a nice place to work. My abiding memories are: the smell of L'Oreal Studio Line gel; girls swooning over postcards of Patrick Swayze; young male staff debating over the Tiffany and Debbie Gibson postcards as to who they'd date first; selling Swatch watches; and shunting what seemed like a million boxes of Cadbury's selection boxes to the fourth floor before Christmas.

Back then, the only foreigners in our shop were tourists. It was a world away from the Dublin of today...but sometimes I wish I could go back there.

Advertisement