Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Adrien Robinson - TE - Cincinatti
    Brandon Mosley - OT - Auburn

Mosley is a great pick up at this point. Will push Beatty and Brewer really hard and see him as a def future starter. Delighted

I admit to being a bit in the dark about Robinson. He is 6ft 5 and runs a 4.5 40. Was recruited from college as a wide-out and transferred to TE. He is not typical Giants blocking TE. Alot of potential to be the next Jimmy Graham but certainly possible to bust. Not a bad shot to take though.

2 drafts picks left in the 6th and 7th.

So far:

Dauid Wilson - RB
    Reuben Randle - WR
    Jayron Hosley - CB
    Adrien Robinson - TE
    Bradon Mosley - OT

now enough of these silly offense picks.... we want D-#

6th Rd: Matt McCants - OG/T - UAB

He is a more long term prospect than Brandon Mosley. He is 6ft 7 only weighing in at 295lbs. He has alot of upside and has a good attitude. Will be a couple of years before he is ready to go but if he knuckles down and learns from Diehl and Snee he could become a starter one day.

7th Rd: Markus Kuhn - DE/DT - NC State

I really know nothing about him. Put a link to his stats in the main draft thread. He only came to america in 2007. He is now a 25 year old rookie. Could make an impact and looking at him to try replace Tollefson. He ran a 4.89 40 at the combine which is really good.

How did we do in the draft do ye think?

My opinions:

Wilson was a bit too much of a reach for my taste and really only warrants a C grade.

Randle fell further than most people had him mocked so he does offer ualue but I dont think he offers a huge amount of upside. I'll grade it C+

Thankfully our next few picks could really work out.

Hosley and Mosley are both excellent picks where we got them and I think both will push really hard for playing time and I think Mosley will be starter before end of the season. Both of these get an A.

Robinson & McCants are both about potential. We wont get much benfit in 2012 but if they buckle down could get make an impact in 2013. B grade here

Kuhn in the 7th is a bit of an unknown. Could be anything and hard to grade. Maybe has a bit of upside and not needed as a starter. If his combine 40 is right he could make special teams.

Happy enough with our draft. Ideally i'd hau drafted a DE/DT in the 1st and taken a late round flyer on a RB.

Other than that hard to argue and we could get 3 starters in ther near future from this draft class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

As I said before, I was very surprised with us drafting a RB in the first. He didn't address a vital need but he looks good and will complement Bradshaw well.

Rueben Randle looks like a bit of a reach but if he works out it could be a steal.

Hosley. Nice replacement for Aaron Ross.

Mosley I really like. A 4th round starter in my eyes.

Overall I am happy with the draft.

In saying that our competition has gotten a lot better too. Eagles especially. Gonna be a tough NFC East this season.

Oh joy.

NY Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora rips GM Jerry Reese, saying GM is making him look like 'greedy pig'
    One day after the Giants’ GM insisted the team has offered Umenyiora a contract extension in each of the last two seasons, the unhappy defensive end fired back, saying Reese was distorting the truth to make him look like “a greedy pig.” In an email to the Daily News on Sunday, Umenyiora said the Giants’ offer last summer wasn’t actually an extension, and their offer this year wasn’t much of an offer at all. Umenyiora didn’t go as far as he did last spring, when he accused Reese of being a liar in a court affidavit, but his anger was still clear.

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »

Yea anyone else bored of Osi's carry on at this stage. Shud hau traded him before the draft. Thank god it's his final offseason as a Giant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea anyone else bored of Osi's carry on at this stage. Shud hau traded him before the draft. Thank god it's his final offseason as a Giant

Meh, I think this is a good thing for the Giants. He'll have to play out of his mind to get the money he thinks he deserves and I imagine a team will provide him with that next year.

Don't really want to see him traded at this stage, unless a team desperately wants him and we can get high pick.

Look at Jermey Shockey... That ended badly for him and Osi is going the same route.

Cruz, Nicks, Tuck, Webster, Boley, Joesph, Beatty, Phillips all will be have to be paid by 2014. I know Cruz is 2013 and KP too. Osi ain't getting money off the Giants.

Meh, I think this is a good thing for the Giants. He'll have to play out of his mind to get the money he thinks he deserves and I imagine a team will provide him with that next year.

Don't really want to see him traded at this stage, unless a team desperately wants him and we can get high pick.

Look at Jermey Shockey... That ended badly for him and Osi is going the same route.

Cruz, Nicks, Tuck, Webster, Boley, Joesph, Beatty, Phillips all will be have to be paid by 2014. I know Cruz is 2013 and KP too. Osi ain't getting money off the Giants.

Phillips wont be getting paid either.

Nicks will be looking at Larry/Megatron money which is something they really need to plan for.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Phillips wont be getting paid either.

Nicks will be looking at Larry/Megatron money which is something they really need to plan for.

I still feel KP can move up another level.

We signed Martinek too this year. I thought Hynoski did well last year, he'll always be a hero for recovering that Nicks fumble. I think we've done well at depth but we are a little light if Osi decides to fold his arm for a year. I'm not gassed at Tolly either. I thought he done well enough and actually was an excellent back-up. I just don't want Trattou thrown in.

I still feel KP can move up another level.

We signed Martinek too this year. I thought Hynoski did well last year, he'll always be a hero for recovering that Nicks fumble. I think we've done well at depth but we are a little light if Osi decides to fold his arm for a year. I'm not gassed at Tolly either. I thought he done well enough and actually was an excellent back-up. I just don't want Trattou thrown in.

I love Hynosaurus. Legend and had a great season out of the backfield and a really good blocker. I can see Martinek getting practie squad if he works out.

Losing Tollefson is a blow. He is not a star or even a starter but he was an excellent relief player to give JPP or Tuck a rest for a few downs.

Very possible Osi could say stuff it this year. He is making out that he is the victim in all this and that Reese and Giants treating him badly. Such a shame for him to end his Giants career like this. Could have gone down as an all time great like Strahan but will be remembered more in the Barber/Shockey mould at this stage.

• Advertisement

The Safety we signed as a UDFA Jansen Jackson. He could turn out to be a steal.

He was voted to the all-coaches SEC team in 2010.

He has off-field issues. Was arrested for armed robbery but all charges were dropped as he was found to not be aware of what was going on. Has had the seemingly obligatory substance abuse run-ins with the law as well. All this got him dismissed from Tennessee State and landed with McNeese State near his home town to finish.

From a playing stand-point he has played both corner and safety. He apparenly could stand to gain 10-15lbs to help with his hard hitting playing style (i'm sure this can be done with a proper NFL conditioning programme)

He was the 11th ranked safety in this years draft class (2 spots behind Pats 2nd round pick Tavon Wilson)

Much like Alfonso Dennard or Vontaze Burfict it really all depends on Jackson landing with the right team and a coacing staff who invest the time and a group of vets to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Over to you Coughlin, Fewell, Tuck and Boley

Analysis of our UDFA signings.

Few with a bit of potential there.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/5/1/2991036/new-york-giants-udfa-review-is-there-a-victor-cruz-in-this-years-crop

Jackson the safety, Broha a DE and Martinek a RB/HB are the ones with the best chance to make the final cut.

Martinek more than likely will end up on the practise squad though

Here is a review of our drafted players and how they might fit in. Good article.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/4/29/2987535/invictus-xis-draft-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Complete rumour mill stuff at this stage but lots of talk of Osi to the Ravens
    They were interested in him two years ago but it never happened, snapped up Cory Redding from Seattle instead and that worked out well

Osi for a third?

I don't know will it happen, wouldn't be shocked if it did. Ravens D-line is ridiculously young and while that isn't a bad thing a veteran player would be good too

Win-win for both teams but depends on the salary too, Ravens have very little cap space

Nothing confirmed, I'll post it up anyway

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Complete rumour mill stuff at this stage but lots of talk of Osi to the Ravens
    They were interested in him two years ago but it never happened, snapped up Cory Redding from Seattle instead and that worked out well

Osi for a third?

I don't know will it happen, wouldn't be shocked if it did. Ravens D-line is ridiculously young and while that isn't a bad thing a veteran player would be good too

Win-win for both teams but depends on the salary too, Ravens have very little cap space

Nothing confirmed, I'll post it up anyway

Prob knee-jerk reaction to Suggs going down today. Sad to see Osi go but probably best for all concerned.

I would like to get a 2nd round pck but a 3rd be ok.

We signed 3 UNFA's yesterday. They include wide receiver Brandon Collins of Southeast Louisiana, linebacker Jake Muasau of Georgia State and safety Will Hill of Florida.

Muasau was voted by his teammates as Georgia State’s Most Valuable Defensive Player in 2010 and 2011

Chad Jones has been waived too. Poor chap.

Chad Jones has been waived too. Poor chap.

Yea. It was always going to be a long shot even if he made it to training camp.

Wouldn't mind one of them!

Can't wait for America's Game for the Giant's this year.

Weatherford went mad on Twitter last night with the pictures.

• Advertisement

That is some kick in the nuts. We love our ****ing injuries.

Osi restructures. He'll still be a FA in March but he's happy and will shut up for the year.

This works well because we can't afford him next year but he's going to play hard for the big $$$ in FA.

Osi restructures. He'll still be a FA in March but he's happy and will shut up for the year.

Th works well because we can't afford him next year but he's going to play hard for the big $$$ in FA.

Wonder if they will start Tuck alot at DT with Osi & JPP at DE. Need all 3 on the field as much as possible.

Martellus Bennett has weighed in over 30lbs overweight for pre-season. Nice to see he was concerned about making a good impression. Out TE coach was not best impressed going by his comments.

Could Bennett be about to blow what is a great oppurtunity for him to win a starting job. If he blows at the Giants no-one will touch him.

I was actually optimistic about Bennett signing. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Maybe he got more than he deserved but thank God the Osi saga is over. Whether he stays or goes after next season, at least he'll play his heart out looking to impress the Giants or another employer.

JJ wrote: »
    Maybe he got more than he deserved but thank God the Osi saga is over. Whether he stays or goes after next season, at least he'll play his heart out looking to impress the Giants or another employer.

Yea he is playing for one final pay day so least we should expect 1 great year. I wouldnt really want to hold onto him irregardless after the season

Jake Ballard has been released. He failed his physical! Kinda shocked tbh.

• Advertisement

Jake Ballard has been released. He failed his physical! Kinda shocked tbh.

If he clears waivers he'll be re-signed and put on IR. Dont understand why they simply couldnt place him straight on IR, perhaps something to do with new CBA, but he will be back as a Giant.

What it really shows is that he will prob not be back till mid-season I imagine.

Advertisement