Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC - Panel Batt Flt

• 21-02-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone on here can advise - have message on my HKC Securewatch 8/12 saying "Panel Batt Flt" which by my powers of deduction has led me to opening the panel to see a 12volt 7.0 amp battery model PS-1270 F1.

(reading through these threads I see that it might be live inside - didn't know that until after I opened the panel but thanks to my ignorance of alarm systems I didn't touch anything :o)

I'm assuming that the fault message I am getting is to replace this battery? (It's 5 years old)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone on here can advise - have message on my HKC Securewatch 8/12 saying "Panel Batt Flt" which by my powers of deduction has led me to opening the panel to see a 12volt 7.0 amp battery model PS-1270 F1.

(reading through these threads I see that it might be live inside - didn't know that until after I opened the panel but thanks to my ignorance of alarm systems I didn't touch anything :o)

I'm assuming that the fault message I am getting is to replace this battery? (It's 5 years old)

Thanks.

Yes there is live mains in the control panel located at the top so be careful.
    Yes, just disconnect the battery and replace it with a new one.
    Here is a link to the suppliers to source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

altor wrote: »
    Yes there is live mains in the control panel located at the top so be careful.
    Yes, just disconnect the battery and replace it with a new one.
    Here is a link to the suppliers to source one.

Hi Altor

Have checked the suppliers list. Can you pm me a price and supply and fit ? I'm in Terenure area. (Will alarm work for awhile in meantime?)

Thanks

Hi Altor

Have checked the suppliers list. Can you pm me a price and supply and fit ? I'm in Terenure area. (Will alarm work for awhile in meantime?)

Thanks

Easy enough to do yourself, P.M sent.

The alarm will still set with a low battery till you get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks Altor for quick response. PM received and replied to.

Thanks Altor for quick response. PM received and replied to.

Your welcome podgeandrodge. Always happy to help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'm getting a similar message to the OP on my HKC Alarm and am prepared to replace the battery myself.
    Anyone got any steps/guidelines for doing this?
    Thanks.

Very easy to do.

Always turn off the mains going to the control panel as there is a risk of electric shock.

If the battery is completely dead the outside bell should ring till you replace the battery.

Open the control panel, disconnect the old battery and insert the new one. It is a 12v 7 Amp replacement battery.

Alarm will activate, simply enter your code on the keypad to silence.

Close up control panel, turn on the mains.

Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

My hkc has the orange light on saying "panel batt flt" can someone pm a price to put in replacement battery? I'm based in swords

Keith C wrote: »
    My hkc has the orange light on saying "panel batt flt" can someone pm a price to put in replacement battery? I'm based in swords

Hi Keith C,

The battery replacement you need is a 12V 7 Amp battery.
    To replace, turn off mains, open control panel, disconnect the battery located in the bottom. Replace with new battery making sure you connect positive to the red lead and negative to the black lead. Close up the control panel and turn back on the mains. When the alarm activates simply put in your user code to turn it off. When the alarm is down powered the alarm will ring outside until you are finished.

The battery is widly available from any of the suppliers on the suppliers list here.

Any problems, let us know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Keith C wrote: »
    can someone pm a price to put in replacement battery?

They can go anywhere from €10 in suppliers to €50 or €60 in Maplins & the likes so shop around.
    Fitting it yourself is simple as Altor has described.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 aberlour

thanks folks for all the info on this thread. Just bought a new battery on Wesco in newbridge replaced as instructed here and worked as a charm. cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad to be able to help & happy you got it sorted. Any future hassles you know where we are.

aberlour wrote: »
    thanks folks for all the info on this thread. Just bought a new battery on Wesco in newbridge replaced as instructed here and worked as a charm. cheers

Thats what the forum is all about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Hi,

I've seen the good advise given here so wanted to jump on board.

My tennants texted me to advise of the "panel Batt Flt" on HKC securewatch I had installed about 7 years ago.

As per the advise here, I have sourced the new battery (12V 7 amp) and I'm thinking it's quite large.

Does this go into the control panel ( keypad) or into the metal casing that's in my utility room ?

If it's the control panel does this just clip off or are there screws somewhere holding it in ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

It goes in the large metal box. Ha ha how did you figure it would fit in the keypad:D
    Anyways when you take the lid off the metal box the alarm might activate but no worries just put in the code.

It goes in the large metal box. Ha ha how did you figure it would fit in the keypad:D
    Anyways when you take the lid off the metal box the alarm might activate but no worries just put in the code.

Ha thanks just assumed control panel so in behind the keypad until I saw the size of the battery !

Cheers, should there be a separate switch in fusebox for that, or safer to turn off all the power ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

Jasper79 wrote: »
    Ha thanks just assumed control panel so in behind the keypad until I saw the size of the battery !

Cheers, should there be a separate switch in fusebox for that, or safer to turn off all the power ?

When I replaced mine I killed all mains power, just to be sure.

Would advise you to do the same.

jprboy wrote: »
    When I replaced mine I killed all mains power, just to be sure.

Would advise you to do the same.

Thanks yeah will do the same

It goes inside the main control panel in the utility room.
    It just sits on the base on the panel connected by 2 leads. Observe polarity when reconnecting the new battery.
    There is live mains at the power supply at the top of the panel. If you are unsure isolate the mains first.

KoolKid wrote: »
    It goes inside the main control panel in the utility room.
    It just sits on the base on the panel connected by 2 leads. Observe polarity when reconnecting the new battery.
    There is live mains at the power supply at the top of the panel. If you are unsure isolate the mains first.

Thanks I'm going to call in tomorrow evening change gonna turn off all power to be safe !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

If you cut all the power youre going to need the engineer code to reset the time and date.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    If you cut all the power youre going to need the engineer code to reset the time and date.

Ah okay I don't have that.. will it affect the alarm apart from it being a bit annoying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Evolution is right there is no need to cut the power. It is simple to open the lid and swap the battery without touching any dangerous wires at all.

Would there normally be 2 separate switches in the fusebox for the keypad and panel ?

Would there normally be 2 separate switches in the fusebox for the keypad and panel ?

No.
    The panel is powered from the mains. The keypad is powered by low voltage from the panel.

Thanks all got sorted anyways.

couldn't find a switch for the panel so turned off all power, very handy to change and date and time were still right when I put the power back on .

Thanks all got sorted anyways.

couldn't find a switch for the panel so turned off all power, very handy to change and date and time were still right when I put the power back on .

Glad you did turn it off. If your not use to working around mains then it is the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi all,

our alarm guy changed the battery about 2-3 wks ago after a 'mains flt' message. But now its at it again.

I believe that there may have been water ingress in that area as we had a blocked downpipe that was causing the gutter to backflow. Other light fittings had been acting up in that area also.
    Downpipe problem solved but now this mains flt has returned. Do you think, from epxerience, that water ingress has anything to do with this or could it possibly be mice? Or what?

I feel that maybe its running on the battery fully and there is no mains to it? As if something has happened to the feed? Or would a brand new battery hold the system (alarmed a few times a day) for 2-3 weeks? But water would cause a short wouldn't it? or could it damage an isolated circuit and not affect the rest of the house?

its just a mystery why a battery failure (or more accurately 'mains flt') would be showing after 2-3 weeks?

Theories?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi all,

our alarm guy changed the battery about 2-3 wks ago after a 'mains flt' message. But now its at it again.

I believe that there may have been water ingress in that area as we had a blocked downpipe that was causing the gutter to backflow. Other light fittings had been acting up in that area also.
    Downpipe problem solved but now this mains flt has returned. Do you think, from epxerience, that water ingress has anything to do with this or could it possibly be mice? Or what?

I feel that maybe its running on the battery fully and there is no mains to it? As if something has happened to the feed? Or would a brand new battery hold the system (alarmed a few times a day) for 2-3 weeks? But water would cause a short wouldn't it? or could it damage an isolated circuit and not affect the rest of the house?

its just a mystery why a battery failure (or more accurately 'mains flt') would be showing after 2-3 weeks?

Theories?

It could be for a lot of different reasons.
    Could of being an issue with the battery.
    If the battery level drops it reports the low battery.
    Panel not charging the battery.
    Could be a short caused by water causing an issue.
    Mains failure and then the battery discharging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Evolution1 wrote:
    Evolution is right there is no need to cut the power. It is simple to open the lid and swap the battery without touching any dangerous wires at all.

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure which switch on my main board leads to the Alarm panel, so I think I'm going to have to switch off the mains entirely just to be sure.

In addition to needing the engineer code (how would I get that? I requested an engineer manual on another thread here) to change the time and date on the keypad, are there any other steps I would need to do in order to set back up the alarm to ensure that all the sensors report their zone correctly, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement