Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Evil Computer Games thread

• 09-06-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Want to talk about the latest in brain-spoiling, mind-corrupting, time-wasting goodness? Check in here :pac:

Just finished Red Dead Redemption the other day. Loved the game, though the ending
    was quite upsetting :-( I had grown attatched to John, and it's not nearly as fun playing as Jack, with his pussified voice.

Mario Galaxy 2 out on Friday, can't wait for that, I adored the first one. Though I never got around to trying to 100% it. I'm not that insane :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Want to talk about the latest in brain-spoiling, mind-corrupting, time-wasting goodness? Check in here :pac:

Just finished Red Dead Redemption the other day. Loved the game, though the ending
    was quite upsetting :-( I had grown attatched to John, and it's not nearly as fun playing as Jack, with his pussified voice.

Mario Galaxy 2 out on Friday, can't wait for that, I adored the first one. Though I never got around to trying to 100% it. I'm not that insane :P

Yeah I'm looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well! :)

And no I did not complete the 1st 100% either. Some of them stars are freakin' impossible.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Currently playing through Pokemon Sapphire in order to alleviate holiday boredom and fill the gap before I can afford HG/SS. Also been playing a bit of multiplayer Call of Duty at various mates' houses, pretty good.

Must fire up the PS2 some day, must be some pretty good games going cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I stopped playing games when I finished the MGS series tbh. I've seen all I needed to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

jumpguy wrote: »
    I stopped playing games when I finished the MGS series tbh. I've seen all I needed to see.

Haven't played 4 but if it even comes close to the other 3 it beats every other non-MGS game except Nethack (AKA The Greatest game You Will Ever Play)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Final Fantasy X is probably my favourite.

Or Golden Sun 2 The Lost Age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Have to ask, what's the big deal with COD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Currently playing through Pokemon Sapphire in order to alleviate holiday boredom and fill the gap before I can afford HG/SS. Also been playing a bit of multiplayer Call of Duty at various mates' houses, pretty good.

Must fire up the PS2 some day, must be some pretty good games going cheap these days.

some of the best games ever made were exclusive to the ps2.

Tekken 5
    Gran turrismo 4
    Metal gear solid 3

have a look on adverts.ie sometimes you can get good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It's marketed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Well the stocks are very low at the moment and it's possible that fishing will have to be banned in the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Just bought Bioshock 2 for mah gaming PC for cheap-monies today. Gonna tuck into it after I play through Cysis for the fifth time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

You want to know what's an Evil computer game?
    Beat Hazard. nearly destroyed my brain. that game is serious wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Sadly coming to the end of No More Heroes 2 :(
    Great game I particularly loved the boss fights.

It also has the catchiest song ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

CrinkElite wrote: »
    some of the best games ever made were exclusive to the ps2.

Tekken 5
    Gran turrismo 4
    Metal gear solid 3

have a look on adverts.ie sometimes you can get good deals.

I could be wrong, but wasn't GTA: Vice City originally only on PS2? That's definitely one the greatest games ever created.

Craguls wrote: »
    Great game I particularly loved the boss fights.

It also has the catchiest song ever

As good as the first one?

phlegms wrote: »
    As good as the first one?

The 50 ranks thing is a bit of a cop out but yes it's just as good as the first one they took out the small annoying things and made the jobs better. You can pick it up for €25 in gamestop and you get to play as Shinobu and Henry in places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Craguls wrote: »

Finishing the first one is on my to-do list once I finish Mario Galaxy 2. Then I'll probably get the second one. Please tell me they've improved the bits in between missions, cause they were quite horrible in the first one from what I remember.

Finishing the first one is on my to-do list once I finish Mario Galaxy 2. Then I'll probably get the second one. Please tell me they've improved the bits in between missions, cause they were quite horrible in the first one from what I remember.

Ranking battles no longer have fees so you can go through the game without doing any jobs now. Should you do jobs though you can buy new katana's and improve Travis' stats so it kinda works out. Also all the jobs have been changed to 8 bit mini games which are kinda fun to play through.

One day I'll get No More Heroes. After I complete the 50 other games I haven't completed yet.

I'm not making much progress on that either. I just wasted the last few days of my life playing Team Fortress 2 obsessively.

Have to get Okami out of the way soon as it's not actually mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I love the Modern Warfare & MW2 games. I think overall, the cast, stories, set pieces are great. Online's pretty good despite only playing it a short time. Great games imo.

Lads, playing Half-Life two the last few days. It seems really long :O.

Just met Gregori and I gather there's still ****loads more.

• Advertisement

Crysis still retains its awesomeness despite having played through it multiple times. There are few things in life as satisfying as grabbing Korean soldiers by the throat and vaulting them hundreds of feet in the air. Also it looks super hot.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Lads, playing Half-Life two the last few days. It seems really long :O.

Just met Gregori and I gather there's still ****loads more.
    I think you're somewhere around the half-way point of the game. Try playing through Ravenholm using only the gravity gun some time.

You also have Episode 1 and Episode 2 to play after you finish the original so you've got plenty to do.

Oh yeah and read this after you've finished HL2.

Davidius wrote: »
    Try playing through Ravenholm using only the gravity gun some time.

Hmmm, does launching **** at enemies actually kill them then?
    Also I assume launching explosives sets them off.

I can't really remember. It's certainly possible as there's an achievement going for it. The small blunt objects probably don't but there's usually a good number of saw blades and medium sized objects. I'm fairly sure you can kill headcrabs by just "firing" with the gravity gun when they're close too.

And yeah launching explosives causes them to explode on contact last I remember.

Yes, it kills them pretty gloriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Evil computer games, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Currently playing through Heart Gold and looking forward to Mario Galaxy 2! Going to be such an awesome game! I still have to finish Half Life 2, started playing it earlier this year but got distracted by college

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I still have a copy of one of the most notorious "evil" games of the last generation, that being Manhunt.

Right now, however, I'm torn between Minesweeper and Free Cell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

syncosised wrote: »
    Evil computer games, eh?
    oh god not that song
    please, no, not that song...

Also, I SERIOUSLY want DJ Hero right now. It just looks so.. good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I still have a copy of one of the most notorious "evil" games of the last generation, that being Manhunt.

...and t'was useless I heard.

Advertisement