Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Just finished it there, great story and graphics but it felt very repititive, nice game though.

Going down to Gamestop now to trade it in for red dead, love being off on Fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

You could trade in Battlefield Kev:D:D:D Kidding.

na cant do that still have a few of the clans tags to get.i see rase has red dead if a few of the bb2 heads get it we could get a posey together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

exioot wrote: »
    Just finished it there, great story and graphics but it felt very repititive, nice game though.

Going down to Gamestop now to trade it in for red dead, love being off on Fridays

Same here the last episode i had to push through to just finish the game. Only so many guys coming from shadows you can put up with before it becomes repetitive and i always had the had to finish it to trade for Red dead in my head.

Looks great but was a little bit dissapointed since they have been pushing this as an amazing experience for the last 2 years. Similar to Heavy Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The free DLC is to fill the gap and flesh out the story more about what happenes between season 1 and 2.

Having finished this today, this is something i hated about the game. If i'm paying for a game I'd like to have a complete coherent story included without having to be forced to hold onto it in order to understand the fecking plot. I don't mind cliff hangers, but i'd like there to be at least one narrative thread that has a sense of resolution. Extremely repetitve, although I did enjoy the machanics of the game. I'm giving a generous 6.5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Some details of a 2nd dlc leaked today also, to be taken with a dollop of salt though http://helldescent.com/2010/05/22/2nd-alan-wake-dlc-called-the-writer/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

calex71 wrote: »
    Some details of a 2nd dlc leaked today also, to be taken with a dollop of salt though http://helldescent.com/2010/05/22/2nd-alan-wake-dlc-called-the-writer/

Sounds promising, but I can't imagine Remedy using the description 'the thing' for the synopsis of the episode. It sounds like even they don't know what it is, which ofcourse makes no sense considering the amount of time and care they invested in making Alan Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I finished it within 24 hours and traded it in for Red Dead but I'm kind of missing it already. Very short and not what I was hoping for from this game to be honest but I really enjoyed it in the end.

A few years ago it was portrayed as an open world game with a bit of a supernatural element to it, which is what really interested me as I love open world games and I wanted to play one in a rural environment. It ended up being a linear game where you go around in the dark shooting zombies, but I still really liked it. Will definitely pick up the game of the year version whenever all the dlc is released for it. Don't fancy paying a fortune to get them all individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished today and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay itself was samey but I never got bored and the story was pretty good. Barry and the rest of the supporting cast were good too.What was it, flaming eye of Mordor? :D
    The soundtrack was really stand out though. I got the actual CD with my special edition and its had a few spins.
    I thought the ending was great. More satisfying than the usual fare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Finished it there this evening (late starter, had to wait on a new xbox :( ) I actually really enjoyed it, it was tough in places without being too hard, I could feel every muscle in my body relax whenever I got under a light :)

It was quite short and very linear, but sometimes you just need a bit of light shoot shoot light RUN RUN RUN light ARGH in a game.

I felt the cutscenes went on a bit though, but I liked the way it was laid out in episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I felt the end was way too easy. 3 flares and I won! I was expecting to fight your one at the end too. Oh well good game in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The writing in the manuscript pages really is awful. There are even sentences that make absolutely no sense and sometimes what is read out is different to what is up on the screen.
    Felt like the episode of Futurama where the brains take over the world and Fry traps the big brain in a poorly written book of his own creation.

"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin!"

I did enjoy the game a lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

oh very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished this, liked it for the most part. When the combat worked, it was pretty damn tense. Throwing down a flare, focusing your light on one of the enemies, firing off a few rounds, flash bang... it's very intense, effective combat. The setting may be derivative of countless others from other mediums, but it's a pleasant change of pace for gaming. I liked the manuscript pages idea, as I said elsewhere turning a dark corner is just as creepy when you know what might be around it! Story had loads of interesting ideas, the delivery may have been weird on occasion (the lip synching is crazy bad) but there's some thought in it about issues of art, creativity and personal demons. Just kind of stops though at the end (a sudden stop ;)), although I'm sure DLC and a second 'season' will continue the story on. Loved the episodic structure actually, makes a lot of sense in a game that takes a good few sessions to play through, like a DVD boxset. Most episodes were a bit too long however, although I may just have been OCD with the manuscript pages. There definitely were breaks in episodes 3-5 that could have been split into two seperate hour episodes rather than the 2-2.5 hours it took me to complete them.

The only major issue I had with the game was repetition, particularly in episode six. There is too much of the game just devoted to walking through dark forests. Granted, there are often surprises, but the core of the gameplay barely advances after episode two or three. Luckily, there are set pieces that are exciting and scary enough to pull you back in, but it is a repetitive game.

Overall, definitely liked it, and am delighted Remedy created something different to the norm. The flaws are obvious, but with DLC and a sequel actually working and warranted by the structure of the game, I'm curious to see how the story will progress, and if Remedy have a few more gameplay tricks up there sleeves. Something other than forests though please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Just finished the game there on hard mode .

I’m scratching my head a bit, im lost...

Can someone explain the ending and the meaning...

I played the game in parts( thanks to red dead ) and I slightly lost the story.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Just finished the game there on hard mode .

I’m scratching my head a bit, im lost...

Can someone explain the ending and the meaning...

I played the game in parts( thanks to red dead ) and I slightly lost the story.

thanks

The latest Joystiq podcast has a 'Spoiled Rotten' for ALan Wake at the end of the show. They do a good job of discussing and offering different interpretations of the ending. Better than I would be able to on a Monday anyway!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/02/joystiq-podcast-143-mr-scratch-edition/

The SPoiled Rotten section is at the end and starts at 1:35:42

I heard it discussed somewhere else recently too, I think the latest Giant Bomb podcast talks about the ending too. Could be wrong. I've been listening to a tonne of podcasts lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After stopping around the start of episode 3 about 6 weeks ago, I finally started into this again over the weekend, and I'm up to episode 5 at the moment. I'm enjoying it alot....

I assume The Signal is out in Europe tomorrow too? I just checked my box, and I still have the free redemption code card for the DLC. Looking forward to going straight into the next part of the story once I'm done with the main game.

IGN Review of The Signal
    9/10
    - its as long as one of the episodes in the main game, but action packed and introduces some new gameplay elements.

Looks like it is out tomorrow...
    Another review: Eurogamer
    6/10
    ... hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks like it is out tomorrow...
    Another review: Eurogamer
    6/10
    ... hmmm....
    Well, in fairness they gave the original game
    7/10
    ;)

How cares what's it's like it's free and it has cheesements :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I made the silly mistake of entering the code in when I first got the game without reading up about the dlc..d'oh! Anyone know if I can still get it for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Moiph wrote: »
    I made the silly mistake of entering the code in when I first got the game without reading up about the dlc..d'oh! Anyone know if I can still get it for free?
    I'm pretty sure you can still get it, it said on SUAM that they'll have to email you another one... not sure if you have to apply for it or not though...

I'm really looking forward to The Signal now. Finally got around to finding all the collectibles over the last few days and got the full 1000 points on it. Don't think there's any coffee thermoses in the DLC anyway! :P

Has anyone managed to get this yet? I remember vaguely when I got the game using the code and something about an other code being emailed too me :confused:

Edit: Seems there will be a code emailed tomorrow to download it

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Don't think there's any coffee thermoses in the DLC anyway! :P

More collectables though....

Tick Tock (30)
    Special 1: Discover all hidden alarm clocks.

Cardboard Companion (25)
    Special 1: Discover all of the cardboard standees.

The DLC is available now, apparently...

More collectables though....

Tick Tock (30)
    Special 1: Discover all hidden alarm clocks.

Cardboard Companion (25)
    Special 1: Discover all of the cardboard standees.

The DLC is available now, apparently...

Yeah but at least it's not thermoses! The clocks make noise apparently. I redeemed my code early for some reason. Hope it's easy enough to sort out. If not I'll prob buy it anyway. Alan Wake's one of my dag games of the year so itching for some more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I redeemed my code early for some reason. Hope it's easy enough to sort out. If not I'll prob buy it anyway.

Don't buy it, you should get an e-mail with a new code to get The Signal for free. They've been sent out in the US, we'll probably follow shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

UK ones have been sent out or should be arriving in the next 24 hours. Outside of the UK they should arrive in 24-48 hours.

Any sign of the codes yet? Nothing here :(

What's this about codes and emails? I just redeemed the code on the card that came with the game, that prompted me to download the DLC, and it shows up on the downloaded content menu in the game. Is this for people who redeemed the code back in May?

Finished the main game last night. Stood beside the flare box firing flares for 20 minutes wondering how long this was supposed to take. Felt pretty stupid when I figured out what I was supposed to do (and that I only needed 3 flares).

Started the DLC last night... more dodging than fighting at the start - 24 bullets and lots of taken does not make for good odds. :)

• Advertisement

What's this about codes and emails? I just redeemed the code on the card that came with the game, that prompted me to download the DLC, and it shows up on the downloaded content menu in the game. Is this for people who redeemed the code back in May?

Yeah , there was some avatar items or something you got if you redeemed it, and it said they would mail you the code when the dlc was out.

Advertisement