Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's hear your Music !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I'm with the 'Rat I'm afraid ...

See I have a problem with this. You and Rat. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? As opposed to just criticism? I'm not claiming to be the next Brendan O'Brien. I never have, in fact I've been entirely open about my less-than-modest set-up.

Paul, before you even surfaced here, this place was Recording, Mixing and Pro Audio. There were monthly collaborations and mixing contests. And people supported each other, because they recognised that a forum like this would cater for all abilities. I've replied in more than my share of "How do I record music on my PC" threads, because I like helping people out.

I really don't appreciate your abrupt and unhelpful comments. As someone who knows infinetely more about music production than I, I don't think providing some basic pointers would be all that taxing. Your ass was dragged through feedback more than once because more than a few members were worried that you'd use this forum as a springboard for your retail outlet. And I disagreed because I thought a forum like this stands or falls by the knowledge pooled.

But if you and the other 'pros' would rather make glib remarks than share what you know, then you can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

TelePaul wrote: »
    See I have a problem with this. You and Rat. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? As opposed to just criticism? I'm not claiming to be the next Brendan O'Brien. I never have, in fact I've been entirely open about my less-than-modest set-up.

Paul, before you even surfaced here, this place was Recording, Mixing and Pro Audio. There were monthly collaborations and mixing contests. And people supported each other, because they recognised that a forum like this would cater for all abilities. I've replied in more than my share of "How do I record music on my PC" threads, because I like helping people out.

I really don't appreciate your abrupt and unhelpful comments. As someone who knows infinetely more about music production than I, I don't think providing some basic pointers would be all that taxing. Your ass was dragged through feedback more than once because more than a few members were worried that you'd use this forum as a springboard for your retail outlet. And I disagreed because I thought a forum like this stands or falls by the knowledge pooled.

But if you and the other 'pros' would rather make glib remarks than share what you know, then you can **** right off.

TP ,

You should know well at this stage myself and D'Rat will often take the pizz!
    We're only havin' a laugh ... No offense, ok?

Regarding the track, the weakest link is the vocals in my opinion.

They are both often out of tune and out of time - having said that Neil was never known as pitch perfect.

The guitars are quite out of tune too.

These are issues that really only take effort to address, not any great technical knowledge.

Regarding this place before I 'surfaced' ... I'm not stopping anyone posting anything, once it's within the charter. In fact, as a Mod I think you'll agree that I've been practically invisible.

I hope you'll also agree I've made many many posts with accurate useful information ...... as well as taking the pizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Yeah the drums are loops, I'm looking into alternatives. And I built a Cajon, so that might be good.

Speaking of collaborations, I just sent you a PM...

(and what on Earth is a Cajon?... a type of chicken? :D )

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

I listened to the track when it was still up and didn't dig it, though there was potential there in the minimal approach to the arrangement.
    I'd agree that constructive criticism is always better to get than a one liner, though I'm sure the guys meant no offense.
    I had similar issues as Paul, the vocals and acoustic could have been better.

I'd always hold off on putting anything up where you're not 100% happy with the performance. In my experience as a listener, it can be quite difficult to listen to a mix critically if there are elements of the performance that are bothering me. It's distracting. And ultimately, if the performance isn't up to scratch, you're going to get feedback on the performance instead of the mix, the arrangement, the production!

Wait until you know you've done the best you can. That's the time to ask how to make it better, cause you've given it everything, and any feedback you get you'll learn from. Otherwise you're just getting told to work on things you already know how to improve (better takes, some more editting, etc.).

And you never get a second chance at a first impression.

BTW, if you haven't heard it, you should check out Dave Matthews Band's version of Cortez the Killer from Live At Central Park. Crackin.

The guitars weren't out of tune. 12 string and two electric rhythms in a variation of D modal tuning. Lead in standard. Nothing out of tune.

• Advertisement

Regarding this place before I 'surfaced' ... I'm not stopping anyone posting anything, once it's within the charter. In fact, as a Mod I think you'll agree that I've been practically invisible.

Way to completely miss my point. Nicely done.

The guitars weren't out of tune. 12 string and two electric rhythms in a variation of D modal tuning. Lead in standard. Nothing out of tune.

What's the point in me offering advice (your initial criticism) if you won't take it?

I could clearly hear one of the chords ringing out of tune, also expressed by another poster. I'd suggest it's probably a guitar's intonation. It's very difficult to get a guitar to play 3 full chords in tune.

If you'd care to post the track again I can point it out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sorry Paul,
    But you did ask, my bedside manner must be slipping.
    It's not really that bad, I've heard worse and done worse me-self. I felt it was a bit slow, I like the drum sounds but it should swing a bit more. The vocals sound nervous. Didn't have any problem with the tech side of the recording.
    Personally I think that kind of a thing sounds much better with a band.

The test is if you keep listening, I didn't, sorry.
    Get a drummer;)

EDIT: the tuning thing is down to taste, I don't mind a bit of a honk out of that type of sound regarding the tuning. The brewer is a stickler for the tuning, I'll let it go if it has a bit of attitude.

fitz wrote: »

And you never get a second chance at a first impression.

if you're sittin' down the pub,
    on a little session,
    and you see a girl you like,
    just make this connection,
    you never get a second chance,
    to make a first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

on a little session,
    to make a first impression,

The Ace of Spades, The Ace of Spades.

• Advertisement

no, it's dangerous dave and the side effects.
    probably the most important and most influential lyricist to come out of the county wicklow ever.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=20584331

You obviously know nothing!

studiorat wrote: »
    on a little session,
    to make a first impression.

Where'd you get that? offa the Walton's? ....and I don't mean the music shop-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52z2HMSZJ3A

Where'd you get that? offa the Walton's? ....and I don't mean the music shop-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52z2HMSZJ3A

Link above check.
    he a legend,
    the bridge taverns answer to John Cooper Clarke.

studiorat wrote: »

You obviously know nothing!

That's well established at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭deathronan

http://www.myspace.com/thehandlessorganists

feedback would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Just posted a new track I did on Pro tools 8

Click below here please
    www.myspace.com/blackhorserecordings

deathronan wrote: »
    http://www.myspace.com/thehandlessorganists

feedback would be much appreciated :)

Really like the drum sounds, really big in X marks the spot, good stuff, feel good music it is to and there is never enough of that, well done, nice sounds. Not on the moon has great beats, really like the sound allot. All the vocals sounds are really cool aswell, well implemented, fair play.

No one at anything of any interest then?

Yeah I like the big warm vocal sound and the electric guitars sound great, nice job. The song 'shelter' is 5 minutes long which is very long, they remind me of a mixture of Dublin Indie bands from a few years back. The drums on the 2nd track sound absolutely amazing.

mattfender wrote: »

Great potential, the singer has a nice Irish sound, they need to be recorded properly obviously and they are live recordings I take it to, good stuff.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Ok, well here's some Dance/Trance/Electronica - the more recent material will be around in March, so can't post much until then really :)

Between worlds is a savage track amigos, love pedro. Website looking beast.

• Advertisement

you can check out my lot here - www.myspace.com/beastmenmusic

Woe so much energy~! and real tight guitars, good stuff. Great name for a band BEASTMEN! Needs some vocals though no?>

Two bands I have been playing with.

www.myspace.com/shanebarryofficial Nice songs, good happy vibe, nice guitar and keys.

www.myspace.com/thelullabees Nice and tight good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

dav nagle wrote: »
    Just posted a new track I did on Pro tools 8

Click below here please
    www.myspace.com/blackhorserecordings

That's really cool, very laid back. nice one Dav.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Between worlds is a savage track amigos, love pedro. Website looking beast.

Cheers :) - I love messing with Robs music, pure joy to remix his work.

In regards to the site - you ain't seen nothing yet lads :) - watch this space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Woe so much energy~! and real tight guitars, good stuff. Great name for a band BEASTMEN! Needs some vocals though no?>

Cheers dav! As for the vocals none of the five of can sing! - well we don't actually want to have much vocals in our stuff, think too much of modern music is focused on the vocals - quite a few of our influences are instrumental - we've one or two "songs" in the pipeline alright but won't be of the traditional variety!
    we do have some vocoder action going on aswell!
    Thanks for taking the time to listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Few more tunes up if anyone is interested!

www.myspace.com/beastmenmusic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Great potential, the singer has a nice Irish sound, they need to be recorded properly obviously and they are live recordings I take it to, good stuff.

Thanks man, we'll be recording a single soon in a ProTools ridden studio so really looking forward to see how it goes.:pac:

Another track we (re)Produced a few months ago ....

The Vocal and Guitars on the Mid 8 are from the original track, we re did everything else!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzw9Kr7FHR0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭dasdog

Just saw this thread and I've only been getting back in to recording after a gap of a good few years. Funk/Rock stuff with me on guitar (x4) and a borrowed bass plus a drum loop chopped and sequenced in Reason. As was always usual it's far from complete:

http://rapidshare.com/files/193993682/_3314FDH-1.mp3.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Another track we (re)Produced a few months ago ....

The Vocal and Guitars on the Mid 8 are from the original track, we re did everything else!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzw9Kr7FHR0

Is it me, or are the guitars that come in on the chorus way too loud... they realy leap out (not on headphones) - i suppose the youtube encoding isn't helping here, but there's a really annoying frequency going on with it - is there a higher stream of it somewhere?

Advertisement