Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

bigkev49 wrote: »
    While doing my undergrad, level 8, I was never eligible for a grant as my parents income was over the threshold. I've been accepted onto a level 9 course and I'm living independently of my parents and qualify as a mature student.

Here comes the kicker, they are now telling me, at the public counter and over the phone, that I need to be out of college for 12 months between levels 8 + 9 to qualify for a mature student grant :mad:.

Is this cast iron? It seems like a nonsense that they are happy enough to pay me nearly €10,000 in social welfare for the next 12 months but won't give me a grant to further my education and increase the chance that I will be paying into the exchequer rather than taking away from it.:(

Are TD's and local representatives much help with stuff like this?

Cheers.

Hi bigkev49,

Unfortunately, it's pretty watertight. This is from the HEG Scheme 2009/10:

You are eligible to apply for a grant if:
    • You are entering an approved course for the first time in the 2009/10 academic year OR
    • You are re-entering college, after a break of at least one year, in order to complete an approved course at undergrad level for the first time OR
    • You are re-entering college, after a break of at least one year, in order to pursue or complete an approved course at postgrad level for the first time OR
    • You already hold a postgrad qualification and wish to pursue a postgrad course which represents progression (e.g. you hold a Masters and wish to pursue a PhD) OR
    • You started, but did not finish an approved course and are re-entering after a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue a different approved course at the same level.

Taking point 3 above into account, if you are going straight from your undergrad to your postgrad, your grant status will remain the same as it was when you started your undergrad. Sorry :(

In other good news, in a recent announcement by the Department of Education, that 1 year period will increase to 3 years from 2010/11:

Minister O'Keeffe gave notice that, with effect from the start of the 2010/11 academic year, further changes will be introduced. These include:
    • Some social welfare allowances, including the Back to Education Allowance which had been excluded in the means-testing process, will be included as reckonable income in assessing eligibility for student grants;
    • The income tax adjustment for farm stock relief will be disregarded in calculating reckonable income for means-testing purposes;
    • The residency requirement in the State for grant eligibility will be increased from one year to three out of the past five years for the student - a move that's in line with provisions already outlined in the Student Support Bill;
    • The duration of the break in studies required for re-entry as an independently assessed mature student will be increased from one year to three years.
    Minister O'Keeffe said: 'I'm announcing these changes for the 2010/11 academic year so that students and their families are notified well in advance and have reasonable time to prepare.
    'The new measures will ensure better equity and equality in calculating eligibility to student maintenance grants so that we can continue to target public resources at those who need them most.'

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ditmature wrote: »
    Hi bigkev49,

Bob

Cheers for that Bob.

Can anyone explain the merit or logic in this measure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

ditmature wrote: »
    Hi bigkev49,

You are eligible to apply for a grant if:
    • You are entering an approved course for the first time in the 2009/10 academic year OR
    • You are re-entering college, after a break of at least one year, in order to complete an approved course at undergrad level for the first time OR
    • You are re-entering college, after a break of at least one year, in order to pursue or complete an approved course at postgrad level for the first time OR
    • You already hold a postgrad qualification and wish to pursue a postgrad course which represents progression (e.g. you hold a Masters and wish to pursue a PhD) OR
    • You started, but did not finish an approved course and are re-entering after a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue a different approved course at the same level.
    Taking point 3 above into account, if you are going straight from your undergrad to your postgrad, your grant status will remain the same as it was when you started your undergrad. Sorry :(

In other good news, in a recent announcement by the Department of Education, that 1 year period will increase to 3 years from 2010/11:

Minister O'Keeffe gave notice that, with effect from the start of the 2010/11 academic year, further changes will be introduced. These include:
    • Some social welfare allowances, including the Back to Education Allowance which had been excluded in the means-testing process, will be included as reckonable income in assessing eligibility for student grants;
    • The income tax adjustment for farm stock relief will be disregarded in calculating reckonable income for means-testing purposes;
    • The residency requirement in the State for grant eligibility will be increased from one year to three out of the past five years for the student - a move that's in line with provisions already outlined in the Student Support Bill;
    • The duration of the break in studies required for re-entry as an independently assessed mature student will be increased from one year to three years.
    Minister O'Keeffe said: 'I'm announcing these changes for the 2010/11 academic year so that students and their families are notified well in advance and have reasonable time to prepare.
    'The new measures will ensure better equity and equality in calculating eligibility to student maintenance grants so that we can continue to target public resources at those who need them most.'

Bob

Sorry now but just wondering does that mean (in english) that if i finish my degree and want to apply for a grant for a post grad i'd have to wait three years to be eligible... ?? if so how are these people still in government... seriously!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

PRETTY BACKWARD REALLY. They would rather pay you 3yrs dole (30k) than allow u to aply 4 grant ?????????? Crazy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stonedsour

Hey,i think i understand what im readin........but, i was looking to going back to college in sept 2010 doing a postgrad/masters, i was 23 at the beginning of this year and completed a degree in summer 08.....am I entitled to anything?!!!

Any help appreciated...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Hi, my husband lost his job in November after 17yrs in the work force. The job front is not promising. He is interested in going back to college to upskill and hopefully improve his job prospects when the economy starts to pick up. However, we have a 7yr old and a baby due in 2mths so income is a major factor here. He will get his BTEA while at college but thats not a lot to support a family, pay the mortgage/bills and travel back and forth to college. Does anyone know if he is entitled to the student grant or has this been abolished in the last budget? Like most people we are not aware of a lot of the benefits due to us. Both of us have worked all our lives (I lost my job just over year ago). Can anyone help us here to ensure we claim for what we are entitled to? Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Hi, Does anyone know if he is entitled to the student grant or has this been abolished in the last budget?

for people coming into college in 2010 it has been abolished that you can no longer get the BTEA and the Student main=tenance grant, you can get one or the other but not both, If I were yous Id stick with the BTEA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I've applied to go back to college this year. Should find out if I have been successful in a few months. I will qualify for BTEA as I have been unemployed since last May.

If I took a part time job now though, would that stop me from getting BTEA in September? Do you have to be"full time" unemployed (don't know how else to put it) or could you get a part-time job and still qualify?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I've applied to go back to college this year. Should find out if I have been successful in a few months. I will qualify for BTEA as I have been unemployed since last May.

If I took a part time job now though, would that stop me from getting BTEA in September? Do you have to be"full time" unemployed (don't know how else to put it) or could you get a part-time job and still qualify?

Thanks.

I've just been doing some research on BTEA and I read that part-time work does not affect BTEA payment so you should be ok.I find a lot of the literature available a little bit unclear. I was wondering about BTEA and doing a post-grad course but what I deduced from what I read is that only people doing teaching post-grads are eligible for BTEA. Can anyone clarify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 breadhead

Hi,

I am currently unemployed and considering going back to study next September.
    I have looked into the BTEA and find the course choice quite restrictive so am looking into other study options.
    I am just wondering about maintenance grants for mature students. I have moved back home for the time being but if I were to study next September I would move out again. Does the fact that I am living at home now and will be for the next few months affect my chances of getting a maintenance grant?
    Presently I cannot afford to move out but would do so six months down the line if starting college to be nearer.

Thanks for help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Hello,
    I recently visited my local citizens information office about going to college as a mature student, part time to get a degree.
    I am in full emlpoyment, thankfully. However this means I get nada, nothing, not a sausage. No grants what so ever.
    I personally know people who are receiving grants to go to college who are unemployed. Here the best bit, one guy told me that he was unemployed for the last 8 months and was 'advised' to remain unemployed for at least a further 4 months to qualify for the grant as he would be then a full year unemployed. Oh yeah my taxes will help pay for that.
    I am strugling with my pin to the collar with big mortgage and kids and I am willing to get a bank loan to fund a further education but I was convinced there would be at least a small grant even 10% but no!
    Welcome to Ireland 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

Hi

I am currently doing a FETAC level 5 and recieving the BTEA. I was refused the Grant last year as I had previously completed a FETAC level 5 but was hoping to get it this September coming (providing I get a place on my chosen degree course). Unfortunately with the cut backs, as people have already stated above, I can only get either the BTEA OR the Grant. I think the safer bet would be to hold onto the BTEA, it works out as alot more in the end. My concern is the tuition fee, I have heard that although I would not be entitled to the grant as a payment to myself, they will pay the yearly college fee. Is this true, can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sleepybleepy

I spoke to the county council about this. They sais that durin the last budget it was announced that they would be covering the registration fees for the BTEA's. They havent been told how this will be implemented yet, they just said to keep in touch with them over it. Maybe ring your local co co office and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

ye college fees will be paid for you so its not to bad at the end......
    I have another question. as I'm going for degree next year and I wont be able for the grant (on btea now) will I can still apply for European/Student Support Fund? I know its not a lot but 100000% it would help me with travel to Dublin and books..... I know that for Student Support (or Assistance maybe) Found I have to apply to the college but whats the story with the European one? Do I apply to t college as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smolt99

Hi Guys,

I would be grateful if anyone would recommend partime courses or additional training that would benifit someone that wants to work with people who have disabilities. I am currently completing a full term course on care assisting. I have completed modules in special needs also.
    Just wondering is there any training programes that I could use to my advantage and of course help the people whom I hope to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

I will be re-offered a college place in July (deferral).
    Should I apply for BTEA now?
    And apply for reg. fees element of grant when forms become available this summer?
    OR do I have to wait until I register with the college for my place???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

You will only get the BTEA if you have been in receipt of a Social Welfare payment for 12 months or more (9 months in certain circumstances). If you are in receipt of payment then I would suggest you apply for BTEA when you receive your acceptance letter in July, they will not go ahead with an application without proof of a placement offer.

When you register with the college, bring a letter stating you have registered with them to the Social Welfare office, the BTEA payments will be lodged into your account the following week and every week after.

In relation to registration fees, apply as soon as the forms are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I recently visited my local citizens information office about going to college as a mature student, part time to get a degree.
    I am in full emlpoyment, thankfully. However this means I get nada, nothing, not a sausage. No grants what so ever.
    I personally know people who are receiving grants to go to college who are unemployed. Here the best bit, one guy told me that he was unemployed for the last 8 months and was 'advised' to remain unemployed for at least a further 4 months to qualify for the grant as he would be then a full year unemployed. Oh yeah my taxes will help pay for that.
    I am strugling with my pin to the collar with big mortgage and kids and I am willing to get a bank loan to fund a further education but I was convinced there would be at least a small grant even 10% but no!
    Welcome to Ireland 2010

I think the problem here is that you were planning to do a part time course?I think grants only cover full time courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

Thanks Capricorn1.:)

Hi all,

Here's the current situation, as I understand it from the official documentation we have so far received from the HEA/DoES:

(BTEA = Back To Education Allowance, LAG = Local Authority Grant)

Unaffected:

- the BTEA Cost Of Education Allowance (currently €500) is unaffected

- the "Top-Up" Grant is unaffected

- any students currently receiving the BTEA and LAG (from 2009/10 or before) are entitled to continue to do so for the duration of their current programme of study

Issues:

- no "new applicants" from 2010/11 onwards will be able to claim the BTEA and LAG at the same time. Students who qualify for the BTEA will have to apply for a non-maintenance LAG to pay their Registration Fees

- students who in the past have been receiving the BTEA and LAG but are currently repeating a year (and thus have lost their LAG), will have to re-apply for the LAG in 2010/11, will thus be considered "new applicants" and not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the LAG

- students currently in Level 6 or 7 programmes and in receipt of the BTEA and LAG who wish to advance to a Level 8 programme will have to make a new application for a LAG (as there is a different grant for Level 8 programmes). They will thus be considered "new applicants" and will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the LAG

- students currently on pre-entry Access programmes who are receiving the BTEA will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the LAG should they advance to 3rd level study in 2010/11

- Lone Parents / Disability Allowance (LP/DA): I have spoken to several prospective students who have been informed that they may retain their DA or LP as full-time students (rather than switch to BTEA) and may thus be entitled to apply for the maintenance portion of the LAG. However, such students would lose their Rent Allowance, as this is only allocated to full-time students on the BTEA, not any other payment. I need to confirm this, though it does make sense.

Worth noting:

- students on the BTEA can sign on during the summer months, provided they fulfil the criteria for Jobseeker's Benefit / Allowance (JB / JA)

- students on the BTEA are entitled to work full-time during the summer months with no affect on their BTEA once lectures re-commence

- all mature students (regardless of whether they are on the BTEA or not), unlike "traditional" students, are entitled to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance
    (means-tested) during the summer months, provided they meet the criteria for JA. They are not entitled to apply for Jobseeker's Benefit.

Source: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

JA Disqualification - course of study

The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.

Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

Over and out.

Bob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dratsab.live

I've trawled through pages of posts and decided to just ask.

I am applying for the BTEA, have the forms but was told not to apply till Aug/Sept.

So, do I still apply for the Cost of Education (I've heard thats 500euro), AND
    the Student Registration/Service Charge, (which I believe is 1500euro)???

Where do I apply to for these 2 payments and is the Student Service Charge paid directly to the college or do I have to pay it and be re-imbursed.

Sorry for all the questions I'm even confusing myself!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hi dratsab, if its ur first time applyin for the BTEA u will have to wait till august to apply. U will then be given the 500euro in 1 of ur BETA payments which is paid weekly to ur bank account. I didnt get my 500 until November last year so dont be depending on gettin it straight away. If u have applied for the council grant(this is the grant that pays ur fees) u wont have to pay the 1500euro. If u have anymore questions, ask and if can answer them, i will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dratsab.live

Thanks Andrew,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Thats a great summary DITMATURE, thanks.

Hope this is not too thick a question. I qualified for a full grant starting college last year. Do I need to reapply all over again going into 2nd year or does my county council just assume I'm into second year and continue to pay me (very unlikely I guess :)). I have gone through student finance.ie and council website and all the info is about applying for the first time.

Any wise words much appreciated.

Hi Cpt Beefheart,

Your council will require you to prove that you are advancing through the programme and onto the 2nd year. Some councils send out a renewal form, others don't. Typically a copy of your exam results from 1st year is sufficient proof. I'd give them a call and see what they need and when they need it.

I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later, as while the councils give preference to grant renewals, they're going to start to get snowed under with applications in the coming months.

Bob :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

So I've got some questions on my mind that need answering and dont know where else to get the information, wondering if anyone here can help out:

I've applied for uni this Sept and will find out next month if I got a place, if I did then I understand that I would need to pay the registration and student services charges myself, but there is a way of getting a reimbursement I hear?

I should be eligible for BTEA, having just finished a lvl6 PLC course and my potential degree is a lvl8, so even though I was getting a grant+BTEA last term I no longer will as it'll be a new application...but how does the whole "free fees" scheme work out? Will they know I am eligible or will I have to contact someone about it? (1st time undergrad students get free fees am I right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 12bizzle

Dropped out of college for the first year of a hc programme in business took a year out and reapplying this year for a new different course in a different college through the cao im i still entitled to a maintenance grant should i apply???

Hi Master of Nothing, 12bizzle,

To answer your questions in short...

Master of Nothing: you'll most likely be given a questionnaire upon registration that asks you about previous study, residency and nationality, The answers that you give should determine whether you are allocated free fees or not. (that's how DIT does it, different Unis might have different procedures).

If you're eligible for the BTEA, you should still apply for the student grant to pay your registration fees - more info below.

12bizzle: That depends entirely on what stage of the year you dropped out at. Again, different colleges have different policies, but for DIT it's:

- If you deferred/withdrew before the 31st October 2009, you will be entitled to Free Fees for next year and a grant.

- If you deferred/withdrew between the 1st of November 2009 and the 31st January 2010, you will be liable for half tuition fees for next year (but free fees for the rest of the duration of the programme), and may not get a grant for the first year of the programme. You will be eligible for a grant for the remainder of your studies however.

- If you deferred/withdrew after the 1st February 2010, you will be liable for full tuition fees for next year (but free fees for the rest of the duration of the programme), and will not get a grant for the first year of the programme. You will be eligible for a grant for the remainder of your studies however.

- Important: If you deferred/withdrew at any point during the year for serious certified medical reasons, you may be eligible for Free Fees and a grant for next year. You will need written confirmation that you deferred for medical reasons and copies of doctors/consultants reports etc.

Info on BTEA/Student Grant & Valuable Links:

Note: all of the below information (especially the fees info) refers to DIT. Different colleges have different policies, so it's best to check with your own college about fees etc. The info about the BTEA and Grants is the same however.

Funding:

Typically, the fees payable to DIT (or any other college) are broken into Tuition Fees and Registration Fees (also known as Capitation Fees / Student Services Charge).

In 2009/10 those fees for programmes in DIT were:

- Tuition: between €1,368 and €2,950 depending on the programme

You may be entitled to Free Tuition Fees (this does not include the €1500 registration fee). There's more information (you can get a good idea of whether you qualify or not) available here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/feespolicy/

If you do not qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you may be entitled to claim tax relief on the tuition fees that you have to pay. There's more details, the amount of tuition payable for each programme and downloadable application forms here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/taxrelief/

Student Maintenance Grants: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/

The Student Grant is the main source of financial help available from the Irish State for students in full time higher education undergraduate or postgraduate courses. For eligible students taking approved courses at DIT, the grant is there to help with the various costs of participating in higher education. Unfortunately, students on part time courses, courses of less than two years’ duration, access or foundation courses are not eligible to apply for the grant.

For Mature Students, you may be assessed as either an Independent Mature Student or a Dependent Mature Student. This depends on whether you were resident in your parents’ home or outside of it on the cut-off date. For courses starting in September 2010, the cut-off date is the 1st of October 2009. You may be asked to provide proof of residence if you are applying as an Independent Mature Student (e.g. a utility bill), otherwise you may be considered a Dependent Mature Student.

The grant is means-tested; i.e. your eligibility depends on your (or your parents’) level of income. Independent Mature Students are assessed on their own income (and that of their partner/spouse), whereas Dependent Mature Students are assessed on their income combined with their parents’ income. For courses starting in September 2010, you will be assessed on your/your parents’ income for the Tax Year Ended December 31st 2009. If you are living with your domestic partner and declare this on your application form, his/her income will also be taken into account, regardless of whether you are married or not. If you were not resident in Ireland at the cut off date, this can have an effect on your grant eligibility. See the DIT website pages on grants (above) for more details.

Students who already hold a 3rd Level Qualification are not eligible to apply for the grant to study a second equivalent qualification. However, students pursuing a course that represents progression may be eligible. For example, if you hold a Level 6 (Certificate) Qualification and wish to continue your studies to pursue a Level 7 (Diploma/Ordinary Level Degree) or Level 8 (Honours Degree) Qualification. You should check with your Local Authority to be sure. In all cases, the official decision on eligibility is made by the grant-awarding bodies.

If you think you are eligible, you should apply for your grant as soon as your Local Authority opens its application process, usually around June. You do not have to wait until you have been offered a place in DIT. The closing date for applications is usually around the end of August, but most authorities will accept late applications in exceptional circumstances.
    Important: The National Budget of December 2009 announced that from 2010/11 onwards, students in receipt of the Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) are not entitled to apply for a Student Maintenance Grant. This will affect new applicants only. Students currently receiving both are entitled to continue doing so.

Important: We have been advised that students in receipt of the BTEA should apply to their Local Authority for a Student Grant to pay their Registration Fees. Such students will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the grant payment.

The Back To Education Allowance:
    http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

The Back To Education Allowance or BTEA can be paid to those who have been in receipt of social welfare payments and wish to return to full time education. Typically a claimant would have to be in receipt of social welfare payments for 12 consecutive months or more prior to returning to college, but there can be exceptions to this rule, usually in cases involving statutory redundancy (where you had been employed by the same employer for two years or more). The Emergency Budget of April 2009 reduced this restriction to 9 months for applicants who have been recommended by a Jobs Facilitator. If you are in doubt, you should contact your local Social Welfare Office.

The BTEA is not an unemployment payment. Participants get a standard rate of payment which is not means tested.

If you already hold a third level undergraduate qualification, you can only apply for the BTEA to study an equivalent undergraduate course in exceptional circumstances.

However, if you hold (e.g.) a Level 7 (Diploma or Ordinary Level Degree) qualification and wish to pursue a higher qualification, e.g. a Level 8 (Honours Degree) program, you may qualify. You should contact your local Social Welfare Office to see if you are eligible.

The postgraduate option of the BTEA is only available for Higher Diplomas (in any discipline) or Postgraduate Diploma courses leading to a qualification in education (i.e. teaching, either primary or post-primary). DIT does not currently offer postgraduate courses of this nature. You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

You cannot apply for the BTEA until you have first been accepted onto a course in DIT. Once you have been accepted onto a course, you should notify your local Social Welfare Office by filling out the BTEA Application Form BTE1. You may also qualify for an annual allowance towards the cost of your studies as well as your weekly payment. This is the Cost of Education Allowance, is paid at the start of each academic year and is currently €500.

You may keep any secondary benefits you already have such as Christmas Bonus, Fuel Allowance, Diet Supplement, Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement under the Supplementary Allowance Scheme. Note: Any increase in income may affect your Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement.

The National Budget of December 2009 announced that from 2010/11 onwards, students in receipt of the BTEA are not entitled to apply for a Student Maintenance Grant.
    This will affect new applicants only. Students currently receiving both are entitled to continue doing so. Any fees payable to DIT (such as registration fees) will be paid on behalf of the student by the exchequer.

Important: We have been advised that students in receipt of the BTEA should apply to their Local Authority for a Student Grant to pay their Registration Fees. Such students will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the grant payment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Awesome amount of information from you there ditmature, thank you:)

Looking at the free tuition fees requirements on the webpage you linked, I would have no problem there. As for registration fees, well I'll apply for the grant as suggested and see if those can be paid, although I do have money set aside incase I needed to pay them myself anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone can help me out. I don't come from Ireland but have been living here and working full-time for the last 7 years. I have applied for a Nursing degree course at UCD, TCD and DCU but my chances of getting in are slim with the amount of competition.

I am applying for a grant in case I do get in. I have also been offered a 1 year full-time course in Dundrum College of Further education. If I go down this route I don't think I can apply for a grant - is this right? And if it is what else can I do for cash? Its a full-time course and pretty full on so I don't know if I will be able to work that much?

Any help will be appreciated!

Advertisement