Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    i remember the milk is good for you add where a freaky wooden guy sings "them bones them bones need calcium" scared the **** out of me

Yeah, that add freaked me so much I drank lots of milk, and now years later I wont touch the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    It's funny you should mention the Guinness "Anticipation" ad with your man dancing around to Perez Prado's "Guaglione" (that was the name of the song, wasn't it? If I remember correctly!), Micamaca. The reason being because the other night I was watching the telly and when the ads came on there was a new, updated version of that ad playing.
    Is that the one with the dancing eskimo advertising Extra Cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

HELLO THERE GUINNESS ADVERTISING EXECUTIVE, WHOEVER YOU ARE! WE KNOW YOU'RE SITTING THERE READING THIS!!!!!! SAY HELLO AND GIVE US A WAVE, WHY DON'T YOU?

Ok Guinness exec, if you are reading these would you mind updating that oul website you have there and put on the Anticipation ad for download and give us a nod and a wink when its done!!

Otherwise I'll have to resort to getting my brother drunk, who I'm told used to do quite an impressive rendition of it! God bless!

Could it be possible that ad execs are finally running out of ideas.... the mind boggles how they manage to keep coming up with fresh ideas for products some of which have been on the market for the last hundred or so years... of course a lot of ads are rubbish, I particularly hate those ads with kids swaggering up to a throne-like toilet and bowing to the title of "Lord of the Loo" .... I mean really... have ad execs no shame? What next, they'll be advertising something fibrous like Bran Flakes and really showing us how good it is.... King of the No. Two maybe??? God, hope no Kellogs execs are reading this and saying "Hey, good idea, why didn't I think of that!" Yeeessh! :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    It seems Guinness are looking back to some of their classic old ads and taking inspiration from them and updating them for today.
    Yup. Another old Guinness ad was inspired by the grafiti "A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle" and then it showed a fish cycling a bike. Now the new ad has the fish cycling the bike in freezing snow. Of course the fact that we remember the original ads probably has the Guinness ad executives dancing with joy at a job well done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 want2run

Hey!

Having serious problems trying to find a clip/image of this particular ad.
    It was around about 15yrs ago. It was for old ntl or cablelink or something tv related. (predates digital tv).

It involved a cartoon man, short but with a horizontal oval head (not unlike the head of hey arnold cartoon). think he had dark hair. anyway his neighbour had this new tv thing. and he gets a ladder in his place and shuffles up the ladder and peers into the neighbours window with binoculars. something happens and then he says in a harsh low voice with dublin accent "these binoculars set me back a forrrrrtuuune"

please please please someone remember... was it even for ntl?!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

There's a particular ad I would love to see again, suffering Jaysus it was super sexy. I actually posted this in another thread so here's my original post, and if anyone knows the name of the product or better still where I can relieve my spotty teens, don't hesitate to tell me (says he...)

Does anyone remember...
    ...an ad from around 1992 or thereabouts, it was for deoderant, the pitch was "the only underwear you need". It featured a gorgeous short haired goddess (can't remember if she was blonde or brunette though...) getting herself all dickied up for an evening out. She was shown getting out of the shower, spraying the magic deoderant on herself, and putting on a really sexy perfect fit dress and black patent stilleto heel pointy toe court shoes. The soundtrack had a kind of new-age feel to it. Needless to say it would be nice to see it again, purely for research reasons of course... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.

ESB add Note the black & tan Cravens :p

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Fergus

Micamaca wrote: »
    Hey, sorry to butt in but am going mad trying to find a download of Guinness Anticipation dancing Joe McKinney ad... doesn't seem to be in guiness ad archive for some strange reason and can't find it anywhere... any ideas please?

It's very odd that. I was in the Guinness Storehouse the other day, and one of the floors is dedicated to Guinness advertising.. there are computers where you can call up on demand all the ads from each decade going way back - but unbelievably the Joe McKinney "Anticipation" ad is not there in the 1990s section. I couldn't believe it. I also read that he wasn't invited to the 250th gig last year.

It is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This thread is Retro!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

there was an irish ad I'll never forgot, it was
    a public safety one warning kids about the dangers of electricity.
    Anyway there is a wee girl playing with a kite or a frisbee and it gets caught up in a pylon, so this wee boy climbs up to get it for
    her and KABOOM!:eek:
    Always scared the bejay out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

Good God I hated that ad. It looked so dark and dismal..

I used to not like the other mentioned, but not so much nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I remembered the ESB ad with Alan Hughes but I'd completely forgotten about the baby feeding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.
    i'm 26 and i only barely remember those ads. RTE would have finished using these ads around '93 at the latest, so i dont see how its possible you could remember them if you're only 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Anyway there is a wee girl playing with a kite or a frisbee and it gets caught up in a pylon, so this wee boy climbs up to get it for

Jesus, I remember that ad. I think at the end they showed the kite all charred. :eek:
    I remembered the ESB ad with Alan Hughes but I'd completely forgotten about the baby feeding one.

Awh I'm 24 and remember this ad so well. I may have just teared up a bit. :o That child must be around 20!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

grenache wrote: »
    i'm 26 and i only barely remember those ads. RTE would have finished using these ads around '93 at the latest, so i dont see how its possible you could remember them if you're only 15?

The thread dates back to 2004. The poster is now 19/20. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

The thread dates back to 2004. The poster is now 19/20. :D

21, actually :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Havent read whole thread so apologies if these have been mentioned already:o. The water safety ad where family are beside a lake. and they notice the empty deckchair and someone says "Where's Grandad?" The ad where a nun (I think) is going "BAH!" behind a childs ear, to test their hearing. The Aer Lingus ad " Look up, it's Aer Lingus, flying away each day, another bird in the sky. Look up, look up, its a little bit of Ireland passing by" Please somebody remember this!! Anyone I have sang it to looks at me like I've lost the plot:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

73Cat wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus ad " Look up, it's Aer Lingus, flying away each day, another bird in the sky. Look up, look up, its a little bit of Ireland passing by" Please somebody remember this!! Anyone I have sang it to looks at me like I've lost the plot:(

I remember this - we'd all sing it at school (about 1981), and on UTV you'd hear the British Airways ad "We'll take good care of you...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

kelle wrote: »
    I remember this - we'd all sing it at school (about 1981), and on UTV you'd hear the British Airways ad "We'll take good care of you...."

Ah Thank God, I knew I didn't make it up!

I remember an ad where there's a really hairy chested guy running down a beach and a girl is running to meet him, arms outstretched. They hug and as they move away from each other, his chest wig is stuck to her:eek:.
    Also an old Flake ad with a little boy with glasses sitting on a train. He uses a straw to suck up all the crumbs of the Flake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Jezzington wrote: »
    There's a particular ad I would love to see again, suffering Jaysus it was super sexy. I actually posted this in another thread so here's my original post, and if anyone knows the name of the product or better still where I can relieve my spotty teens, don't hesitate to tell me (says he...)

Does anyone remember...
    ...an ad from around 1992 or thereabouts, it was for deoderant, the pitch was "the only underwear you need". It featured a gorgeous short haired goddess (can't remember if she was blonde or brunette though...) getting herself all dickied up for an evening out. She was shown getting out of the shower, spraying the magic deoderant on herself, and putting on a really sexy perfect fit dress and black patent stilleto heel pointy toe court shoes. The soundtrack had a kind of new-age feel to it. Needless to say it would be nice to see it again, purely for research reasons of course... ;-)

I think it's this one, good luck with your research!

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_vintage.php?filename=VA0579

SkidMark wrote: »

That's a great site,thanks for the link.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Play Safe. There were a few different versions.

It was a UK PIF that was broadcast on RTE during the summer of 1979 and 1980. All are available on the Charley Says DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryOYburlFI

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Play Safe. There were a few different versions.

It was a UK PIF that was broadcast on RTE during the summer of 1979 and 1980. All are available on the Charley Says DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryOYburlFI
    Holy moley. That ad still scares the sh*te out of me.:eek:

Holy moley. That ad still scares the sh*te out of me.:eek:

Amazing that in 2010 it still has impact. I remember being scared ****less of that ad as a nipper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Play Safe with kites and planes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_wwkCoBL8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Little help here.

I am looking for an advert, It was an information advert about back injury - There was a phrase in it "Big John can lift it"

That's all I can remember, the add must be almost 25 - 30yrs old by now.

Any help would be appreciated

SkidMark wrote: »

Thank you Skidmark for finding that. I was muttering "Hey babe, remember me" to the screen as it played... That "Oy oh wah bap bap bap bah" tune has always stuck in my head. Funny how the heels seem a lot lower and the toes seem less pointy when I see it 18 years later, hehe.

Big Lar wrote: »
    Little help here.

I am looking for an advert, It was an information advert about back injury - There was a phrase in it "Big John can lift it"

That's all I can remember, the add must be almost 25 - 30yrs old by now.

Any help would be appreciated

Was it the "Oh my aching back" one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Yeah i think that was it, I think he lifted a 40 gallon barrel - Could be wrong on that.

I was talking to a few lads today about it and they reckon it was by the safety council crowd people, they used to have a yellow triangle as an emblem

Advertisement