Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildlife camera suggestions please

• 14-05-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Interested in getting a wildlife camera for my garden. It's a large garden and we get foxes,hedgehogs,rabbits,herons,badgers and who knows what else! Most activity will obviously be at night so will need night vision. I've done some research but want to make sure I cover all the bases. Budget would be around €100-150. Can anyone recommend one they have tried and tested?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Wow that is some wildlife! I am trying to see hedgehog this summer!

I have 2, one is the cheapest on Amazon (GBP40, Victure I think is the brand) and a more expensive one (A bit less than EUR 200, Browman is the brand.

Video, at least 1080p.. for pictures, I don't think the quality is great, it is just a record shot so I don't pay much attention to it.
    Then you have them with low glow and no glow, which is how much the night leds can be detected. Both of mine are no glow as sometimes I put them in the public area and I don't want anyone to notice them. Wildlife may notice the low glow too.

Batteries...they can be hungry, I invested in 8 high capacity, good quality rechargeable batteries and they last a quite a lot. I don't leave the camera for too long anywhere and always have more than enough power left.

Brands....I am happy with my Browman and I know Bushnells are very good too...then there are other brands like Spypoint, etc, that are reputable.

The video of the Browman is very good. The Amazon one is good for the price and it has never let me down, but not at the same level as the other one.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Apeman wildlife camera. I have 4 of theses. Used to be £32sterling. Very happy with them. Now £54.69. It even has a little screen in it to view photos. Also has a password setting if needed. Available on Amazon. A word of warning. Dampness is a wildlife cameras enemy. So regularly dry it out.

APEMAN Wildlife Camera 16MP 1080P FHD Trap with Infrared Motion Activated Game Camera Night Vision up to 65ft/20m and IP66 Spray Waterproof for Wildlife Monitoring, Garden, Home Security Surveillance

I can't copy and paste a link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have two of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J34Y41J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're out of stock now but just get the new model, and some big SD cards and two small tripods.

Its fascinating what comes into your garden, find a hole in the fence and put it there. I guarantee there is far more than you think there is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

gzoladz wrote: »
    Wow that is some wildlife! I am trying to see hedgehog this summer!

I have 2, one is the cheapest on Amazon (GBP40, Victure I think is the brand) and a more expensive one (A bit less than EUR 200, Browman is the brand.

Video, at least 1080p.. for pictures, I don't think the quality is great, it is just a record shot so I don't pay much attention to it.
    Then you have them with low glow and no glow, which is how much the night leds can be detected. Both of mine are no glow as sometimes I put them in the public area and I don't want anyone to notice them. Wildlife may notice the low glow too.

Batteries...they can be hungry, I invested in 8 high capacity, good quality rechargeable batteries and they last a quite a lot. I don't leave the camera for too long anywhere and always have more than enough power left.

Brands....I am happy with my Browman and I know Bushnells are very good too...then there are other brands like Spypoint, etc, that are reputable.

The video of the Browman is very good. The Amazon one is good for the price and it has never let me down, but not at the same level as the other one.

Hope that helps.

Brilliant info, thank you. I will check your suggestions out. The Heron was on top of the house this morning looking down at the pond, even though its covered in a metal grill he won't give up! Looking forward to seeing more activity with the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Mach Two wrote: »
    Apeman wildlife camera. I have 4 of theses. Used to be £32sterling. Very happy with them. Now £54.69. It even has a little screen in it to view photos. Also has a password setting if needed. Available on Amazon. A word of warning. Dampness is a wildlife cameras enemy. So regularly dry it out.

APEMAN Wildlife Camera 16MP 1080P FHD Trap with Infrared Motion Activated Game Camera Night Vision up to 65ft/20m and IP66 Spray Waterproof for Wildlife Monitoring, Garden, Home Security Surveillance

I can't copy and paste a link to it.

Thanks for the suggestion, looks decent. Good tip on the dampness, I assume it can take a night out in the rain with drying the morning after?

• Advertisement

K.C wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, looks decent. Good tip on the dampness, I assume it can take a night out in the rain with drying the morning after?

When I say they don't like dampness l mean something like 3 weeks or so. Most of theses cameras are made for climates that have low humidity. Ireland has a very damp humid climate. Occasionally I bring them in and just leave them open to dry out.I think it adds to the life of the camera to dry it out. That camera uses 8 AA batteries. So I use rechargeable batteries. I have a dedicated AA battery charger. The camera has black IR so animals can't see it. It does make a little click when the camera takes a picture which makes animals aware to its presence but it is a very little noise. You also need an SD card to pop in to it. The built in screen is a gift as you don't have to be removing the card and putting it into a computer to see photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Part of the cost can be for being able to upload the images remotely.You put in a sim card and it uploads to your phone, I am not technical-minded so haven't set it up on mine yet, but it is increasingly appealing to not have to demount the camera to bring it in to the house to view the pics etc.

hirondelle wrote: »
    Part of the cost can be for being able to upload the images remotely.You put in a sim card and it uploads to your phone, I am not technical-minded so haven't set it up on mine yet, but it is increasingly appealing to not have to demount the camera to bring it in to the house to view the pics etc.

What is the cost of using a SIM card on a camera to you phone?

Also use the built in clock to automatically switch on and off your camera for the hours of darkness if that is your preferred setting. Preferably have it facing North if using during the day as the sun will trigger the camera. Make sure no leaves or long grass is in front of it as their movement will trigger the camera too. About two and a half to three feet above ground I find to be the best height.

Mach Two wrote: »
    What is the cost of using a SIM card on a camera to you phone?

Just the cost of the sim card and (IIRC) about 10c per message, but haven't done it yet so there may be something I'm missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Just the cost of the sim card and (IIRC) about 10c per message, but haven't done it yet so there may be something I'm missing.

10c is enough. If you had a cow grazing in front of it or a lot of wind it could become a problem. Can you remotely switch that function off.

It might also be a good idea to put it under shelter as the camera lens can be covered with little droplets of water. All you get then is a really blurry picture and nothing can be recognised.

10c is enough. If you had a cow grazing in front of it or a lot of wind it could become a problem. Can you remotely switch that function off.

I think so- it was something I was thinking about as some birds will trigger it repeatedly by hopping around.

I think so- it was something I was thinking about as some birds will trigger it repeatedly by hopping around.

I use them mainly at night as I can see everything around during the day. So using a camera during the day is pointless.

Advertisement