Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Active recovery day 2 of xx
    Time to try some squatting . I'll stop if any pain

Bodyweight fine
    20 X 10 belt on
    30 X 10 remove belt as it's causing slight discomfort.
    40 X 10 , 50 X 10 , 60 X 8, 70 X 6 , 75 X 4 , 80 X 2 , 85 X 2 , 90 X 2
    Then did the whole thing again back down as a pyramid.

90 is my one max and 2 rep max . When I loaded on my back today I felt the fear I felt before temporarily. I remember what ALF said about don't think about failing , I've just lifted 85 and I'm doing all these really slow slight pause at bottom as I stretch between the hips . I load the bar back on the rack and remove the safety sawhorses I had set up . I complete 2 X 90 easily and do another set of 2 X 90 no bother and work back down the pyramid without safetys .

My squat is getting so much better , it's the little things that help .
    Completed in 35 mins , I'm not going to bench or ohp for another week at least , I might try some empty bar deadlifts tomorrow and some row work .

When I see it in caps, I think of this guy:

220px-GordonShumway.png

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to seeing you break through the 100

Thanks man I don't think it will be a problem ,I probably could of done it today I was lifting within myself today . I was just super cautious that if I went too heavy today and had to drop bar off my back or bend forward I could end up doing more damage to myself .
    I'm really enjoying the squatting now which is the main thing , I look forward to getting under the bar and from what I read if you improve your squat all your lifts will improve it causes testosterone to be realised .

When I see it in caps, I think of this guy:

220px-GordonShumway.png

:D:D ah that brings back memories

Active recovery Day 3

Had a bit of time so stuck Chelsea game on in shed and see what I felt up to .

Concentrations curls
    4 sets of 10.@ 10kg

Tricep extension
    4 sets of 12 @ 15kg ( one dumbell between arms)

single arm rows
    4 sets of 12 @ 10kg

seated ohp
    4 sets of 12 at 10kg

squats
    40 X 6
    50 X 6
    60 X 4
    70 X 4
    80 X 3
    85 X 3
    90 X 2
    95 X 2 I gotta be honest here I recorded this last set to check form and it's fine but what I perceived as parallel is about 5 degrees or so off , I knew I wasn't ATG on these heavier ones but was fairly sure I broke parallel . But one of those perception things I'd say it's "questionable depth "
    From the first set at 40kg tonight though I was very stiff and not getting and good depth / stretch as usual so I'm not overally concerned .

Did the whole thing again not as a pyramid back down .

Completed in an hour .
    Didn't feel like I was able for deadlift tonight still tender bending and twisting .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Come onnnn, show us the video!!!

• Advertisement

Come onnnn, show us the video!!!

I deleted it out of annoyance I could recover it from my phone bin so that's a poor excuse . I'll put up a decent video to critique next time I squat , that lift is annoying me . Do you have to upload it to YouTube first ?

I deleted it out of annoyance I could recover it from my phone bin so that's a poor excuse . I'll put up a decent video to critique next time I squat , that lift is annoying me . Do you have to upload it to YouTube first ?

YouTube or Instagram. Then copy and paste the link

active recovery session 4

squat
    My squat was disappointing when viewed on video compared to what I perceived I was doing. I was full sure I was going past parallel but I'm only just touching on it at best . How much of an issue this is could be down to mobility . Or maybe it's ok to not go past parallel.
    Usual pyramid up to 90 X 2 then back down .
    I recorded these please go easy on me :o everyone has to start somewhere .
    85 X 3 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPG_Lc0pxgo/?utm_medium=copy_link
    90 X 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPG-mL5J91k/?utm_medium=copy_link
    Hope that works .

deadlift
    Some warm up then 5 sets of 5 at 80kg to get back into it , nothing to heavy rib still sore .

t bar row
    4 sets of 15 at 30kg nice and light

landmine press
    4 sets of empty bar for 15 reps .

Just an easy session feeling my way back still sore rib muscles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's always interesting to see how it looks on vid vs what you're doing, I always record last warm ups to make sure I'm on track. Are you able to get to parallel with a lighter weight. Do a freeze frame and check if your hip crease is in line with your knee at the bottom of your lift on a lighter weight. Not sure if you're not going lower bc you thought you didn't need to vs couldn't.
    Not worth panicking about but something to work towards id say

It's always interesting to see how it looks on vid vs what you're doing, I always record last warm ups to make sure I'm on track. Are you able to get to parallel with a lighter weight. Do a freeze frame and check if your hip crease is in line with your knee at the bottom of your lift on a lighter weight. Not sure if you're not going lower bc you thought you didn't need to vs couldn't.
    Not worth panicking about but something to work towards id say

Yeah I did actually film an earlier set it was a bad angle so didn't upload it with 60kg but it was breaking parallel .
    I think it's part of that fear of failure holding me back . I'm surprised how bad my perception of what I was doing differed from what I was actually doing . I would have bet good money that I broke parallel on them . As you say something to work towards I'm not competing but want to do the lifts correctly .
    I'm not that happy with any of it , seemed too slow down , not down far enough and not driving up , meh back to the drawing board !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah sure look I go as deep as I can in warm ups as I know I'll panic and go high on heavier weights. It'll take time so don't worry. I wouldn't go any faster on your way down
    You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah I did actually film an earlier set it was a bad angle so didn't upload it with 60kg but it was breaking parallel .
    I think it's part of that fear of failure holding me back . I'm surprised how bad my perception of what I was doing differed from what I was actually doing . I would have bet good money that I broke parallel on them . As you say something to work towards I'm not competing but want to do the lifts correctly .
    I'm not that happy with any of it , seemed too slow down , not down far enough and not driving up , meh back to the drawing board !

On the descent, don't worry too much about being fast down. One, your speed is actually pretty fast down, faster than I would descend, and secondly, descending fast isn't necessarily good or bad. The expression is always descend as fast as you can control. If you go too fast you'll hit the bottom too hard basically and then just lose control of the rep. Just find what works for you really. If I descended as fast as you did on those videos, I'd probably die to be honest.

It very much looks like a confidence issue to be honest.

Just work on going lower...going lower than you think is necessary. You're well able to. It's natural to be more tentative on a heavier weight but I dont think you would have struggled with the double you filmed if you'd gone lower.

If you can get to parallel or lower, I would. Otherwise you can't really measure progress. It's like going to run 100m but improving your times because you're stopping shorter and shorter of 100m

Also, Coach's Eye app is great for watching back in slow mo

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.techsmith.apps.coachseye.free

It very much looks like a confidence issue to be honest.

Just work on going lower...going lower than you think is necessary. You're well able to. It's natural to be more tentative on a heavier weight but I dont think you would have struggled with the double you filmed if you'd gone lower.

If you can get to parallel or lower, I would. Otherwise you can't really measure progress. It's like going to run 100m but improving your times because you're stopping shorter and shorter of 100m

Totally agree with you , I'll 100% be going lower . Ive no ego with this lifting game if I have to start again lifting just the bar and work my way up so be it.
    I'm not afraid of hard work I'll be back tomorrow and trying and trying again . My one rep max at the moment is 60kg cause that's the only one I'm sure I broke parallel on .
    I'm not going to keep adding weight if I'm not doing the lift correctly . I did genuinely think that I was breaking parallel until I actually filmed .

Lots of work to do thanks guys , and thanks for not laughing too hard :D

I remember being in a gym and watching someone squat 60kg and thinking that was the first BIG goal. We've all been where you are now and no one is laughing.

If you turned up at the next meet and squatted 90kg for a PR you'd be getting a huge cheer, the same as the guy who squatted 200+ to win the weight class. That's one of the class things about it that I've really enjoyed. No one looks at the numbers but rather the effort you're putting in.

Given how long you're lifting, I'd say you're probably lifting more than I was when I was lifting as long.

Just remember how early you are into this and give yourself credit for where you are.

What Alf said
    Been there 100%

Thanks guys , I think it's good for you to do things you aren't comfortable with . You learn more about yourself . I could just cycle every day and race in grade A races and learn nothing about myself . I was talking to a cyclist the other day who told me I'm mad training legs when we cycle so much but it's not fitness just doing cardio , it's not functional fitness .No point training 20 hours a week and not been able to lift your bodyweight off the ground .

Anyway my routine is always the same - do something - get really annoyed I did it wrong - berate myself about how badly I suck at it - excitement about fixing the problem - make a training plan to address the issue .

Onwards- I might push the start of J&T to second week of June to give myself a few more weeks to improve squat form and to get the muscle memory absolutely on point so that each lift looks exactly the same .

I'll continue to film and upload top sets , any critique is welcome .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Just a tip-off that there's someone trying to rip off your thread title over on the Food forum :-) https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058187670

Oscar Wilde — 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.' :-)

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Just a tip-off that there's someone trying to rip off your thread title over on the Food forum :-) https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058187670

Oscar Wilde — 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.' :-)

But can they half squat :D? Cake addiction at 40 is a real problem I didn't notice in my 30's, very relatable.

active recovery
    You know the drill everyday is squat day till I don't suck , had a free hour before bike session . I watched a few videos I don't think I can get lower I'm as low as I am with 40kg and 90kg
    Usual pyramid up all lifts recorded .
    Here's 85 X 3 please tell me I'm improving or not
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJE_Z5p76U/?utm_medium=copy_link

Angles not great here's a 75 X 3 on way back down
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJGXB9pU_-/?utm_medium=copy_link

70 X 4 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJHERhpj3t/?utm_medium=copy_link
    I feel like I am getting to a point where I can't go any further almost hit a little bounce at bottom , but still looks meh

Completed in 40 mins

• Advertisement

Give this a go

https://youtu.be/_G6kUbc-hl4

Get a dumbbell or kettlebell and try a goblet squat see what that looks like

Bit more mobility work...ankles and hips and you might see a difference in the depth.

Just on your bracing...it looks a bit like you're filling your chest with air, which isn't quite bracing. Try breathing in through your nose and filling from the bottom up and you'll feel that brace 360 degrees. Breathing in through the nose just helps me get that air in from the bottom up.

Also, make sure to keep your upper back tight so it doesn't roll forward at the bottom. When you have heavier weights you'll be punished for it....because thats when the bar is past your mid-foot and you'll notice more of a load on your lower back because you have to get it back in line as well as up.

You're not doing anything wrong as such. They're just tweaks to help build on where you are.

Thanks yes on the heavier weights at the bottom I'm falling forward a bit I noticed that . That felt a lot lower than yesterday but doesn't look it on the video . Definitely need to work on the mobility stuff , I think I can squeeze more depth out of them the body just needs to learn that it's safe to go lower . I'll just keep at it .
    Yeah I don't know how to brace I just copied what I saw people on YouTube do :) I'll try your way cheers

Give this a go

https://youtu.be/_G6kUbc-hl4

Get a dumbbell or kettlebell and try a goblet squat see what that looks like

My ankle flexibility seems good I can get to wall with knee from a good 6 inches away if anything it's my hips , probably loads of biking not helping . I just did goblet squat and can go much further so I think it's just allowing my body to trust me now . Thanks

Cool wasn't sure whether to suggest hip or ankle mob work but sounds like some hip mob work in order

Toe squats

Toe squats

Can't even find toe squats on Google , are they squatting on your tippy toes ? Sounds horrendous. I need to master the squat first before attempting toe squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I was 40 last month and would have been a four time a week gym goer for years. We had a baby late 2019 and then covid hit. It didn't suit to train at home so I've been out of action for the best part of 18 months. Looking forward to the gym opening in a few weeks but slightly apprehensive at the same time. Before I stopped I was 130kg with the strength to match it. Obviously lost a good bit of mass and strength since then. Any tips or pointers on how to approach getting back into it? Any specific programs I can use?

Cazale wrote: »
    I was 40 last month and would have been a four time a week gym goer for years. We had a baby late 2019 and then covid hit. It didn't suit to train at home so I've been out of action for the best part of 18 months. Looking forward to the gym opening in a few weeks but slightly apprehensive at the same time. Before I stopped I was 130kg with the strength to match it. Obviously lost a good bit of mass and strength since then. Any tips or pointers on how to approach getting back into it? Any specific programs I can use?

Belated happy birthday ! Welcome to the club , I don't have so much advice in regards what to do to get your fitness back.
    I only stepped foot in the gym at age 39 for the first time and did a few curls and played with machines and then left. Covid hit and I set myself up a mini home gym .

So if you've been going to gym for years your way more advanced than me I am only still leaning the main lifts .

The plan I'm following is called Jacked and tanned 2.0 , honestly I don't even know if it's any good for someone of your experience . I'm doing ok on it but I'd probably do ok on any plan because I am benefiting from newbie lifter gains, someone that's lifting years probably needs more specific advice .

Sorry for long winded answer but maybe youll get a better reply in questions thread , if you want to know more about that plan I'm following I'm happy to help but my knowledge is limited on it.

• Advertisement

Active recovery session 5 of xxx

Pretty sore today squatted alot lately and been biking a fair bit , decided to keep things light today.

Squat
    Usual pyramid I do now starting with just the bar working up in 10's reducing reps . Didn't want to go too heavy today as I don't want to overdo it , but wanted to do some heavier reps to test form .
    70 X 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLmzpPpRe3/?utm_medium=copy_link
    80 X 1 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLnAc-Jw3d/?utm_medium=copy_link

Did about 6 sets of 70 X 2 and 3 sets of 80 X 1 , I'm getting better feel for it now especially the bracing ( thanks ALF) although I can't brace too hard as my rib or muscle is torn so it's sore to fill lungs too hard .
    I'm going to say that 80 X 1 is a pass for a lift until someone tells me I'm wrong but for the moment it's a new 1 rep max .
    Dont be afraid to say it's a fail humble me , I'll be turning up to a contest near you soon so I need to know !

incline dumbbell row
    Intent matters as they say that's the big thing I'm learning it's not just about lifting as heavy as you can , slow and controlled can be harder with lighter weights .
    10kgs X 4 sets of 15 reps , getting easier to lean on bench pain free .

seated ohp
    4 sets of 15 at 10kgs

barbell curl
    4 sets of 15 with empty bar

Took untimed ample breaks between sets enjoying the unstructured sessions. Took 1 hour.

Advertisement