Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Days Gone
    PLATFORM: PlayStation 4

I had so much fun with this. The biggest - I'll say "feature" - of the game is you can take out zombies by the hundreds (think a massive horde, 28 Days Later style). Doing it reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 5, whereby you can plan your attack if you wish (laying traps etc.) and you can get creative in how you approach a horde in general. I loved this mechanic so much.

My favourite approach was finding a choke point, throwing a distraction device and waiting until a massive pile of them are in one spot before throwing a grenade and molotov cocktail in amongst them. Seeing hundreds of "20xp" numbers pop out of their heads was very satisfying to look at.

It was free on Plus for April - that's how I was able to play it, so I'm happy I was able to actually put my subscription to good use (I tend to add games to my library and never touch them).

Update: Grabbed the Platinum at 3am

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|25|SHANK|PC|35|DAYS GONE|PS4

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Bioshock 2 | PC
    2|GTA San Andreas | PC
    3|Metro 2033 | XBOX 360
    4|Moto G.P Ultimate Racing Technology| XBOX
    5|Shadow of the Tomb raider | XBOX ONE
    6|Rime | XBOX ONE
    7|SSX Tricky | XBOX
    8|Darkwatch | XBOX

Moto G.P. Ultimate Racing Technology
    For a game from 2002, it looks great, not much else to say about it, good game.

Shador Of the Tomb Raider.
    I loved this game, especially the emphasis on stealth kills and scavenging. It's a bit wierd that there seems like fewer enemies in this one but this is the game where Lara goes kill crazy. The only real negative is that it's yet again let down by poor supporting characters.

Rime.
    A wonderful little puzzle-platformer. nothing here wil really tax you. It's a relaxing game more than anything and my god, that ending hits you like a ton of bricks.

SSX Tricky.
    Better than one, not as good as three. The courses are great except for what feels like rubber-banding and the trick system clearly isn't quite there yet, still a fantastic racing game.

Darkwatch.
    Old west outlaw turned vampire, what's not to like? Great shooting game, even if the vampire powers are a bit meh. The story is rediculous and it takes itself super seriously but it has great personality. a real game of it's time as you can see the Halo influences front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4
    A plague tale innocence - Xbox one
    Fifa 20 - Xbox one
    Hotshot racing - Xbox one
    Mafia - PS4
    Resident evil 3 - PS4
    The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one
    Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

GAME: Concrete Genie

This game was a delight. Beautiful visuals and a very charming aesthetic overall. Didn't expect it to be as short as it was, but nonetheless I'm happy I got to play it. Been on my to-do list since it came out.

Very unique type of game - hard to pin a genre to it.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|25|SHANK|PC|35|DAYS GONE|PS4

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC|36|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4
    A plague tale innocence - Xbox one
    Fifa 20 - Xbox one
    Hotshot racing - Xbox one
    Mafia - PS4
    Resident evil 3 - PS4
    The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one
    Hitman 2 - PS4
    What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

• Advertisement

GAME: Guitar Hero: World Tour
    PLATFORM: Xbox 360

I'm retroactively adding this. I forgot to add it last week. My missus and I beat it on co-op. :pac:

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|35|GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR|XBOX 360

16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|36|DAYS GONE|PS4

17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|37|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC

19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

#|Game|Platform
    1| Resident Evil 3| PlayStation 4|
    2| Resident Evil 4| PlayStation 4|
    3| Yakuza Kiwami| PlayStation 4|
    4| Yakuza Kiwami 2| PlayStation 4|
    5| Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor| PlayStation 4|
    6| Cube Escape: The Lake| Android|
    7| The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach| PlayStation 4
    8| A Plague Tale: Innocence| PlayStation 4|
    9| Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime| PlayStation 4|
    10| Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love| PlayStation 4|
    11| Anodyne| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    12| Dandara| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    13| Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    14| Dead Space 2| PlayStation 3|
    15| Dead Space 3| PlayStation 3|
    16| Medievil| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    17| Broken Age| PlayStation 4|
    18| Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only)| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    19| Unmechanical Extended| PlayStation 4|
    20| Marvels Avengers| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    21| Far Cry 3| PlayStation 3

Far Cry 3

I've never played any of the Far Cry games before but I decided to skip Far Cry 2 due to the respawning checkpoints and weapons breaking.

I enjoyed this a lot, even though it has all the ubisoft open world tropes, there wasn't too many collectables etc and I enjoyed collecting the amount needed for the trophies. The story is good, I thought Vaas was a great character and I would have liked to have seen more of him.

I've moved onto Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    13| Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14| Dex | Switch
    15| Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Good follow on from the first one, I didn't get to play the others as they were on PSP I believe.

Good story and likeable characters but very very anime so be warned.
    but the combat is a hybrid of tactical and realtime its very unique the artstyle is nice too, with a semi kind of watercolour effect.

The grenadier class is very OP though.

Between Outriders with my buddies and Resi 8 village which is great but pacing myself as I heard its very short

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Such a long write up and you never answered the most important question.

Why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

#|Game|Platform
    21| Far Cry 3| PlayStation 3|
    22| Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon| PlayStation 3

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I absolutely loved this game. It's an 80's action movie homage done using the Far Cry 3 engine and it hit all the right boxes for me. The characters, humour, setting and aesthetics all nailed the terrible 80's action movie setting. Yes the gameplay isn't amazing but it's more about the setting. The game is bad, but it's bad on purpose and I loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I honestly can't fathom why you would spend 45 hours or more getting a platinum on a game you despised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I honestly can't fathom why you would spend 45 hours or more getting a platinum on a game you despised.

Trophy hunters, just like the trophies they are after, don't make sense. Well unless you factor in OCD and skinner box psychology.

Didn't you once say that you respect people who get xbox achievements but not playstation trophies (even though they're basically the same thing)? The psychology of trophies is similar to that of getting good weapons in looter shooters. It doesn't mean trophy hunters are suffering from some form of mental illness.

Eh, respect sounds like I'm fanboying. I definitely didn't say that! It's more that xbox achievements work far better as they have been engineered into the xbox eco-system from the start. It means they load insanely quickly and are easy to check. Playstation trophies on the other hand are classic sony, great hardware, awful software. They were shoehorned into the PSN environment and still have issues where doing stuff like chekcing trophies or comparing them to friends takes ages to load, so much so I usually give up on it before it loads.

It's an interface thing rather than turning my nose up at trophy hunters!

Also not sure how you can collapse those write ups but I am enjoying them.

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||
    Resident Evil Village|PC||

Resident Evil Village

Left my thoughts on the main thread. While it's not an absolute classic I really enjoyed by time with this game. It's also nice to play a relatively brief by modern standards and well paced action game. I like how each section plays a little differently and the developers have fun with that. Level design is a high point as well with a Dark Souls-esque inter connected world.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    13| Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14| Dex | Switch
    15| Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16| Resident evil 8: Village | PS5

Resident evil 8 : Village

Fantastic game, runtime for me was around 9 hours and did most of the side stuff, very well paced and with the ps5 on the Cx the environments easily look the best I have seen so far on nextgen.
    The ending hit me in the feels though poor Ethan, had to look up some stuff after to get a better insight even though I have played the majority of the mainline games, apart from veronica and revelations 2, the chris section felt a bit like call of duty:lycan edition was fun though

#|Game|Platform
    21| Far Cry 3| PlayStation 3|
    22| Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon| PlayStation 3|
    23| In Rays of the Light| PlayStation 4

In Rays of the Light

This is a basically a walking simulator so straight away many people would be put off by that I tend to like them. This was no different. It's set in a rundown school/college in Russia which you explore doing minor puzzles to figure what happened to everyone.

i enjoyed the story and some parts are creepy, There's supposedly two different endings you can get but I only played through the one time. It's an excellent setting for this type of game, as is the length at around 3 hours or so.

If you enjoy walking simulators then you'll probably enjoy this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Revelations was a great game. I had my issues with it, but as an ending to Ezio's trilogy it was fantastic. Also one of my favourite game trailers ever. The hype I had for this game was unreal.

GAME: Mass Effect (Legendary Edition)

Just beat the first game as part of remastered trilogy that came out last week.

Gameplaywise it has definitely shown its age. I got the hang of it eventually but it was a little janky at first. I hadn't played this game properly in almost a decade so modern tropes definitely brought habits out in me, like automatically thinking I had to reload by pressing square before realising that;
    1. There is no reload button; weapons typically have to cooldown
    2. The square button throws a grenade. WTF?

Storywise it can be a bit convoluted in my books. I'll have to watch a recap video to get a basic rundown of the entire plot before jumping into Mass Effect 2. I got a general idea of what was going on but the lore of this series in general is so deep, it often distracted me from what the primary plot was. I tend to get overwhelmed by games with stories like this.

I personally think that the music is some of the best I've heard in a game released in the last generation or so. I love synthwave in general so hearing the score in this game gave me immense satisfaction. It sounded especially spectacular wearing a pair of Turtle Beach Stealth 800 headphones. Beautiful synth audio with awesome bass thrown in. Outstanding if you're an audiophile.

My biggest complaint aside from a couple of janky gameplay mechanics and visual problems (screen tearing and frame drops - particularly on PS4 Pro) was the repetitiveness of some of the locations (save for a few important locations/hubs). I understand this is a huge game, so I'll forgive it, but at the same time it got a bit boring visiting so many bases and locations, that were almost completely copied and pasted. Sometimes I got confused and thought I'd already been to some of these places, but that's my biggest gripe. Not a big deal.

Another gripe: CUTSCENES ARE NON-SKIPPABLE, AND THAT IS CRIMINAL!

Overall this was a lot of fun to play, and I know that ME2 is miles better, so if I enjoyed ME1 this much, I can't wait to re-experience the sequel.

I took a heap of screenshots on the new photo mode as well, which, as always, can be mildly addictive.

If you missed out on Mass Effect for whatever reason when it first came out, I highly recommend you give the new remastered trilogy a go. Three massive action RPGs for that price is a great deal. The best description I can give these games within one solitary word would be 'Epic': by scale and lore.

Handy platinum trophy on PlayStation as well (or 1000G on Xbox)

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|35|GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR|XBOX 360

16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|36|DAYS GONE|PS4

17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|37|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|38|MASS EFFECT (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bulletstorm (Xbox One)
    Completely missed this for Xbox 360 and it's a pretty great game. Starts out feeling like it will be a generic first person shooter but comes into its own after a while. Here's hoping they make a sequel which you have to think they are seeing as how it was released for Xbox One and Switch.

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES|Live a Live|SNES
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||
    Resident Evil Village|PC||

Live a Live

This is a weird one. Very late SNES RPG that never made it to the west. At the start you have 7 selectable characters and each one is a 1-3 hour RPG scenario that does something unique and interesting with the genre. The ideas probably wouldn't support a 40+ hour RPG but work perfectly in as bitesized RPGs. Each chapter is illustrated by a different manga artist.

Caveman: A RPG set before language. There's no written dialogue and everything plays out in pantomime. This chapter is great fun. It's full of great visual gags and laugh out loud funny at times. The MC Pogo can also smell where battles will occur or where plot items are. Had a lot of fun here.

Ninja: Infiltrate a castle and take out the evil leader. This takes place in a Massive Shogo era castle and courtyard. It's a very open ended chapter with many ways of beating it. You can take it entirely stealthily only killing the final target or can rush in and kill everyone (with a hidden reward for killing all 100 people). There's plenty of traps and devices to keep you on your toes. One of the longer chapters but really enjoyed this one. JRPG Hitman.

Present Day: This plays out like a RPG megaman crossed with street fighter. You basically play as a fighter in a tournament trying to become the strongest. There's 6 fighters you can choose to fight and you can learn each fighters abilities. You basically have to find a route that will allow you to gain abilities that will help you defeat each opponent as some are near impossible with out the tactical advantage of some moves. Very short but fun chapter. Yoko Shimomura provides the soundtrack for the entire game, which is excellent, but really plays off the street fighter 2 influences here because.... well she composed that soundtrack as well.

Near Future: This is a mish mash of anime tropes. Mecha, psychic troubled teens, shady government laboratories and.... a plot point about stealing a child's panties. Stay classy Japan. This sounds awesome but it's far and away the worst chapter. The MC can use psychic powers to read peoples minds but it just means you have to talk to everyone twice. It's also the worst designed and worst written of the bunch. Also for a chapter called 'Mecha' you get to use the Mecha for 2 minutes at the end of the chapter. At about 3 hours this one is a chore.

Sci-Fi: A RPG with no combat. This predates all those RPG maker visual novel type games. In this you play as a robot helping the crew of a spaceship in what feels like a 2001 Space Odyssey/Aliens Homage. This is pretty short but also my favourite. Lots of fun and the robot is super cute.

Kung Fu: You play as an old kung fu master selecting 3 students to pass his skills on to. It's an interesting concept that doesn't quite work. Only one student will make it through the chapter so the optimal way is to pick your favourite and just train them. This one is a bit ordinary but short enough that it doesn't out stay its welcome.

Cowboy: High noon the RPG. You're a cowboy tasked with defending a town before gang of bandits arrive to cause trouble. You have a set amount of time to collect items to use as traps and then have to task the towns people with setting up the traps. Some towns people will take longer than others to set traps while others will balls them up. When the time is up the bandits will arrive and the traps you set up will thin them out for the final battle. This one works great and is loads of fun. My only issue is I'd like more of this one!

There's an extra chapter that plays like a standard save the princess JRPG but then really subverts that trope.

In the final chapter all the characters have to join forces, take on some optional dungeons and bosses to get the best equipment and then face a (pretty brutal) final boss. The final chapter takes a couple of hours and plays more like a standard RPG so is the least interesting but a nice way to wrap everything up.

Live a Live isn't entirely successful but the chapter based approach to it's gameplay keeps it lively and it's always fun to finish a chapter and find out what the next one is like. Ultimately the overarching narrative doesn't come together in a satisfying way but it's just such a fun experimental game that it's hard not to like for what it tries and how interesting it is.

There's some talk of a re-release or remaster and it might just happen, square have put out some pretty deep cuts in terms of remasters recently and the director of this game is now pretty high up in square and has been tweeting about it.

• Advertisement

Live a Live

This is a weird one. Very late SNES RPG that never made it to the west. At the start you have 7 selectable characters and each one is a 1-3 hour RPG scenario that does something unique and interesting with the genre. The ideas probably wouldn't support a 40+ hour RPG but work perfectly in as bitesized RPGs. Each chapter is illustrated by a different manga artist.

Caveman: A RPG set before language. There's no written dialogue and everything plays out in pantomime. This chapter is great fun. It's full of great visual gags and laugh out loud funny at times. The MC Pogo can also smell where battles will occur or where plot items are. Had a lot of fun here.

Ninja: Infiltrate a castle and take out the evil leader. This takes place in a Massive Shogo era castle and courtyard. It's a very open ended chapter with many ways of beating it. You can take it entirely stealthily only killing the final target or can rush in and kill everyone (with a hidden reward for killing all 100 people). There's plenty of traps and devices to keep you on your toes. One of the longer chapters but really enjoyed this one. JRPG Hitman.

Present Day: This plays out like a RPG megaman crossed with street fighter. You basically play as a fighter in a tournament trying to become the strongest. There's 6 fighters you can choose to fight and you can learn each fighters abilities. You basically have to find a route that will allow you to gain abilities that will help you defeat each opponent as some are near impossible with out the tactical advantage of some moves. Very short but fun chapter. Yoko Shimomura provides the soundtrack for the entire game, which is excellent, but really plays off the street fighter 2 influences here because.... well she composed that soundtrack as well.

Near Future: This is a mish mash of anime tropes. Mecha, psychic troubled teens, shady government laboratories and.... a plot point about stealing a child's panties. Stay classy Japan. This sounds awesome but it's far and away the worst chapter. The MC can use psychic powers to read peoples minds but it just means you have to talk to everyone twice. It's also the worst designed and worst written of the bunch. Also for a chapter called 'Mecha' you get to use the Mecha for 2 minutes at the end of the chapter. At about 3 hours this one is a chore.

Sci-Fi: A RPG with no combat. This predates all those RPG maker visual novel type games. In this you play as a robot helping the crew of a spaceship in what feels like a 2001 Space Odyssey/Aliens Homage. This is pretty short but also my favourite. Lots of fun and the robot is super cute.

Kung Fu: You play as an old kung fu master selecting 3 students to pass his skills on to. It's an interesting concept that doesn't quite work. Only one student will make it through the chapter so the optimal way is to pick your favourite and just train them. This one is a bit ordinary but short enough that it doesn't out stay its welcome.

Cowboy: High noon the RPG. You're a cowboy tasked with defending a town before gang of bandits arrive to cause trouble. You have a set amount of time to collect items to use as traps and then have to task the towns people with setting up the traps. Some towns people will take longer than others to set traps while others will balls them up. When the time is up the bandits will arrive and the traps you set up will thin them out for the final battle. This one works great and is loads of fun. My only issue is I'd like more of this one!

There's an extra chapter that plays like a standard save the princess JRPG but then really subverts that trope.

In the final chapter all the characters have to join forces, take on some optional dungeons and bosses to get the best equipment and then face a (pretty brutal) final boss. The final chapter takes a couple of hours and plays more like a standard RPG so is the least interesting but a nice way to wrap everything up.

Live a Live isn't entirely successful but the chapter based approach to it's gameplay keeps it lively and it's always fun to finish a chapter and find out what the next one is like. Ultimately the overarching narrative doesn't come together in a satisfying way but it's just such a fun experimental game that it's hard not to like for what it tries and how interesting it is.

There's some talk of a re-release or remaster and it might just happen, square have put out some pretty deep cuts in terms of remasters recently and the director of this game is now pretty high up in square and has been tweeting about it.

I heard about this on a youtube channel before and it sounds nuts. Cool idea with the branching paths all converging as one I might check it out!

Advertisement