Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enquiring about divorce.

• 12-05-2021 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just a few questions, I'm separated nearly 3 years and I'm just wondering about a divorce. How long do you have to be separated and how long does it take, we have a mortgage that I pay plus I pay the bills and maintenance.
    Just wondering about splitting assets, I know my wife has an entitlement to my pension.
    I just bought a small house lately instead of renting, does my wife have an entitlement to this house.
    Is it an option for my wife to buy me out or visa versa, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Hoping somebody can give you input based on their own experience - but the only solid advice her is to consult a solicitor. Then see if you can do mediation to agree everything while pressing on for the divorce. Divorce takes different amounts of time based on how argumentative it is and whether there are kids involved. I’m not sure if the minimum years living apart is, it used to be 4 out of 5 years but I know there was something passed to change that to 2? There is good information in the citizens information website.
    But basically you need to hire a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Just a few questions, I'm separated nearly 3 years and I'm just wondering about a divorce. How long do you have to be separated and how long does it take, we have a mortgage that I pay plus I pay the bills and maintenance.
    Just wondering about splitting assets, I know my wife has an entitlement to my pension.
    I just bought a small house lately instead of renting, does my wife have an entitlement to this house.
    Is it an option for my wife to buy me out or visa versa, thanks in advance.

You just bought a house ? While still married ? I hope she's a reasonable girl because she is entitled to at least half the equity in it. Go to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭dubal

You just bought a house ? While still married ? I hope she's a reasonable girl because she is entitled to at least half the equity in it. Go to a solicitor.

While the 50% probably isn't accurate.

You really need legal advice quickly.

Advertisement