Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda vetting for sub teaching

• 14-04-2021 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I am not registered with the teaching council as I do not have a secondary school teaching qualification but I have extensive experience of teaching/lecturing at 3rd level along with plenty of experience of giving grinds, correcting mock exams etc. My subject area is Irish. I hear from school staff and management locally that there is a severe shortage of Irish teachers at present and also nearly impossible to find subs. I did a bit of sub teaching a number of years back in a school for 2 weeks when the right teacher was away doing oral exams at another school. This was around 8/9 years ago and I was never asked for garda vetting. In fact, the vice principal rang me on a Friday and I was in school the following Monday teaching.

I was asked to do 2 weeks in another school this week and next a few weeks ago but it fell through because the Garda vetting did not come back in time.. Therefore, have the requirements changed and if a school asked me to do a day's subbing, would I need separate garda vetting approval for every school I do work in or if you are garda vetted once for a school, then other schools can look up a central database to ensure the sub is garda vetted?

I wish I did the h.dip 10 years ago when it was only a year. It's 2 years now and so expensive. Instead I did a Masters and I am now stuck in a job that while well paid and is permanent, is not what my personality is suited to.

I have done extensive 3rd level lecturing in the last 8 months as my work situation allowed for it, with the change to remote working and I have realised that I really enjoy teaching.

Has anyone gone back to do the PME in early 30's and if so, how did ye find it, how did ye fund it and did ye do some part-time work during it? Did anyone do it via Hibernia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

The only centralised garda vetting system for teachers is through the Teaching Council. If not registered each school has to get you individually.

Could you look into registering with TC as a further education teacher as you look to get your post primary qualifications?

Hi, I am not registered with the teaching council as I do not have a secondary school teaching qualification but I have extensive experience of teaching/lecturing at 3rd level along with plenty of experience of giving grinds, correcting mock exams etc. My subject area is Irish. I hear from school staff and management locally that there is a severe shortage of Irish teachers at present and also nearly impossible to find subs. I did a bit of sub teaching a number of years back in a school for 2 weeks when the right teacher was away doing oral exams at another school. This was around 8/9 years ago and I was never asked for garda vetting. In fact, the vice principal rang me on a Friday and I was in school the following Monday teaching.

I was asked to do 2 weeks in another school this week and next a few weeks ago but it fell through because the Garda vetting did not come back in time.. Therefore, have the requirements changed and if a school asked me to do a day's subbing, would I need separate garda vetting approval for every school I do work in or if you are garda vetted once for a school, then other schools can look up a central database to ensure the sub is garda vetted?

I wish I did the h.dip 10 years ago when it was only a year. It's 2 years now and so expensive. Instead I did a Masters and I am now stuck in a job that while well paid and is permanent, is not what my personality is suited to.

I have done extensive 3rd level lecturing in the last 8 months as my work situation allowed for it, with the change to remote working and I have realised that I really enjoy teaching.

Has anyone gone back to do the PME in early 30's and if so, how did ye find it, how did ye fund it and did ye do some part-time work during it? Did anyone do it via Hibernia?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Honestly go to your three closest schools, explain the situation and ask them to put Garda vetting through for you so that’s it’s ready if they have availability. Depending on where you are in the country the principal would likely fall over themselves to get it done.

Can’t comment on the PME as I went in from my degree

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I can't really offer helpful comments other than I'm also early 30s and going back to teaching. I'm really enjoying and I think if you can still enjoy it after the remote teaching and in the current environment, you'll be good to go once everyone is back in the classroom eventually. I am super happy with my choice and wish you good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Thanks. If I was Garda Vetted for one school or organisation, would I be able to tell another principal this if offered subbing and could they look this up or contact the organisation in question to verify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Itchy, if you have a degree, register with the TC via route 3. You can apply for your vetting through the TC, and you have a few years to make any further decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

No, it's either vetting through the Teaching Council which applies to every school, or being vetted individually by each school you work in.
    Thanks. If I was Garda Vetted for one school or organisation, would I be able to tell another principal this if offered subbing and could they look this up or contact the organisation in question to verify this?

Advertisement