Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Personal Trainer? Yea or Nay.

Options
  • 10-05-2021 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Was looking to get some advice. Myself and two of my roommates were looking to hit the ground running this summer when the gyms open up, and are considering finding a good personal trainer to make our time as efficiently spent as possible.

Does anybody have any guidance re: PT's, are they decent, have you made beter results or do they make much difference etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Definitely worth getting one especially if you need to be kept on track, technique etc

I've found having one makes for better results because they know what to do whereas I'd spend ages just floating around the gym and only putting in half the effort.

Make sure you get a good one, do some research. There is a lot of ppl who call themselves personnel trainers but they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Consonata wrote: »
    Hey all!

Was looking to get some advice. Myself and two of my roommates were looking to hit the ground running this summer when the gyms open up, and are considering finding a good personal trainer to make our time as efficiently spent as possible.

Does anybody have any guidance re: PT's, are they decent, have you made beter results or do they make much difference etc.

Like anything it is hard to generalize as not all Pt's are created equally. It will also ultimately come down to the work put in on your side.

This forum has always been great for providing specific recommendations for PT's so if you post your location, there's great local knowledge on here that can provide you with good suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Yeah, any recommendations would be fantastic. We're based around Sandyford/Leopardstown area so if anybody has recommendations that would be massively appreciated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If there are three of you then you are going to be able to look at opportunities for small group training by a PT that might work out a little cheaper than 1-1.

If you're in Sandyford / Leopardstown I would suggest you could also shop around some of the many gym businesses in Sandyford Industrial Estate ... Try a trial class at a few of the CrossFit gyms, check out a class at F45... See where you like the atmosphere and the style of training.

Body Sculpt in Dundrum is another small group training sort of set up, run by ex F45 trainers, that might be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Another factor to consider is what you want from a PT.

I have a trainer I do 1 PT session per week and whatever classes I want. Some weeks I will send him my food to review and we'll go through it other time I won't be in contact unless I see him (Pre-COVID) I know he's available if I want him at any point and thats enough for me

Some people prefer constant contact and to be pushed whether it relates to their food or training, others don't

Different trainers deal with this differently so when you meet them set out what your aims are i.e. lose weight, gain muscle, get fitter...whatever it may be and also set out how you would like your trainer to interact with you, do you want regular check-in's or happy to deal with items during PT sessions. Also be aware of boundaries, I know of some people who treat their trainers like agony aunts which is fine for a lot of them but sometimes they forget a trainers isn't available 24/7

Overall I'd definitely recommend getting a PT to help set out a plan for your objectives, many PT will do small group sessions for friends who want to train together

• Advertisement
Advertisement