Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Comments

Why the hell is Tebow such news? Main item on NFL.com (our watered down UK version at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Why the hell is Tebow such news? Main item on NFL.com (our watered down UK version at least).

One of th great college QBs. Ever that went into media

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tebow is an icon in the US. Ffs we even had Tebowing as a thing worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tebow is an icon in the US. Ffs we even had Tebowing as a thing worldwide.

It never went away. I crack it out the odd time when I go vuvuzelaing!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The packers will be signing QB Blake Bortles to one year deal. I don’t think you can read anything into this other than the packers making a similar move to the Texans did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The packers will be signing QB Blake Bortles to one year deal. I don’t think you can read anything into this other than the packers making a similar move to the Texans did.

Camp arm. We always have 3 qbs for training camp. Apparently a significant contract offer has being made to Rodgers so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm not sure Julio knew he was on live television...

Either that, or this was planned by him to force a trade through.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1396854042882609159?s=19

Well isn’t the position that the Atlanta falcons don’t want to get rid of Julio Jones, it’s that they have to because they are in cap hell ? Is it that they can’t sign their draft class due to the cap. Interesting that he doesn’t want to go to the cowboys but he was pictured wearing a cowboys jumper, which unless he likes the colour of blue they wear, is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Really sleazy of the host to not begin that conversation with "we're live on air by the way Julio and you're on speakerphone".

Interesting news that aside though. Not many teams who'd give him the option of winning will be able to pay him. He might have to choose between money and winning.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Really sleazy of the host to not begin that conversation with "we're live on air by the way Julio and you're on speakerphone".

Interesting news that aside though. Not many teams who'd give him the option of winning will be able to pay him. He might have to choose between money and winning.

Yeah I’d prefer for Shannon sharpe to give him a heads up but I’m sure Julio knows that Shannon sharpe is on air at that time.

• Advertisement

Julio to green bay as part of a bid to keep Rodgers makes to much sense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

nerd69 wrote: »
    Julio to green bay as part of a bid to keep Rodgers makes to much sense imo

I don’t think there is any way they can make the numbers work in Green Bay

Julio saying he wants to win, can’t see any of the contenders trading for that contract at his age. He might find the market for his services rather soft and end up staying where he is. Maybe I’m wrong

The Packers already have a very workable WR room. If they were able to spend $10mn+ a year on a new contract (they're not), and thats assuming Julio took a massive pay cut to win now, it wouldn't be going on a WR. It'd be going on an ILB and/or D-lineman.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don’t think there is any way they can make the numbers work in Green Bay

Julio saying he wants to win, can’t see any of the contenders trading for that contract at his age. He might find the market for his services rather soft and end up staying where he is. Maybe I’m wrong
    Patriots?

The Packers already have a very workable WR room. If they were able to spend $10mn+ a year on a new contract (they're not), and thats assuming Julio took a massive pay cut to win now, it wouldn't be going on a WR. It'd be going on an ILB and/or D-lineman.

The counter argument would be if.it doesn't cost to much and keeps Rodgers happy it could make perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

nerd69 wrote: »
    The counter argument would be if.it doesn't cost to much and keeps Rodgers happy it could make perfect sense.

This point is key. GB might have a workable WR room with Rodgers but without him the team isn't in the conversation to be a contender and unlikely to even make the play-offs. At this point they are keeping Rodgers or bust this season and if Jones is how they can do it then they should do everything they can to make it happen

The reason Rodgers wants to leave isn't his WR room. Its his relationship with Gutekunst.

"If it doesn't cost too much" is also the key issue. Julio's contract is $20mn a year. The Packers currently have $70k of cap space. ie...none.

1W5srod.jpg

These are the teams with $10mn+ in cap space. And thats assuming getting him for $10mn ish a year - which will require some contract gymnastics. The Patriots, 49ers, Colts or Browns are far more likely destinations for him than the Packers.

Rodgers just sounded like a spoilt child from the quotes yesterday.

The reason Rodgers wants to leave isn't his WR room. Its his relationship with Gutekunst.

"If it doesn't cost too much" is also the key issue. Julio's contract is $20mn a year. The Packers currently have $70k of cap space. ie...none.

1W5srod.jpg

These are the teams with $10mn+ in cap space. And thats assuming getting him for $10mn ish a year - which will require some contract gymnastics. The Patriots, 49ers, Colts or Browns are far more likely destinations for him than the Packers.

Jones' cap hit post trade in 2021 is around $15m and then about $11m the next 2 years - which is a steal.

Packers can free up far more than that through restructuring Rodgers and giving Adams a new deal with a lower cap hit in 2021. That is even before restructuring Jones' contract on trade.

I agree though that other destinations are far more likely, which is more about the GB leadership and approach than what the right move is.

Jones' cap hit is $15.3m this year, but given its all fully guaranteed, @PatsCap on twitter (who has a fantastic understanding of how the cap works btw) reckons the easiest thing to do is to convert all of it bar the minimum to a signing bonus. His cap hit after that would be just shy of $6m (well, 6.85m technically but you'd be saving the 0.85m from whichever "on the bubble" player you'd be releasing to make room for him).

Plenty of teams can afford him once you take into account a few restructures of their existing players.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Jones' cap hit post trade in 2021 is around $15m and then about $11m the next 2 years - which is a steal.

Packers can free up far more than that through restructuring Rodgers and giving Adams a new deal with a lower cap hit in 2021. That is even before restructuring Jones' contract on trade.

I agree though that other destinations are far more likely, which is more about the GB leadership and approach than what the right move is.

The problem with the Packers cap is its not just this year. They're already in cap hell next year as things stand, with about $30mn of cuts to be made. And they need to re-sign Adams and every other WR currently on the team to new, more expensive contracts on top. And half the secondary.

And they've also never been a team to go all-in on "win now" at the cost of future years - as drafting Love or even Rodgers himself showed. So they're just not signing a player with Julio's wage requirements, even if somehow with absolutely massive cap gymnastics they just about squeezed him in this year. Its not just in keeping with the long term planning strategy of the team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The problem with the Packers cap is its not just this year. They're already in cap hell next year as things stand, with about $30mn of cuts to be made. And they need to re-sign Adams and every other WR currently on the team to new, more expensive contracts on top. And half the secondary.

And they've also never been a team to go all-in on "win now" at the cost of future years - as drafting Love or even Rodgers himself showed. So they're just not signing a player with Julio's wage requirements, even if somehow with absolutely massive cap gymnastics they just about squeezed him in this year. Its not just in keeping with the long term planning strategy of the team at all.

That’s what I meant last night when I said they can’t make the numbers work. They have the biggest cap overshoot going in to 2022 with lots of guys to re-sign, without digging in to the individual contracts I don’t see how you add somebody like Jones to that.

Pats, Chargers, Colts or Browns would be my guess as well but these things often spring a surprise. I honestly don’t think it’ll be an easy trade to make however. Falcons will likely overvalue him and quite honestly I’d be wary of trading for a 32 year old that will probably want a new contract on arrival. As awesome as he is I wouldn’t want my team giving up a bunch of picks for him.

Id take him for a 2nd round pick.

My only concern is the Falcons know we were happy to give them a second round pick for the reanimated corpse of Mohamed Sanu - so God knows what they'll want from us for Julio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rodgers just sounded like a spoilt child from the quotes yesterday.

Didn't see quotes yesterday but I'm been banging that drum a long time at this stage so I'd well believe it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Fair and I agree with a lot of the above.

'We don't do win now' stinks of real arrogance from the front office though, a similar kind to the arrogance that led them to not communicate the potential QB pick last year to their HC and QB.

I don't think it is surprising that a front office that never goes 'all-in' has struggled to even make it to Super Bowls in the last 30 years despite having two QBs in the wider GOAT discussion (not saying either are #1 before anyone drags this off topic, just that they would be on many top 5 or 10 lists). That is a terrible return and should cause a team to reevaluate their approach.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Fair and I agree with a lot of the above.

'We don't do win now' stinks of real arrogance from the front office though, a similar kind to the arrogance that led them to not communicate the potential QB pick last year to their HC and QB.

I don't think it is surprising that a front office that never goes 'all-in' has struggled to even make it to Super Bowls in the last 30 years despite having two QBs in the wider GOAT discussion (not saying either are #1 before anyone drags this off topic, just that they would be on many top 5 or 10 lists). That is a terrible return and should cause a team to reevaluate their approach.

I'd disagree. Its not arrogance to prioritize long term stability over short term potential (with no guarantee of it actually working) success. Look at how many teams have mortgaged their future for all-in win now seasons, only to get nothing for it and spend years afterwards in the wilderness.

The Packers have the best win/loss rate of any team in the NFL. They're ranked #1 for amount of playoff game appearances. They're tied #3 for most consecutive years making the playoffs. They're #5 for number of Superbowl wins. By any metric they're one of the most consistently successful teams in the NFL. Which means the front office must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

I'd disagree. Its not arrogance to prioritize long term stability over short term potential (with no guarantee of it actually working) success. Look at how many teams have mortgaged their future for all-in win now seasons, only to get nothing for it and spend years afterwards in the wilderness.

The Packers have the best win/loss rate of any team in the NFL. They're ranked #1 for amount of playoff game appearances. They're tied #3 for most consecutive years making the playoffs. They're #5 for number of Superbowl wins. By any metric they're one of the most consistently successful teams in the NFL. Which means the front office must be doing something right.

How many of that front office were there for those Superbowl wins? Or should we say Cam is doing something right since NE is so successful? I am willing to bet there are not too many left from their first superbowl win so not sure why they get the credit for that!

Lots of teams also prioritise long term stability and end up doing nothing for years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Christy42 wrote: »
    How many of that front office were there for those Superbowl wins? Or should we say Cam is doing something right since NE is so successful? I am willing to bet there are not too many left from their first superbowl win so not sure why they get the credit for that!

Lots of teams also prioritise long term stability and end up doing nothing for years on end.
    No other team personifies this strategy more than my team, the Raiders. They gave Gruden a 10 year deal in the hope that giving Gruden time would enable a stable progressive team to be built. Annnnd...........................we're still waiting!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

i think gutekunst is allot more aggressive than TT and is in win now mode with all the contract restructuring that went on this off season, like in 2022 is going to be hell with the cap considering our top 8 players are something like 160m against the cap with Alexander and Adams free agents. The real kicker about this whole rodgers saga is that i feel we have a better team than last year with Fuchess back and the draft filled allot of needs.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »

The question was relating to the Packers long term stability strategic focus. Which has been a front office policy for decades, its not something new brought in in the last year by a fresh hire.

The results of that strategy for the Packers speak for themselves, they clearly haven't "ended up doing nothing for years on end".

But if you want some additional, more current, statistic the Packers are #2 ranked in wins in the last decade. And #2 in playoff appearances. Behind only the slightly unreal Belichick/Brady Patriots.

Advertisement