Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ajax wireless alarm system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just a wee update on the Ajax system I had installed by homesecure late last year...

I came downstairs this morning, hadn't disabled the alarm which was in night mode... Was making a cup of tea and knocked over a cup on the counter, it didn't break, but did set off the alarm...
    shock detected at kitchen window

I was actually impressed with the fact that it picked up the noise, bit also that they supply more than just the basic sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So finally got round to installing my Ajax system this weekend. Very impressed so far, absolutely streets ahead of the previous Yale offering I had.
    Bit of faffing about to connect my HikVision DVR video cameras to the app (needed to remove from Hik-Connect and add to Ezviz - doesnt work on both ecosystems at the same time despite both being Hikvision).
    I'm struggling to understand what the "video surveillance" feature is for though, I've already added the cameras to the app and can see them in devices (and can view the video streams) but the video surveillance feature wont let me add them in there as well. I tried removing the cameras and then adding into the video surveillance section alone but scanning the DVR QR code there just gives me device not found so am at a bit of a loss, does anyone know what thats for or perhaps have an idea of what i'm dong wrong?

The geofence feature seems useful for an individual however what if your partner has it enabled on their mobile also and is at home while you go out with your phone beyond the "geofence"?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Supercell wrote: »

The geofence feature seems useful for an individual however what if your partner has it enabled on their mobile also and is at home while you go out with your phone beyond the "geofence"?

It's just a reminder for you to arm/disarm it doesn't do it automatically. It can be a bit annoying but I like the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

I got a quote today from Homesecure that i will probably go with. Could i check with anyone here, after the 3 years is up, switching to the ajax app is free and doesnt have a recurring charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

pauldoo wrote: »
    I got a quote today from Homesecure that i will probably go with. Could i check with anyone here, after the 3 years is up, switching to the ajax app is free and doesnt have a recurring charge?

Be careful, the company that owns phone watch, Sector, bought Homesecure a few weeks ago.

So expect the terms and conditions to change.

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »

That is the agreement I have with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kub wrote: »
    Be careful, the company that owns phone watch, Sector, bought Homesecure a few weeks ago.

So expect the terms and conditions to change.

At which point, your contract is broken and you may be free to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭vintcerf

we've an old alarm system and every time it goes off and we are not there - we've to drive back home to turn it off via the physical keypad. can you turn off the ajax alarm remotely via the app? also, is anyone using this system with onvif cameras? is the integration straightforward?

vintcerf wrote: »
    we've an old alarm system and every time it goes off and we are not there - we've to drive back home to turn it off via the physical keypad. can you turn off the ajax alarm remotely via the app? also, is anyone using this system with onvif cameras? is the integration straightforward?

Yes, you can turn it on and off remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Hi all,

Thank you for the great insight in this thread, have read all the posts and has given me a good idea that the AJAX system will suit my needs.

I priced it up with a very helpful guy in Homesecure this morning and it came to €1350 for installation, 5 door sensors, 4 motion sensors, 1 keypad, 1 key fob, 1 external siren and 1 "deterrent" dummy box with flashing LED. This is for 36 months and includes their monitoring service.

Pricing it up on Megateh and Best Alarm System to do it myself and should be able to get the above (excl. the dummy box) plus an internal Home Siren (approx €50), an additional key fob (only €30 euro) for around €930 delivered. This would also include the Hub 2 Plus which I don't believe is what Homesecure are offering (think theirs is just the standard one that doesn't have wifi).

It would be a saving of approx €400 but that does not include any monitoring.

Some questions:
    1. Are there any companies that offers monitoring on devices that they didn't install?
    2. Is there much value in monitoring? Parents and in-laws have had some poor experience with response times when needed which would negate the benefit of it for the most part.
    3. For the sensors required, would all downstairs doors be sufficient do you believe? The motion sensors are planned to cover downstairs also.

The Homesecure offer is pretty decent to be fair to them. I know I am getting more (better hub, internal siren and extra fob) for €400 less but I thought it would be more of a saving considering it doesn't allow for the monitoring.

• Advertisement

I chose to go with Home Secure for the first three years toi see what I thought of the service. Professional installation and monitoring are a bonus and the extra uplift in cost spread over the three year period is acceptable to me. After that I can choose to stay with them, or not...

Would anyone know on the monitoring service for self installed AJAX systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thomasoreilly

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I chose to go with Home Secure for the first three years toi see what I thought of the service. Professional installation and monitoring are a bonus and the extra uplift in cost spread over the three year period is acceptable to me. After that I can choose to stay with them, or not...

I did exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

this is a very interesting thread, thanks for everyones input... seriously looking at this system and think i might go for the three year option...
    One question, what is the sim card needed for in this system? (i know nothing about alarm systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

jobless wrote: »
    this is a very interesting thread, thanks for everyones input... seriously looking at this system and think i might go for the three year option...
    One question, what is the sim card needed for in this system? (i know nothing about alarm systems)

Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Have asked elsewhere but for now response- have decided on the Ajax system for a self install but our windows (upvc) have quite a curved profile where the door protect sensor would be mounted- just wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue previously and how they worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How dependent on running servers is this system? Say, for example, you self-install it and download the app. What functionality from the system will stop working in the event the company decides to kill the app and turn off their servers?

In others words, like a Nest camera, is the system useless if the supplier kills any of its services?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭altor

How dependent on running servers is this system? Say, for example, you self-install it and download the app. What functionality from the system will stop working in the event the company decides to kill the app and turn off their servers?

In others words, like a Nest camera, is the system useless if the supplier kills any of its services?

I'm sure it would be the case of it stopping notifications from the alarm system as it would be the server sending these.
    If you could add a text dialer to the system you could self monitor the alarm that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Did anybody else see the tweet on Ajax Twitter that they are having an event on May 20th to launch new devices? I wonder what will launch - there are some very good suggestions logged on the suggestions page on the Ajax website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Brianb8802

Has anybody tried a multi transmitter install yet?

I've moved into a pre wired new build and thinking of going down the route of buying the slimline window and door detectors that you would get with a HKC system or similar and wiring them into the multi transmitter. Have 13 detectors downstairs, not planning on doing upstairs.

This will give the fully functionally Ajax system but a bit cheaper and no need for battery replacement. I think the slimline detectors are a bit nicer since they are smaller. Not sure where I can buy these detectors but I presume an electrical wholesaler will have them for about €20.

I was also going to pick up the two sirens and a hub and power them via a simple power adaptor already linked in this thread.

Might put in one or two PIRs also but these would be battery and wireless.

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Considering it myself.

For the doors and windows go wired and for motion sensors go wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

New keypad announced with support for tags and cards, new outdoor curtain type motion sensor and new outdoor photo motion sensor - should be available from June onwards, already see them on Megateh’s website.

Apple-esq presentation with emphasis on the fact that they “do not release sh1t” (half-baked software or products) which is fair enough if true ������

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Are these systems battery only. For example, if I have wiring for a control panel, can I get an Ajax keypad and wire it up to the mains so I don't have to worry about batteries?

Are these systems battery only. For example, if I have wiring for a control panel, can I get an Ajax keypad and wire it up to the mains so I don't have to worry about batteries?

No, it a system. Just like you can't take the gearbox from a Porsche and put it into a Ford Focus.

However, Ajax to sell an extender to make exiting system compatible with theirs... So you can keep most of the existing components such as sensors and build a new system around them...

Only problem with giving the system a power source from mains supply is if mains is off.
    The batteries should be lasting 2 years plus in those keypads.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭larry1

I'm having the Home Secure system installed tomorrow. The old HKC alarm is still wired and alive, is it easy to disable or would I need to get someone out?

Thank you

If you ask the installer to disconnect the mains and battery, let external ring out then it should be dead in 20/30 minutes.

Just had a very poor experience with best-alarm-system.

Their site mentions

"I see a lower price of the same product elsewhere

We use the lowest price guarantee. If you see a product cheaper elsewhere, please let us know. We are official dealer of AJAX, so we can well imagine that you prefer to buy the products from us. With us you are assured of the right after sales, and you will receive the support you need."

It also says that in the chat box, however when you show them megateh prices they say it only applies to official dealers. Also tried to say megateh prices don't include VAT which they do.

When I said that it was misleading and most likely false advertising they blocked me from the chat.

I still ordered from them I must add, they were only slightly more expensive overall in the grand scheme of things and give 4 year warranty versus 2.

Post edited by ustari on

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭larry1

HELP! Alarm was fitted and the guy disconnected the old alarm and battery. The external box rang for about 20 mins and then stopped when he was here BUT then kicked off at 1:50am and has being going all night and is still going at 7am 🥱😐😐 My neighbours love me! How can I stop the external bell from ringing? HELP PLEASE!

• Advertisement

Advertisement