Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

@Fogmatic: I look after the NCT for three vehicles in the house. On two occasions recently I had to book appointments in a centre an hour's drive away, just to get in before the expiry. On both occasions, I was able to reschedule to my nearest centre by checking _every_ evening at about 9.30 pm. Just spend ten minutes refreshing the centre you want and it'll pop up a date that will suit you.

Do it right now, it's almost 9.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Just checking something - think I know the answer but hopefully somebody had a similar experience and can confirm (did a search but not conclusive).

So, the car failed the NCT Feb last year (2020), got it fixed and had a retest booked but then COVID/lift issues kicked off so we eventually declared it off the road for the last 6 months as it was not being used anyway.

Long story short is that the cert is 14 months out of date. If (fingers crossed) it passes on Friday, how long will the new cert be valid for?

Cheers,
    PB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

phelimb wrote: »
    Just checking something - think I know the answer but hopefully somebody had a similar experience and can confirm (did a search but not conclusive).

So, the car failed the NCT Feb last year (2020), got it fixed and had a retest booked but then COVID/lift issues kicked off so we eventually declared it off the road for the last 6 months as it was not being used anyway.

Long story short is that the cert is 14 months out of date. If (fingers crossed) it passes on Friday, how long will the new cert be valid for?

Cheers,
    PB

Have a look on this thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057902971

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

phelimb wrote: »

Cheers,
    PB

12-24 months dependant on the age of the car, would be my understanding. If your car is 4-9 years old, 2 year cert. If its 10+ years, a 1 year cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

12-24 months dependant on the age of the car, would be my understanding. If your car is 4-9 years old, 2 year cert. If its 10+ years, a 1 year cert.

It will be valid for 10 months or 22 months depending on age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Pretty sure it'll be 12 months valid NCT.

My missus was over a year out of date, got it done and I'm pretty sure she got a full 12 months from the test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

@Fogmatic: I look after the NCT for three vehicles in the house. On two occasions recently I had to book appointments in a centre an hour's drive away, just to get in before the expiry. On both occasions, I was able to reschedule to my nearest centre by checking _every_ evening at about 9.30 pm. Just spend ten minutes refreshing the centre you want and it'll pop up a date that will suit you.

Do it right now, it's almost 9.30 pm.
    Thanks! Only saw your post about 10 this morning, but will try this evening.(and keep trying).

I tried on a whim later today (about 12.30), and a free slot had appeared at my nearest centre for today, but by then there waan't eough time to get there! Maybe it's worth trying in any spare moments in case of cancellations (the booking request thingy didn't tell me about it, but then maybe it has a queue of requests to work through).

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Thanks! Only saw your post about 10 this morning, but will try this evening.(and keep trying).

I tried on a whim later today (about 12.30), and a free slot had appeared at my nearest centre for today, but by then there waan't eough time to get there! Maybe it's worth trying in any spare moments in case of cancellations (the booking request thingy didn't tell me about it, but then maybe it has a queue of requests to work through).

It's my understanding that cancellations etc. are released at 9.30 pm so that one was probably released yesterday evening. Anyway, let's know how you get on.

Result! Got an email earlier today presumably via the Booking Request form, with an appointment on May 12th (still 9 days after expiry, but better than the end of June!).

Then tried the Reschedule thing at 9.30, and after a bit of fiddling about got to the website and (once I'd used the browser's refresh button) a slot appeared at the nearest centre for tomorrow. (And what's more, the one time available wasn't at some unearthly hour!). So I bagged it as fast as I could given our rather flaky broadband (so that's some low-level stress gone!).

Many thanks WestWicklow1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've done 3 ncts in lockdown now. I don't think the waiting room was closed any of those times. They've no speaker outside to facilitate that anyway. Probably depends on the centre.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    I've done 3 ncts in lockdown now. I don't think the waiting room was closed any of those times. They've no speaker outside to facilitate that anyway. Probably depends on the centre.

Yes, I expect it does. My nearest one's quite small (no need for speakers - they can just wave/walk a few steps to whoever in their car park!).

I didn't find out what their Covid protocol is re where to wait or over-70s. The door into the little waiting room was propped open and the room empty when I was there, but then it was a great day to get some sun. And the person who checked me didn't seem in the mood for queries, so I just went outside to wait, with everyone else.

It didn't pass, but that was fairly likely anyway (though it's unpredictable, as there's not always any apparent consistency in it). Our mechanic's on course for a retest on Monday, so hopefully all good.

Enjoyment of the drive there was marred a bit by realising just before setting off that my driving licence was two days out of date, but that's resolved (and another topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

My new NCT is up at the end of June and the next date I can get is August. Doh

baldbear wrote: »
    My new NCT is up at the end of June and the next date I can get is August. Doh

You need to read back through a few recent posts to find a solution.

You need to read back through a few recent posts to find a solution.
    Page 57 should do it. (The Booking Request form mentioned is at the online booking site, for contacting them if we can't get an appointment).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's usually slots made available from cancellations last thing in the evening (10pm - 11pm ish) and first thing in the morning ( 8am - 9am ish) if you try a few of the nearest centres and can be flexible with the day and time there's a good chance an appointment will be available in the next few days. Just keep refreshing your browser and keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

My NCT isn't up until August 1st but I just logged on to have a look at available dates after hearing about NCT backlog and the next available date anywhere near me is August 10th.

Does that sound right or should I wait until closer to the time and see if anything before the due date becomes available? Seems a bit mental the next date is over 2 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dobman88 wrote: »
    My NCT isn't up until August 1st but I just logged on to have a look at available dates after hearing about NCT backlog and the next available date anywhere near me is August 10th.

Does that sound right or should I wait until closer to the time and see if anything before the due date becomes available? Seems a bit mental the next date is over 2 months away.

Try tonight at 930pm when the cancelled bookings are returned to the booking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I booked an nct on Monday and got a date for tomorrow, if you check at the right time you can a date sooner

Cheers lads. Nothing major since both our cars are not due until August 1st. Got a date for both cars 15th and 16th July in a centre an hour away so its not the end of the world. Mid August was the next date showing near us in Dublin/Meath though so seems to be location dependent.

Expecting both to pass first time so fingers crossed.

Try tonight at 930pm when the cancelled bookings are returned to the booking system.
    If you keep trying that, it seems very likely you'll get a better date soon, but should you feel the need to book that August slot now just in case, it wouldn''t cause any confusion (the online system would automatically see the second booking as a re-booking).

• Advertisement

Fogmatic wrote: »
    If you keep trying that, it seems very likely you'll get a better date soon, but should you feel the need to book that August slot now just in case, it wouldn''t cause any confusion (the online system would automatically see the second booking as a re-booking).

Yep, sorted for 15th and 16th of July, cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.ncts.ie/
    COVID-19: Update: All NCT centres are fully operational. The NCT service is deemed an essential service and customers travelling for scheduled appointments are exempt from the travel restrictions.

Those who are more vulnerable are advised to contact the NCTS on 01 4135992 (Monday to Friday) to arrange an alternative appointment, free of any cancellation/rearrangement fees.

Re-tests must be conducted within 30 days of the initial test or a full test will need to be conducted again.

In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are asking customers to pay by credit/debit card.

Please ensure you wear the correct clothing attire as you may have to wait outside the building while your vehicle is inspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So my NCT expired on the 18-5 with the extension. Got cancellation test on the 22-5. Failed miserably as dangerous. Corrosion underneath. Wanted us to tow it. Was driving fine by all accounts.

Got it repaired and got the car yesterday the 26-5. Retest booked for 31-5.

Where am I legally now in terms of driving? Am I insured what happens if guards stop me?
    I will keep all the documents with me. Retest and Garage repairs receipt etc.

M

So my NCT expired on the 18-5 with the extension. Got cancellation test on the 22-5. Failed miserably as dangerous. Corrosion underneath. Wanted us to tow it. Was driving fine by all accounts.

Got it repaired and got the car yesterday the 26-5. Retest booked for 31-5.

Where am I legally now in terms of driving? Am I insured what happens if guards stop me?
    I will keep all the documents with me. Retest and Garage repairs receipt etc.

My interpretation would be it can't be driven on the road until reinspected if it was failed dangerous result

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If the car is repaired and the retest is booked personally I'd drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

NCT test have been put out by 4 months - on some vehicles.

Got an email this morning to say the test was put off for 4 months.
    I thought it might be dodgy, but it checks out on the nct website

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    NCT test have been put out by 4 months - on some vehicles.

Got an email this morning to say the test was put off for 4 months.
    I thought it might be dodgy, but it checks out on the nct website

Yes, the NCT deferrals are genuine, but just to say it doesn't necessarily follow that the email is. (Could be best to just go straight to the website from a browswer - some sophisticated fake websites have been doing the rounds).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got a letter yesterday saying my date has been put off by four months.

Thing is, it's on a car that hasn't been used for a very long time and the original expiry was May 2020. Not 2021.

Its just back driving now, actually arrived back from the mechanic to find the letter. Not sure I'll trust that letter to protect me against points, so hopefully the system actually lets me book

Edit: booking engine tells me to go away as I'm not due (although you can always book anyway). Validity checker says I'm out! Definitely going to book something to have in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Does anyone know if a car will fail because of a 'day running light' bulb not working? We've replaced the bulb, but it turns out its actually something to do with the unit itself as its burning out the bulbs immediately. Our test is in less than 5 days and we're having trouble getting it replaced/fixed in time.

• Advertisement
    M

Does anyone know if a car will fail because of a 'day running light' bulb not working? We've replaced the bulb, but it turns out its actually something to do with the unit itself as its burning out the bulbs immediately. Our test is in less than 5 days and we're having trouble getting it replaced/fixed in time.

It will depend on the particular car, some cars will use the DRL's as what would be referred to the 'parking lights' in older cars. If you have no additional parking lights that come on between going from no lights to normal driving lights then it will fail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement