Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things I wish I knew 5/10 years ago

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d tell myself to use the ab wheel every day and to never take time off because the DOMS are not worth it. I did a half arsed 3 x 5 yesterday snd I’m very sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’d tell myself to use the ab wheel every day and to never take time off because the DOMS are not worth it. I did a half arsed 3 x 5 yesterday snd I’m very sore today.

This and also it's just way easier to tip away at maintenance than build everything back up again. One tough session per week would go a long way to retaining muscle and strength during times when life is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nothing will give you the kind of DOMS ab rollouts do so there's definitely a case for keeping your hand in with them every week/10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Going back to basics over the past few days reading up on the fundamentals. Might be of use to others -
      If you're wondering what the best form of cardio is, it's the one you actually like doing the most, because that's the one you'll stick with.
      If you're a beginner just starting to get the hang of macro counting, aim to hit protein, keep within calories and let fats/carbs fall where they fall.
      Stop overanalyzing and lift the weights! Being stubborn and consistent will get better results than being 100% efficient and constantly changing or backtracking.
      If you're new to the gym, stop trying to over analyze and over program your workouts. Just... try. A little effort is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

Don’t be so reliant on a gym. Exercise can be done anywhere, anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

You don't need 7 different bicep exercises in a workout etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

599294.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Don’t be so reliant on a gym. Exercise can be done anywhere, anytime.

i agree to a degree but if you are into the gym esp weights it's not the same and not even a close substitute.

people who say this ignore the - you should like what you do - aspect.
    because if you don't you won't commit with the same vigour.

I've had some good craic in park and met a few lads over the past year but it's piss poor (imo) compared to what I want to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

paw patrol wrote: »
    i agree to a degree but if you are into the gym esp weights it's not the same and not even a close substitute.

people who say this ignore the - you should like what you do - aspect.
    because if you don't you won't commit with the same vigour.

I've had some good craic in park and met a few lads over the past year but it's piss poor (imo) compared to what I want to do.

Yeah, I think that's valid.

A gym is to training what a kitchen is to cooking, is an analogy that's in my head.

Of course you can prepare food and feed yourself without a kitchen, with a bit of ingenuity, but it's not the same as having access to that fully-stocked kitchen.

If you want to be a bodybuilder or to get maximally strong, you need a gym.

But in saying that, I also agree with the sentiment that when there's no gym you either buy your own kit or you train outdoors, there was definitely a necessity to pivot to other training approaches in the past year and a half, end of story.

Advertisement