Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book depository

• 04-05-2021 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I haven’t used Book Depository in years.

They sometimes have the same book listed twice and the details state one is published in the US and the other is the U.K.

On previous occasions when buying I always bought the U.K. published one especially for children’s books as I assumed there would be a difference in spelling.

Am I correct?

There are books I was looking at today that only show as published in the US

Amazon U.K. doesn’t show the publisher country.

Would all books sold on Amazon U.K. be published in the U.K. with the correct spelling.

After some effort I have got my nephew to read more and don’t want to confuse the issue with American spelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HenryCrun

There is a directory of publishers sorted by country on the Publishers Global website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

HenryCrun wrote: »
    There is a directory of publishers sorted by country on the Publishers Global website.

Thank you for responding but I don’t understand how this answers my question.

I’m not being snarky - the problem is clearly me not being able to see it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HenryCrun

You could use the directory to check whether a publisher is based in the USA or in the UK. It would of course be easier if the vendor website shows this information, but if you are unsure whether a book is in the correct spelling it would be a way to find out.

As far as I am aware Book Depository does show country of publication for some books, but maybe not consistently. Publisher information is available for the book "Fascism" by Madeleine Albright, wich has both UK and USA editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

HenryCrun wrote: »
    You could use the directory to check whether a publisher is based in the USA or in the UK. It would of course be easier if the vendor website shows this information, but if you are unsure whether a book is in the correct spelling it would be a way to find out.

As far as I am aware Book Depository does show country of publication for some books, but maybe not consistently. Publisher information is available for the book "Fascism" by Madeleine Albright, wich has both UK and USA editions.

I wish I could say that it was the early hour that had me unable to follow your suggestion but it was in fact just me being dense :p

Cheers

Advertisement