Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAO finished dimensions

• 24-04-2021 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, a quick query about sizes. I've been buying PAO timber from the same supplier for years. Anything which is say "6 by 1" ends up being 18mm thick which is fine and I'm used to it.

A few years ago I was in England and bought some PAO and the finished thickness was 20mm. I know it's only 2mm extra but it made the planks a lot more substantial and easier to work too. Does anyone know where you could get it here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

tibia wrote: »
    Hi, a quick query about sizes. I've been buying PAO timber from the same supplier for years. Anything which is say "6 by 1" ends up being 18mm thick which is fine and I'm used to it.

A few years ago I was in England and bought some PAO and the finished thickness was 20mm. I know it's only 2mm extra but it made the planks a lot more substantial and easier to work too. Does anyone know where you could get it here?

I don't think you will get it here, the dimensions refer to the measurements before the timber before it was planed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tibia

Thanks. I should have mentioned that it was "8 by 1" that I ordered when I got a finished thickness of 20mm.

I suppose I was wondering if the finished dimensions are left to discretion at the time of the planing operation or is there some sort of informal standard?

The dimensions are standard, anything off standard would cost a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tibia

OK thanks. I searched on google and found a few suppliers in Ireland quoting 20mm finished size. So I might try one of these the next time I buy a decent amount.

There used to be a 7" or 8" by 1,1/4" tongue and grooved white deal which had a finished thickness of 22mm if I remember correctly, it was used for sheeting shed doors and commercial flooring, but I haven't seen it recently, you could get an 8'/4' sheet of 25mm pine or red deal laminated board and cut it into whatever widths boards you need

• Advertisement
Advertisement