Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My board game genesis

Options
  • 16-04-2021 9:38pm

Never a fan of Monopoly, my first gamrs were Game of Life and then the Business Game. Some Risk, then Escape from Colditz, the first proper board game for me, which I still own and play. Then I got red box D n D, so board games went away for years.

Until I started going to conventions and found Diplomacy, Macchiavelli, and Pit!

In the 80s I found Chill, Blood Bowl, Civilisation, Merchant of Venus. I had Leading Edge Aliens with minis which I sold for the price of a foreign holiday 10 years ago.

I dropped off the hobby until the 2000s and only got back in with worker placement and the rise of Euro games, along with a settled life style and some spare cash and free time.

Now it is like an illness - I have c85 games now - a couple of grand investment and my favourites are Gory to Rome, Scythe, Gloomhaven, Roborally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It was a bunch of Milton Bradley games back in the 80s that put me on this path: Thunder Road, Shogun and the classic combo of Heroquest and Space Crusade. I had Escape from Colditz as well though since I had to remember the rules for my friends I always ended up as the commandant which meant I was really only stalling the other players until one of them won the game.

I forgot Space Crusade. Had painted all the pieces. And I still have a copy of Thunder Road, which I think was made in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Loved boardgames as a kid before discovering risk in the 80s.Played the hell out of basic risk and castle risk for a few years.Also escape from colditz and hero quest made the odd appearance
    Since then played a bit when the opportunity arose up to around 2008 when it became a serious hobby/addiction.
    Since then way to many games bought.

Advertisement