Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Realistic Zombie Scenario

• 02-03-2012 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Hi all, relatively new to this forum. I am constantly thinking of possible/realistic scenarios that zombies could arise from. I'm looking at the possible ways Z-Day could start. Personally I believe that if Z-Day does ever come about it would have to be some sort of mass infection via either air born pathogens or possibly water based pathogens that could infect mass amounts of people at a time.

The most plausible scenarios I can think of that have been covered in zombietainment are 'I am Legend' & 'The Crazies'.

What do you think would be the most realistic zombie outbreak situation and why, and what are the chances that you wouldn't be infected in the initial outbreak without even knowing where maybe the first infected humans incubate the disease/virus for a long duration of time.

Evd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Most realistic scenario I can forsee is a Rage like virus thats man made and manages to either get out on a test subject or is used in a bio-terrisim attack and infects a huge area and ravages everything in its path.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I immediately thought of the spanish flu when i read the topic name,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

an estimated 27% of the entire population of the planet were infected by it. I think the most realistic Zombie scenario would begin with it spreading like it did with the Spanish Flu or more recently, Swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You'd need something both highly infectious and relatively benign in the early stages. Like way more infectious than the common cold. Then what you'd need is either a near simultaneous global mutation (extremely unlikely) or a secondary infection that only hits those with the first infection.

Genetically modifying a nasty strain of flu with some sort of time release rhabdoviridae could do it.

Technically I would say that's not feasable with our current level of technology, even if it could be done the strain wouldn't affect everyone equally - it would be spotted before it could do any real damage. And even then you wouldn't get revenants, just a bunch of demented people wandering around who'd be dead in a couple of days through dehydration.

A zombie apocalypse just ain't a scenario lads, unless you're figuring black magic into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A rage like virus works to fast, making it to obvious to make it through to many borders.

We do have procedures to avoid the spread of diseases, as soon as something pops up in Mexico we know about it over here the next day, the press are eager to find the next big disease to scare the crap out of the general population.

The only way I could see it happening is if the outbreak happens in China. They'd try to cover it up, so would spread. China have a lot of overseas investments in places like Africa and a powerful elite could travel anywhere without question. China export millions of tonnes of goods each month and I would assume their exporting thousands of Chinese workers to their vested interests around the world.

Chinas global position and commie secrecy means they could easily spread the disease all over the planet.

I would say the Americans could do it too, if America gets bad they'll have the planes and money to flee the country and possibly bring the disease with them. They probably couldn't get the coverage China could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ScumLord wrote: »
    A rage like virus works to fast, making it to obvious to make it through to many borders.

We do have procedures to avoid the spread of diseases, as soon as something pops up in Mexico we know about it over here the next day, the press are eager to find the next big disease to scare the crap out of the general population.

The only way I could see it happening is if the outbreak happens in China. They'd try to cover it up, so would spread. China have a lot of overseas investments in places like Africa and a powerful elite could travel anywhere without question. China export millions of tonnes of goods each month and I would assume their exporting thousands of Chinese workers to their vested interests around the world.

Chinas global position and commie secrecy means they could easily spread the disease all over the planet.

I would say the Americans could do it too, if America gets bad they'll have the planes and money to flee the country and possibly bring the disease with them. They probably couldn't get the coverage China could though.

Yep that's about the size of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

ScumLord wrote: »

Is that you Nostradamus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Advertisement