Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AstraZeneca Vaccine - Calm My Anxiety?

Options
  • 20-03-2021 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey guys.

So last week I was supposed to get my vaccine but this was cancelled due to the clotting news. I was excited and optimistic up until it was postponed.

Now I’m nervous. As it resumes, I just had a call for an appointment on Tuesday morning for the jab. I’m very nervous and a bit hesitant now. All along I’ve favoured the Pfizer/ Moderna jab but am not in the category to get it.

I’m grateful to have the opportunity to be vaccinated but I am nervous. So I ask, those that received the AZ vaccine - please give me some ‘real world’ feedback. How did you feel after? How do you feel now? I’ll be driving to/ from to get the jab, an hour each way, will I be fine?

Thank you in advance!

(Admins please move the post to the correct thread if not correct)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I haven't had it yet - in late 60s - but would take it or any vaccine tomorrow. The chances of suffering from Covid are far far greater than ditto from most recently publicised complications of AZ Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I got mine at around 2pm. At 8pm I had the shivers and was exhausted. The next day I felt a bit nauseous and had a sore arm (more of a niggle). My arm was uncomfortable for 3-4 days. Some of my colleagues experienced cold/flu like symptoms but every one was fine within a day or 2. Paracetamol will help if you experience any of these symptoms. Plenty of colleagues had no symptoms. I wouldn't hesitate in taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DustPan12

PMBC wrote: »
    I haven't had it yet - in late 60s - but would take it or any vaccine tomorrow. The chances of suffering from Covid are far far greater than ditto from most recently publicised complications of AZ Oxford.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! That’s exactly what I’m trying to tell myself, covid will cause far greater complications than the vaccines.

I guess anxiety has just got the better of me. Again, I’m incredibly grateful to have the opportunity due to work and such to receive the vaccine but I do have my worries, like everybody I guess? Thank you again.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I got mine at around 2pm. At 8pm I had the shivers and was exhausted. The next day I felt a bit nauseous and had a sore arm (more of a niggle). My arm was uncomfortable for 3-4 days. Some of my colleagues experienced cold/flu like symptoms but every one was fine within a day or 2. Paracetamol will help if you experience any of these symptoms. Plenty of colleagues had no symptoms. I wouldn't hesitate in taking it.

Thank you Scraggs! I have read a few people get some side effects such as the above but it’s the immune response to the vaccine and is totally normal/ expected. Thank you for informing me though, it’s nice to hear from real-world people rather than the media and so on. I’ll be sure to have paracetamol on standby!

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »

I have full faith in science but I’m lacking in terms of knowledge/ understanding if that makes sense? Thank you for the link, I’ll read it now. It’s crazy what the media can do to one’s anxiety and that’s exactly why I’m here - to hear of real-world accounts of those vaccinated rather than what is probably scaremongering among the media. Thank you again! 1 step closer to normality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Hi Op, I had mine today at 3pm, I'm in the severe risk group, so far I feel fine. I get the flu vaccine every year and it was very similar.

I'm more concerned about a splinter in my foot that I can't remove incidentally. Honestly, it was fine and everyone in the hospital was in good form and really helpful.

Hi Op, I had mine today at 3pm, I'm in the severe risk group, so far I feel fine. I get the flu vaccine every year and it was very similar.

I'm more concerned about a splinter in my foot that I can't remove incidentally. Honestly, it was fine and everyone in the hospital was in good form and really helpful.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing good! Thank you for telling me about your experience so far, I find hearing directly from others puts my mind at ease so it means a lot. I guess it’s a mix of emotions. Excited, nervous, happy, scared, optimistic, anxious... but in the end it’ll all be worth it :)

Just to update you all -

I got the AZ vaccine yesterday. Felt fine for 9-12 hours and then started to feel a bit crappy. My experience so far is - 12 hours after vaccine I felt a very heavy sensation and had aches/ pains and was freezing.

Last night I kept waking up as I was burning up and was just uncomfortable.

This morning, 24 hours later, I feel as though I’m hungover/ done a day at the gym in terms of aches and pains and have a bad headache. Nothing unbearable. I think I’ll be spending most of today on the couch.

But in the grand scheme of things it’s all good and I feel super optimistic for the future now. Thank you all for getting back to me for my original post, it was massively appreciated and put my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I had mine yesterday afternoon. By the evening I had a chill. Was frozen all night until 4am when I went the opposite way, roasting and awake for the rest of the night. Alternating between hot and cold today, have a headache and face flushed. Trying not to worry about it. Hope to feel better for Friday night beers!

DustPan12, how are you feeling today?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I want to get vaccinated and live a normal life, but I'm afraid of blood problems

uiolfg wrote: »
    I want to get vaccinated and live a normal life, but I'm afraid of blood problems

What blood problems?
    Have you underlying risks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I have diabetes + low hemoglobin. Next week I'm going to the doctor and see what he has to say.

uiolfg wrote: »
    I have diabetes + low hemoglobin. Next week I'm going to the doctor and see what he has to say.

Will tell you it's a safe vaccine. Which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,469 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had the AZ vaccine yesterday.
    I have zero qualms regarding it, and the additional info provided regarding the miniscule clotting danger is welcome but doesn't worry me.

The clotting risk from multiple other drugs and medicines.
    As a quick example, the contraceptive pill is far more dangerous.

sudzs wrote: »
    I had mine yesterday afternoon. By the evening I had a chill. Was frozen all night until 4am when I went the opposite way, roasting and awake for the rest of the night. Alternating between hot and cold today, have a headache and face flushed. Trying not to worry about it. Hope to feel better for Friday night beers!

DustPan12, how are you feeling today?

Hey Sudzs,

Thanks for the response. I had mine Tuesday morning and like that, about 9-12 hours in I was feeling very heavy and a bit unwell. I got achey and was freezing, with a bit of a headache. Later in the evening the aches worsened and I was burning up but was hot/ cold throughout the night, sleepless. The next morning/ afternoon I had a headache and was aching still, but by the evening of Wednesday I was doing fine but very very tired with a slight headache.

I’m doing well today and have the supply of beer for the Friday nights beers! Lol. How are you doing today? The nurse told me it’ll be a 24-48 hour thing, my side effects lasted about 36, minus tiredness and aches.

Honestly, based on my post (obviously) I was very anxious on the lead up! However, I’m now feeling perfectly fine and am feeling incredibly hopeful/ optimistic. There truly is risk with all medication (even a paracetamol) and they give you a list stating the expected side effects (24-48 hours) and what to look for in the case of clotting, which are also outlined quite clearly and gave me the confidence that if something was to go wrong I’d be able to identify it and seek the medical attention.

Thank you all for the input before/ after my vaccine on this post and I do hope others find it helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

DustPan12 wrote: »
    Hey Sudzs,

Thanks for the response. I had mine Tuesday morning and like that, about 9-12 hours in I was feeling very heavy and a bit unwell. I got achey and was freezing, with a bit of a headache. Later in the evening the aches worsened and I was burning up but was hot/ cold throughout the night, sleepless. The next morning/ afternoon I had a headache and was aching still, but by the evening of Wednesday I was doing fine but very very tired with a slight headache.

I’m doing well today and have the supply of beer for the Friday nights beers! Lol. How are you doing today? The nurse told me it’ll be a 24-48 hour thing, my side effects lasted about 36, minus tiredness and aches.

I managed the beers last night! But can't say I felt 100%. Better today though.

I've had lots of different vaccines in recent years and not one of them gave me any sort of side effects so wasn't expecting this to happen after the AZ vaccine. I know lots of people who had the Pfizer vaccine and had no reaction at all. That's just anecdotal I know but I wonder if the AZ is causing more side effects in more people.

I hope we don't have the same reaction to the second dose. :eek:

sudzs wrote: »
    I managed the beers last night! But can't say I felt 100%. Better today though.

I've had lots of different vaccines in recent years and not one of them gave me any sort of side effects so wasn't expecting this to happen after the AZ vaccine. I know lots of people who had the Pfizer vaccine and had no reaction at all. That's just anecdotal I know but I wonder if the AZ is causing more side effects in more people.

I hope we don't have the same reaction to the second dose. :eek:

I too have had very few after affects from other vaccines compared to how I felt after the AZ. However, it’s definitely a small price to pay and there’ll be plenty more Friday night beer opportunities!

I’ve heard mixed things about the second dose of AZ. Some say it’s worse, some say it’s better. I read also the first dose of AZ is the worst for side-effects and the second isn’t so bad. Whereas with Pfizer, the first is grand but the second is meant to cause more after affects, but who knows! Different for everybody I’m sure. But hope you’re doing better now, I’m sure this thread will be revisited in 3 months after the second jab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I had my first jab two days ago. I am just about back to my normal self.

I was fine for 3 to 4 hours after the jab, but then it hit me. Fever, shakes/shivers, stomach ache, chest pains, numb legs, swollen glands in the neck and a migraine like headache.

I got the jab because although I am young(ish) I am classed as vulnerable, because of autism.

So to top all that off the jab caused some really long autism meltdowns and random night time walkies because I wasn't in control of my mind (autism meltdown)!

Really surprised the jab doesn't come with a don't drive after taking it warning, because I for one would not of been capable of driving at all that day, or yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

From Twitter:

https://twitter.com/alex_freeman/status/1379808289278545922?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

3 information graphics showing the relative risk of the AZ vaccine vs the likelihood of ICU admission. UK data, but good data from a good source so far as I can tell.

Advertisement