Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for opinions on Don Fink half ironman plan

• 23-01-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just looking for a bit of feedback/opinion on heartrate training. Im doing Don Fink half ironman training plan. (having to skip the swimming because of lockdown)
    In Don Fink the vast majority of the cycling running is done at zone 2 .
    For myself I calculated my max heart rate 183(5k races and sprints).
    Don Finks zone2 for running from this max hr is between 135 to 154 bpm for running and 128 to 146 for cycling
    I've done stuff on zone 2 heart rate before to build up endurance. My belief at the time and from various info on the subject that zone 2 heart rate should be around 120bpm to 130bpm. The problem was the pace I was doing sub 130 was horrendously slow and even though it increased i ended up giving up.
    My pace at Don Finks zone 2 is much more comfortable, but I'm concerned is that the heart rate is actually zone 3 (the zone to be avoided in training)
    Any feedback would be welcome because 16 weeks of training is a long time to commit to if you're doing something wrong.

BTW I'm 43 years old male. Doing triathlon about 3 years. Train away myself because I haven't the time to join a club even though I'd love to. Happy to finish sprints Olympics in the top half of the field.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bartybull wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of feedback/opinion on heartrate training. Im doing Don Fink half ironman training plan. (having to skip the swimming because of lockdown)
    In Don Fink the vast majority of the cycling running is done at zone 2 .
    For myself I calculated my max heart rate 183(5k races and sprints).
    Don Finks zone2 for running from this max hr is between 135 to 154 bpm for running and 128 to 146 for cycling
    I've done stuff on zone 2 heart rate before to build up endurance. My belief at the time and from various info on the subject that zone 2 heart rate should be around 120bpm to 130bpm. The problem was the pace I was doing sub 130 was horrendously slow and even though it increased i ended up giving up.
    My pace at Don Finks zone 2 is much more comfortable, but I'm concerned is that the heart rate is actually zone 3 (the zone to be avoided in training)
    Any feedback would be welcome because 16 weeks of training is a long time to commit to if you're doing something wrong.

BTW I'm 43 years old male. Doing triathlon about 3 years. Train away myself because I haven't the time to join a club even though I'd love to. Happy to finish sprints Olympics in the top half of the field.

Max HR is different per sport.
    Easy cycling is meant to be easy (read slow for most).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

to add what tunney said you cant just extrapolate your bike hr from a 5 k run

besides if you do everything right i would not worry too much about your worry, its less than a min for your 40k bike split at most. and if you train more because you have fun it could be faster .
    146 regardless how you test will likely a bit too high but i would not worry at all going up too 135 /140 .
    disclaimer i know nothing about your training but the thing is nothing massively changes from hr 120 to 140 its not that there is a switch which goes from perfect to really bad training .
    the most important thing is unless going a bit faster in those sessions, you talk about, has an impact on your faster session ie makes them slower, all is good once that changes than you need to make easier easier or sleep more eat better etc etc

good question btw.

Advertisement