Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I tighten this toilet seat?

Options
  • 15-05-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

My toilet seat is starting to move a little bit and I want to tighten it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the fixings.

It's a back to wall toilet and there's no access to fittings from underneath the pan. I can't see any grub screws in the chrome fixings or release buttons, so hoping someone can help.

Here's some pics of the fixings.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I have had a couple of those particular fittings or similar fitting.

I am sorry to say they are tighten via wing nut under the pan. Presumably the seat was installed before it was positioned against the wall. Is there are any scope for pulling the pan away from the wall. Typically there is a bolt each side of the pan to secure it to the floor- if so it might allow some wriggle room assuming qualplex was used in the install. Also the pan looks as though it hasn't been sealed against the wall - so removing the bolts might give you access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Check for a grub screw at the back of the fitting between wall and toilet seat fitting, if there is it may be a small allen screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I have one of those, impossible is the answer to mine anyway short of pulling toilet out from wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

See a lot of toilets these day, even freestanding ones with impossible to access seat fixings.

Why would they make a design like this? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There's no need to get behind the pan or underneath the seat.
    Google "toilet seat top-fix fittings".
    Now if it is a soft-close seat they are a right pain in the arse!
    But the brackets are still basically the same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is there a grub screw on the left side of the left bracket in the photo? Looks like there could be one there or maybe a reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

There's no need to get behind the pan or underneath the seat.
    Google "toilet seat top-fix fittings".
    Now if it is a soft-close seat they are a right pain in the arse!
    But the brackets are still basically the same .

I have seen the top-fix videos, but they all seem to have either a release button or concealed screw.
    There is nothing on my hinges to loosen or release the seat. I checked the back of the hinge that's against the wall and nothing there either.

I eventually did find an old video on youtube with someone installing a seat using the same hinges and other posters are right - its tightened underneath with a nut, so going to have to pull the whole pan out to tighten it up.

At least i have been able to confirm my suspicions, rather than pulling it out and then realising there was an easier way.

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I have seen the top-fix videos, but they all seem to have either a release button or concealed screw.
    There is nothing on my hinges to loosen or release the seat. I checked the back of the hinge that's against the wall and nothing there either.

I eventually did find an old video on youtube with someone installing a seat using the same hinges and other posters are right - its tightened underneath with a nut, so going to have to pull the whole pan out to tighten it up.

At least i have been able to confirm my suspicions, rather than pulling it out and then realising there was an easier way.

Thanks everyone!

Jeezus.... that sounds like a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

An opportunity to replace it with a top tightening one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Thanks everyone!

Or cut the thing off and install a top fix variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

is there any release button for the toilet seat?
    if there is .... remove the seat and you should then be able to prise off the the chrome covers and under there should be the fittings to be tightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

If you do get the wriggle room to tighten the nut under the pan, place a drop of epoxy glue on the bracket to prevent it moving in the future.

Alternatively as others have suggested get a new top fixing seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Before pulling it apart, visit a bathroom store/showroom with a similar toilet on display and have a good look at how it's assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

Try winding thick twine around the threaded fitting, to make a washer and fill the gap, this may buy you some time before the bigger job

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

If I were you I would 100% leave the toilet where it is, cut off the seat, and replace with a seat with top-down fitting (most these days come with them included).

Think about it going forward, do you really want the hassle of taking the toilet off and redoing fixtures/sealer ever time the seat gets a bit loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think i will just cut it off and replace eventually. It's only moving a little bit every now and again at the moment, so I might get a little bit longer out of it yet... toilet seats are expensive!

Advertisement