Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caring & working full time

Options
  • 23-10-2018 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am currently working full time and caring for two
    Elderly parents. One has limited mobility & the other is seriously ill

I was saving my annual leave to care for parent once they are discharged from hospital in a few weeks time. My employer who I have worked for for 20 years wants me to take leave now which I cannot do. They have also told me to put them in a home

They won’t give me 15 hours a week so cannot continue to work & apply for carers allowance. I am single and rely on my salary.

There is no reason why I cannot work from home but they are not supporting me here either

Do I have any rights at all trying to work full time & caring for parents at the same time? I would not dream putting them in a home as it would have a devastating impact on them. I moved in with them to care and I can work full time no problem as I check in at lunchtime as well. But work are throwing more & more obstacles in my way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

If you were in receipt of carers allowence you could not work full time just 15 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ITgirl, you are in a very difficult situation there and I am not sure what the answer is, unless your parents' combined pensions plus carers allowance would be sufficient to live on. But then you are gone from the work situation and would eventually find it difficult to get back in.

Your employers' reaction to your situation is very uncompassionate, but they are not obliged to consider your domestic arrangements in running their company.

Would there be any possibility of looking for part time / 15 hours somewhere else? Of course it depends on where you live, finding a job that is close to home if you live in a rural area is not going to be easy, even if possible.

You may well find that the parent in hospital will not get back to a situation where they can be left.

I can only suggest you enquire about carers to come in. Talk to your District Nurse/Doctor. Check with Social Services to see if there is anything that is not immediately obvious that you can do. The care team at the hospital may well want to talk to you, they could easily say that they cannot discharge your parent if there is no-one full time at home, there may be an angle there that you could follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rodger2019

Hi It Girl,
    Great reply from looksee and not sure if this is still relevant but the Carers leave act allows employees to leave their employment temporarily to provide full-time care for someone in need of full-time care and attention. You are entitled to take carer’s leave of at least 13 weeks up to a maximum of 104 weeks.

Although it is unpaid you could apply for credited prsi contributions while looking for possible remote working solutions or awaiting processing of a possible Carers benefit application.

You can work for up to 15 hours a week while you are on carer’s leave provided your income from employment or self-employment is less than a weekly income limit of €332.50. (After deductions, this is your take-home pay). More information is avialbe at citizensinformation.ie

For remote working opportunities came accross this agency recently but do not have experience of dealing with them: abodoo.com
    Linked In also a great resource as you are no doubt aware
    Hope things work out for you all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

rodger2019 wrote: »
    Hi It Girl,
    Great reply from looksee and not sure if this is still relevant but the Carers leave act allows employees to leave their employment temporarily to provide full-time care for someone in need of full-time care and attention. You are entitled to take carer’s leave of at least 13 weeks up to a maximum of 104 weeks.

Although it is unpaid you could apply for credited prsi contributions while looking for possible remote working solutions or awaiting processing of a possible Carers benefit application.

You can work for up to 15 hours a week while you are on carer’s leave provided your income from employment or self-employment is less than a weekly income limit of €332.50. (After deductions, this is your take-home pay). More information is avialbe at citizensinformation.ie

For remote working opportunities came accross this agency recently but do not have experience of dealing with them: abodoo.com
    Linked In also a great resource as you are no doubt aware
    Hope things work out for you all

Just want to make one correction here. The OP is entitled to look for Carers Leave and the employer is obliged (other than very specific circumstances) to allow it but the OP would actually be entitled to Carers Benefit for a maximum of 104 weeks at a rate of €322.50 per week as caring for 2. The OP will also be entitled to €1700 x 2 RCG next June if still caring.
    Carers Benefit is not means tested and the employee can take as little as 6 weeks Carers leave at a time or any amount of weeks up to 104.
    Employees job must be kept open for them to return to at the same terms and conditions.
    There is no free travel or other extras attached to Benefit.
    Employer doesn’t have to oblige the employee with the 15 hours per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm so very sorry your employers are being so unsupportive. Telling you to put your parents in a home is disgusting.

Looks like there is some great advice here - such a very difficult situation.

It may be helpful to also have a look on the Family Carers Ireland website. They may also be able to offer some advice in relation to your work situation.

https://familycarers.ie/

I really hope your Mum and Dad are doing ok. Good for you for taking care of them so well. Please look after yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement