Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yes as most of the data is posts containing 'sensitive information' of the user as defined in GDPR - political & religious views, opinions on sex, health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are PM's on boards.ie still sent via html, not through secure ssl? GDPR requires personal information to be encrypted. Surely there is sensitive information vulnerable.

I hope not! TescoMobile reps for example regularly ask for PMs giving personal information including mother's maiden name.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't understand why there's no policy readily in place for how to approach this.

Have boards.ie still not got a Data Controller in place?

Just to append to and agree with this. A number of forums make it very easily to identify people, I can think of a number of ones in which I could go now and easily identify the real identity of posters.

I'm not quite convinced that only immediate personal info needs to be addressed. If I can identity a poster and that poster does not want to be identified maybe they should be able to request boards.ie remove their entire account and posting history.

But it goes back to my first point, for such a site with so many users and data, there's no policy on this yet and you had to go seeking advice at this late stage.

Phbb have already had this discussion and they already have the facility for a user to delete all posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't understand why there's no policy readily in place for how to approach this.

They are seriously underprepared. Like looking for legal advice at the last minute!! A bit worrying really, with the amount of personal data they have that this was not on the tips of their tongues.

Has boards.ie looked into their requirements to having a Data Protection Officer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Would removal of your boards.ie name from all your posts satisfy this? This site will be ruined if everyone has the option of deleting all their posts. There are threads going on for years with a wealth of information from lots of contributors which would be rendered useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Would removal of your boards.ie name from all your posts satisfy this? This site will be ruined if everyone has the option of deleting all their posts. There are threads going on for years with a wealth of information from lots of contributors which would be rendered useless

They don't let you update old threads and actively close them as old. Which implies obsolete or out of date.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm temporarily closing this thread until we have an official announcement to make.

We're veering into legal advice and individual interpretation being presented as fact on the thread from non-legal professionals. We don't allow that any where else on the site so we won't be allowing it here either.

This is something we can only go by legal advice on, it's a legal matter. When we have an announcement, we can re-open the thread for it.

Thanks.

EDIT: apologies, I was a bit quick to close the thread when an on-thread warning should have been sufficient. Please be careful with regard to legal advice (even to Boards!) and posing personal interpretations as fact, it can be misleading to other users.

As I alluded to previously, this discussion has taken place on other forums, some of which already have functionality to remove a user and their posts. Some suggest removing the posts but keeping the usernames, others to remove all traces that a user existed. The other option is to wash the user ID, but that would still require someone to go through the posts attached to ensure there's nothing there to identify a person, no easy task.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops as the definition as to what exactly is Personal Data under GDPR is open to interpretation.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    They don't let you update old threads and actively close them as old. Which implies obsolete or out of date.

Im talking about threads like The great big lawnmower thread. This thread has being going for 10 years and is still active. It's full of reviews and opinions on a wide range of mowers. If the main contributors of advice decide to delete there posts the thread will be useless.

I helped a guy there recently through pm because he read I owned a similar mower to what he wanted. I have also got advice of lads on that thread where it was obvious they were contractors.

It would be a pity to see threads like that disappear or have posts disappear. A read of it and you would be well equipped to chose the right mower for the job imo. There is probably a lot more threads like that.

Another example is a faq thread. A poster could have written a faq and that could go if they have their posts deleted. It would be better for boards if you could just remove your name from the top.

Issue is that if the law requires it, and the users wish to remove themselves, there's nothing that can be done about it, no matter how useful their advice was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hurrache wrote: »
    Issue is that if the law requires it, and the users wish to remove themselves, there's nothing that can be done about it, no matter how useful their advice was.

Not necessarily. I think this is an important point to clarify. (note that this is a general clarification and not specific to Boards.)

An individual has the right to submit a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) requesting their data, changes to their data, deletion of their data etc, but an organisation can decline to comply, or partially comply, IF they have valid grounds to do so. These grounds have to be explained to the individual in the response, and the individual must also be advised that they can complain to their relevant Data Protection Authority.

The GDPR is going to be very interesting as it develops and matures, and as examples and practice solidify. It’s well worth reading the information from the Irish Data Protection Commission.

But we'e talking explicitly about boards.ie here, not generally. I can't think of too (any) many valid reasons for boards.ie to decline a request.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

I don't disagree with you. i just chose that example because its one i know. My example seems a bit trivial but its just i only post in a few forums so its what i know.

I know that someone from my area read my 800 odd posts they could probably identify me easily through posting about various milestones in my life so if i wanted to truly have my identity protected the lot would have to go.

Really I'm just speculating what would happen to Boards if there is lots of post deleted. Like when you google search something and a result is a discussion on the topic on boards. Not much point reading it with half the posts gone. Or catching up on a thread and there is replies to posts that are deleted. will be difficult to read. I can see why they don't want posts deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Dollylama and RandomString, I'm afraid you don't meet the posting requirements yet to be allowed post in the Feedback forum so I have had to remove your posts. You need to be a member for 3 months and have 100 posts to be allowed to post in Feedback.

Edit: ditto Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, not registered long enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,099 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's a focus here on deletion, but I'm more interested in Subject Access Requests tbh. My username is linked to my real name on here so if I were to issue a DSAR to boards I should receive back all of the data on me, all of the posts made by me, quoting me, referencing me. And that's the kicker. Because that should include all items of same in the reported posts forum, Admins forum, etc. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

testicles wrote: »

Apologies, I have been using the term DSAR to cover all forms of subject request, including the right to be forgotten. Perhaps that wasn't clear. Due to my position her eon Boards, I am well aware of what data is held on a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

....... wrote: »

I disagree. Private conversations between individuals are unlikely to be released to you simply because they use the site to communicate or talk about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

....... wrote: »

No it doesn't. If I send an email to a friend mentioning your name and address are Google required to reveal the contents of that email to you? I think the more relevant question will be wether it is how the communication will be considered in relation to the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I was wondering my about that. Nice to know that trump can’t disappear from the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I was wondering my about that. Nice to know that trump can’t disappear from the internet.

GDPR only applies to EU residents anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement