Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you'd like to say to them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Kate, its been a really strange few weeks!
    It would've/should've been the 18th anniversary of our 1st meeting last week :)
    I miss you, I miss us....
    All the time I was upset and heartsick I was being looked after, I was being minded and loved!
    And for that...I am lucky and I hope that I can repay her in some small way the love I have been shown.
    I won't lie that dichotomy of missing you, while being with someone I love and who loves me really is a headscratcher but I'll learn to deal with it, without feeling soul destroying guilt or as if I'm cheating on ye both....
    Eventually ;)

Then for a while I really did think that at least one of the writers for How I Met Your Mother is following me around!
    Because when the ''Mother's'' How I met Your Father story episode was on, and how her little story arc paralleled ours...
    The words she said to her friend's about love, about buying a lottery ticket and winning the jackpot and that surely there was no point in trying to find to love again because noone could be that lucky twice....
    To the moment where she walked outside to talk to the sky and ask ''permission'' to try and move on.....
    That whole episode left me heartbroken, it really did silly as that sounds :o

Then I remember something, Its not that I'm being followed or inspiring anyone to write ''my'' story.
    Its that other people have loved and lost too, and so many of the experiences are common to us all.
    I still find myself talking to you, and I always will....

Love ya more than chips Babe :*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Banie you deserve two great loves as one was taken from you too soon. Glad all is going so well for you with your 'new' lady as I remember your posts leading up to you two getting together. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Its been nearly 18 months now and its not getting any better, if anything its getting worse.
    The deep sense of loss and longing to speak with you just one last time is nearly too much to bear.

Cheesy I know but these words sum up exactly how I feel....

How long will I love you?
    As long as stars are above you,
    And longer if I can

How long will I need you?
    As long as the seasons need to
    Follow their plan

I miss you Mum, there will never be a day where I dont think of you, long to speak with you or just even see you one last time..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

CaraMay wrote: »
    Banie you deserve two great loves as one was taken from you too soon. Glad all is going so well for you with your 'new' lady as I remember your posts leading up to you two getting together. Enjoy.

Agree with this. Maybe you just bring out the big softie in me banie but your posts always bring a tear to my eye but a smile as well. Wishing you all the best always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Just over five weeks since you passed, in that time our first born, our beautiful honey moon daughter has had her sixth birthday and tonight her first tooth fell out. She's so excited and I'm devastated that you aren't here to see her and her sister grow up, to witness these events which would have meant so much to you.

You are our Angel and my soul mate;- I miss you so very much. The void in my heart will never fill. You where too young to leave us, just thirty three. You are missed by so many, you where loved by so many. The girls will always know you, they'll never forget their beautiful mother who's smile could light up a room and who's hugs could warm the coldest of hearts.

Michelle I love you and always will.

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Just over five weeks since you passed, in that time our first born, our beautiful honey moon daughter has had her sixth birthday and tonight her first tooth fell out. She's so excited and I'm devastated that you aren't here to see her and her sister grow up, to witness these events which would have meant so much to you.

You are our Angel and my soul mate;- I miss you so very much. The void in my heart will never fill. You where too young to leave us, just thirty three. You are missed by so many, you where loved by so many. The girls will always know you, they'll never forget their beautiful mother who's smile could light up a room and who's hugs could warm the coldest of hearts.

Michelle I love you and always will.

I couldn't read your post and not leave a reply of some sort.
    There's nothing I can say that will alleviate your loss or your pain and hearing people say "time heals" sounds empty and hollow when your whole world has collapsed......
    Take strength from your kids, they''ll keep you going on the days you want to shut out the world.
    Be mindful of yourself, and don't be afraid to lean on friends and family when the darkness,loneliness and fear wash over you.
    Take it from someone who knows, there is only so long you can stay "strong".
    Look after yourself.
    And I'm sorry for your loss, sorry that you ever had to feel the pain of losing your hoped for future.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I miss you Grandad. It's eight years today, and I just want to cry. I'll never forget that morning. I woke up to the phone ringing, and heard Mam answer it, and then the words just left her mouth "My dad's dead." We were so close, so damn close. I know you probably wouldn't approve of me now. I'm a woman, in college, single, not considering having a family. But I like to think that if the dementia hadn't hit you so hard, you'd have mellowed as you grew up. Mam says you wouldn't have, but you suffered for so long...thirty years. Nana's such a good person, there has to have been something about you that made her love you like she did.

I miss you. I miss our races, I miss giving you hugs, I miss going up to the home and seeing you. It took ages for me to realise that when you called me Mags it was a compliment, that you thought I was your sister.

I hate that your memory went, and you didn't know who I was. I hope you'd be proud of me. I hope you'd believe in me, even though I know you wouldn't have believed in what I believe in.

Thank you for holding on for the extra day. It meant that we could celebrate Nana's birthday without total sadness. I love you.

Funny how this week always seems bright and sunny....!
    I really feel the one time I can accurately predict the weather is always this week.

7yrs ago the worst experience of my life kicked off when you collapsed...
    I don't remember much of the time you spent in the hospital, its all a blur really
    Apat from a conversation with your Dad, and us chasing the Donation coordinater to be sure some good could come of losing you....
    Apart from hoping for a miracle!
    I remember that!
    The hope that every twitch brought, hope nearly killed me!

I do however remember the sun shining though whenever I walked outside the hospital.
    Basking in brightness whilst our son's and my world was collapsing and wondering?
    How?
    How could the sun still shine?
    How could the world keep turning?
    Did the universe not know our light was going out?
    How dare it be sunny....
    It should've been dark! DARK!
    Because I was facing blackness without you....!

Every year since the weather around now has been the same....
    Bright, sunny, beautiful inspiring smiles and making people happy....
    Like you..... :)

Now I don't begrudge the sun and the beautiful weather....
    I like to think its you, helping show me that even in my darkest moments...
    That there is always light, always hope and while you may not get your wished for outcome...
    You will find the strength to cope if you just hold on.
    Love and miss ya always Kate, xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Driving down the road yesterday, looking at the cherry blossom branches, so heavy with flowers. A man at a bustop waved, I waved back, then burst into tears.
    Sometimes the oddest combination of things make me want to just scream at the world, to grab people by the shoulders- how does life go on? How is the world still turning without you in it dad?
    It's nearly five years now and I still can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

banie01 wrote: »
    Kate, its been a really strange few weeks!
    It would've/should've been the 18th anniversary of our 1st meeting last week :)
    I miss you, I miss us....
    All the time I was upset and heartsick I was being looked after, I was being minded and loved!
    And for that...I am lucky and I hope that I can repay her in some small way the love I have been shown.
    I won't lie that dichotomy of missing you, while being with someone I love and who loves me really is a headscratcher but I'll learn to deal with it, without feeling soul destroying guilt or as if I'm cheating on ye both....
    Eventually ;)

Then for a while I really did think that at least one of the writers for How I Met Your Mother is following me around!
    Because when the ''Mother's'' How I met Your Father story episode was on, and how her little story arc paralleled ours...
    The words she said to her friend's about love, about buying a lottery ticket and winning the jackpot and that surely there was no point in trying to find to love again because noone could be that lucky twice....
    To the moment where she walked outside to talk to the sky and ask ''permission'' to try and move on.....
    That whole episode left me heartbroken, it really did silly as that sounds :o

Then I remember something, Its not that I'm being followed or inspiring anyone to write ''my'' story.
    Its that other people have loved and lost too, and so many of the experiences are common to us all.
    I still find myself talking to you, and I always will....

Love ya more than chips Babe :*

Yknow I watched that finale too, and it got to me too - when Barney picks up his baby daughter I felt like I was seeing how much you, Dad, fell in love with me when I was born, how much you gave up for me, how much you were the best Dad I could have. I love you, I miss you and I'm grateful for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 zozo339

To my nan -

dearest nee nee, I let you down, big time...not spending as much time with you towards the end as I should have. I was scared, and I wish I had cherished the time you had left. You were so ill, and I didn't appreciate you missed me and that you probably were hoping everyday for me to come around. I am so so sorry, and my heart aches with sadness that I didn't cherish you as much as I should have. I wish so badly I could go back and see you again, or just hear your voice. I've phoned your answerphone and you never recorded a message, so I can't hear your voice. I haven't been in your bungalow since I've been away from mum and dad as I just can't face it. It makes me sad, and I'll be greaving for such a long time now. It's been nearly 5 months now, and I feel you here sometimes, with me and my cousin. It's amazing, such a comforting feeling. The feeling I used to get when I was in your company. You knew you were my favourite nan, even though I had dads mum. You were the best, you were everything anyone could ever ask for and wish for in a nan. Whenever I tell anyone about you, I still call you Nee Nee. I hope you're there with granddad, and I bet you he's glad he doesn't have to wait any longer to be with you again. Thank you for being the best of the best, the most gorgeous, caring, loving, kind and warm hearted woman.

God bless. I love you. So much, it kills me. </3 My heart broke the day you passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 zozo339

One for you dad.

We haven't seen each other for nearly 3 months now, and it's tough. Suddenly having my heart ripped out of my chest, away from you and mum. For such bad reasons. We all went through such a hard time. You gave up everything for me while I was growing up, into this woman I am now. I miss you every day, so badly. You were my best friend, and I still think of you all the time. Even though you're still living, only 30 miles away, I feel as if someone has died. Why we had to treat each other so badly, and break each others hearts, I really don't know. I loved you so much, and still do.

And one day, maybe we'll find our way back to each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Please help your nephew x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I miss you so much that i cant even breathe naturally anymore. I have to remind myself to stop holding my breath, remind myself that i have no choice but to breathe. I am so alone without you sis. Nothing seems right everything is wrong. And that is the way it always will be. The pain consumes me and the guilt of being alive is too much. I wish i could have taken your place, i would have given my life for yours. I have known much loss but nothing has ce close to losing you. I miss you, i miss your smile, your fingers, your toes. I miss you, what you were and what you never had a chance to become. And i, i keep going in a world with no meaning. It's lonely grief.

I love you sweet girl, from your big sis xxx

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm sorry we weren't even in the country when you died.

four year ago this month

Im sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It will be 15 years this October since you left us, and I still ache with sadness. Nobody could ever replace that bond we had, and I hated when people told me that my children would fill the void. I love them with all of my heart, but the hole in my life is 'you' shaped, and nothing will ever fill it.

What brought me here today is the little moment of sadness myself and dad shared at the weekend, when out of nowhere, during a vary trivial conversation, he mentioned you in passing, as he often does, but this time he cried.

It is many years since I have seen dad cry over your loss, and as we were on a busy street, there was little I could do to comfort him, and the moment passed.

I miss seeing that beautiful relationship you had with dad, and the total devotion himself and mam had to you. I hope you are proud of the effort they have gone to to extract happiness from life without you.

Most of all, I hope you see yourself in my children, because I do, every day.

I love you and miss you my beautiful sister. x x x x x x

7 years later..

It's madness how much better I feel 7 years later. That must sound awful, but I really do think I've dealt with it all now. Which is better than how I would have been 4 years ago. I was an emotional wreck every anniversary, unable to cope, unable to stop crying etc.

None of that carry on was going to bring you back anyway. I was so young back then, only 20 years of age and you were 19. It's amazing how so much has changed since. I feel at peace about your death now. You died in such a horrific, traumatic way, I honestly never thought I'd get over it. I had serious OCD for ages after it with all things to do with fire. I've slowly dropped most of those habits. Still a good thing to be though, alert about fires.

I believe that C helped me to pull my head out of the dark cloud I was under. Yeah, he may have been harsh sometimes with me, asking why I was crying etc. He may be a serious macho bloke, and doesn't really understand women and emotions, but they way he thought kind of turned on a light in my head. What was I playing at? Moping, crying, sobbing, still grief-stricken 5 YEARS later! I really wasn't dealing with it well. I needed someone to help me. Not a counsellor cos they just nod their heads in agreement at everything you say. They were not helpful at all, they never understood TRULY what I was going through, they just repeat all the textbook phrases to make me THINK they knew what was going on in my head. They weren't for me at all. In fact, they made me more angry. But that just goes to show just how badly I was dealing with your death! Rationale didn't even enter my head. It was just what I believed - was gospel.

I still feel so guilty about not visiting your parents. There is NO excuse for it, they live straight across the road. But that's one thing I have to say I dont think I will ever do, step foot in your house again, the smell, the look, everything about it would probably bring it all back, and I've come so far now. I just stay away. I always chat to them on the road and they seem better too. I nearly died when I saw them converting your room into an office. I couldnt let go, they were so strong and brave - much more so than I, and they were your parents. Just goes to show that you do need to move on to cope.

I still miss you of course, goes without saying. But I feel a huge amount of peace now? I have no idea why? I think I just got on with life, got with C, still kept your memories in my head. I must have truly left the bereavement behind. Thankfully because I really feel like I lost out on so much of life because I couldn't accept you were gone. The years I wasted being upset and depressed are years I wont get back. But I can look to the future now :) Still keep your memory alive always.

Ps... I wish I could hear your thoughts on last weekend :) most hilarious day ever, and I know you were with me the entire time.

Love you always

R x

Hi,
    I know you've visited me since you left and you wanted me to know you've been around. I got your message. I always knew that if there was life after death you'd want to let me know somehow. Clever of you to contact me in that way considering I dismissed constant chatting on my shoulder as just my mind wandering.
    Weird, wasn't it....we didn't speak about it, we avoided it...discussed what was in the news right up until the end, and then the lead up to your death became exhausting. You weren't stupid, you knew this was it...and yet we didn't discuss it, death was a topic to be avoided even though it stood there by your bedside like an unwelcome guest grinning at us both.
    You know I love you, that's all that matters. I can't stand the silence, the finality of you going. I wasn't ready, I hope you were, but I wasn't. It doesn't feel real you not being around, you were too young to go in my eyes.
    I am managing, you taught me something to get me through this, death is what happened to you not to me. I am alive and I must live...you've proved to me that there is somewhere, something after death therefore I know I will meet you again and spend a lot longer with you than without you...so yes I am smiling again and living life as you would have wanted me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

You have passed on now and hopefully you are in a place where you are happy. I will never forget you. Love you always xx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

N, you left us 18 months ago now, i wish i'd seen something, any sort of sign, i wish that i'd made more of an effort to meet up each week.. I wish most of all that you were still here..

I miss you, i love you, keep us a seat,

G

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

My dear C.
    I heard Cece Peniston singing "Finally" a while ago on the tv.
    That song always reminds me of you.
    22 years next month -where did that time go?

I've been incredibly lucky in my life, to have had a few unique and special friends ,who've given me memories to cherish forever.

I'm honoured that you were one of them.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I think I'm still reeling in shock. Its been nearly two years now lately your constantly in my thoughts, my dreams. I don't think I'm grieving properly or or at least I think I'm just not willing to share my grief yet.

I met up with Liv recently of course she eventually brought your name into conversation. I just couldn't talk about it ironically I had always encouraged her to speak of her loss which I knew she had never dealt with it. I can't hide from her she knows me too well.

I miss you deeply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Your mother misses you. They all do. I did not know as well as others but you were so fiery so creative the apple of everyone's eye.

You had it all girl. You have it all wherever you are.

I gave your Mom a letter and a picture for you. I know you got it because it blew under her car when I was at your house and i know that was you :-)

You are amazing. I hope i have the confidence to be like that.

YOU REALLY BROUGHT OUT THE BEST IN PEOPLE AROUND YOU.

Your friends LOVE you.

Your brother is doing better HE WILL BE OK! INFACT HE WILL BE GREAT! Your parents love you.

See yaxxx HUGS! you Fiery chick! :-) xx

We tell people about you ..the world is still learning about you and from you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Cant believe it is two years. I will never forget that phone call, to say you were gone and all our lives changed forever.

I am sitting here looking at my beautiful, very much wanted son, whom we found out was coming on your day last year.

You would get great craic out of him, he is going to have a his first cousin in a few months there will be 6 months between them, pretty much like us. I hope and pray he has the same connection we have/had and he never has to go through this pain.

I miss you so much, and think about you everyday. I still dont understand and I dont think I ever will. You have missed so much.

Love man, will have a can of dutch gold for you tomorrow.

Look over my wee man

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

Nana
    i cant belive your not here anymore its only been 8 months and yet sometimes it feel like yesterday.my days are just not the same i felt i had a purpose in life caring for you and i know I prob gave out but it was never about caring for you it was more how the rest of your family left me to it once i moved in with your son. I was so lucky yo have you as my mother in law you gave me and my son a house to live in a place to call home there is not to many women in there seventys would do that . So now i really just want to say sorry sorry you died on your own i know i was in the bedroom beside you but i think i missed some sign when putting you to bed that night sorry i didnt hear you if you called out for me that night sorry if you were frighten. Im also sorry for enjoying life now to be able to go away on holidays oreven days out and not rush home fills me with guilt for enjoying them and i know you would want us to be doing theese things as we never done them while looking after you
    Our home is not the same without you your two grandchildren miss you so much your son is devestated that your not here

I never told you but i grew to love you while looking after i was lucky to have you as my mother on law but you always be nana to me
    Minds us all from heaven nana as i know you wil
    Xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

It has been two years now and I just wanted to say that I miss you and love you so much. I miss our little chats in the kitchen. Keep watching over us.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

I would love to be able to say:

To my sisinlaw who only has weeks left to live: "you told me you didn't want to die, you wanted to live because you are the happiest you have ever been and are sooooo happy in love -well you will get your wish, I can give you the time you so desperately want!"

To my brother who is watching the love of his life slip away and know he will never be the same again after this as their relationship is the definition of love in every sense:
    "her cancer is cured, your wish is granted, you get to enjoy your greatest love & now you can both enjoy the happy ever!"

If only we had the power of words to change things!!..
    Instead we have bereavement.. the extreme pain of loss and this is the part that is always really hard to accept!

Mam & all those in the spirit world "watch over our family, we all need your strength at the min (especially our heartbroken bro)" xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I spent my teenage years being such a pain in the ars3-desperately trying to be 'different'. I'd give my right arm to be part of a typical family set up.

I am pretty open with my son, regarding his dad. He's in heaven, he can't come back, he didn't want to go, he loved us but the angels said he had to go, ....etc. I can take most of his questions on the chin these days. I don't do dramatics,he doesn't remember him, he died when he was 15 months old.

However hearing my son have a quiet word with his dad begging him to come back, give him a baby sister, stay with me and mammy, was really sh1tty!

Brother Death- I hate you! I hate what you've done to my family! I hate you for hurting my son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I love and miss you both so much. You weren't perfect but you were brilliant, fun parents. I loved being yours. I hope you're together and happy wherever you are. Know that your children are happy and are busy making lovely families and grandchildren you would adore and be so proud of. Despite all the positives I have in my life, losing both parents is the loneliest feeling ever. x

Advertisement