Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your Deaf/hearing/signers!

• 09-10-2011 7:24pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, Just a little fun think i like to do with forums.

Basicly a who's who of the hearing and deafness forum :)

I'll start...

Name : Joe
    Hearing/Deaf - Hearing
    ISL skill - Moderate

I studdied deaf studies in Trinity for 2 years. enjoyed the ISL classes, Dispite taking a long time to get the hang of it. Would be interested in doing a few refresher classes

is Mise
    229052_170823992973206_100001368184019_362520_5749099_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi, I am at the moderate end of the hearing loss spectrum.

My hearing was ok up to a couple of years ago when an infection (probably) affected my hearing in my left ear to 'severe'. I wear a hearing aid in my left ear. My right ear is 'moderate' loss just due to age - I am 64 - I am putting off a second aid.

I also have tinnitus, though with a hearing aid it is noticeably less on that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Hearing/Deaf - Hearing
    ISL skill - Beginner

I currently volunteer for the IDS. Have picked up a good bit of sign there and know the sign alphabet but cannot construct proper sentences. I've been looking into doing a proper course in ISL but they are all so expensive. :(

If anyone could point me in the direction of a cheapish class I'd be very grateful.

Me!

254469_10150261390326318_782096317_8560987_5332010_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hearing/Deaf - Hearing, but not very well.
    ISL skill - Non existent

Bad ear infection when I was only a kid. A test in primary school before going into secondary showed some hearing loss. A further audiology (?) test revealed 30% hearing loss in my right ear. A hearing aid was got but I refused to wear it.

As the years went by, Tinnitus came to the fore and it looks like that's the way it will stay. I'm waiting on an ENT test to see how much damage has been done.

Ironically, I'm a Music Technology graduate. I am going to take a soccer coaching course for 9 months I hope. At least I'll have something to fall back on and I like the idea of coaching the Irish Deaf Ladies soccer team. That would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Name: Séan
    Hearing/Deaf - Hearing
    ISL skill - Starting a Fetec Level 3 (Beginner)

I always wanted to learn sign so I signed up for a Level Three which is due to start in the next week or two. I hope to then move on to level 4/5 etc...

Contessa the course is only €250 for 16 weeks which I think is very reasonable, I don't know what your budget is but if you need a dig out I can help? Anyway I'd love to meet any of you guys to help me learn sign along with my classes. I'm sure like a language you will pick it up quicker if you have somebody to practice with. Please PM me if any of you like the idea.

Slán!
    Séan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

Name: Gemma
    Hearing/Deaf - Hearing
    ISL skill - None but would love 2! The course above sounds great (must look into it)

Hearing loss due to the measles, ops over the years scarred ear canals. perforated ear drum/ aid in left ear but to be honest cos i can lip read i dont wear it. i should so i can stop saying what/pardon all the time! Tinnitus 2!

Thats me waving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Name: Séan
    Hearing/Deaf - Hearing
    ISL skill - Starting a Fetec Level 3 (Beginner)

I always wanted to learn sign so I signed up for a Level Three which is due to start in the next week or two. I hope to then move on to level 4/5 etc...

Contessa the course is only €250 for 16 weeks which I think is very reasonable, I don't know what your budget is but if you need a dig out I can help? Anyway I'd love to meet any of you guys to help me learn sign along with my classes. I'm sure like a language you will pick it up quicker if you have somebody to practice with. Please PM me if any of you like the idea.

Slán!
    Séan :)

It's €200 now, then €50 for the exam fee which is optional. The IDS are the only ones offering FETAC accreditation which is recognised in Ireland.

It's €200 now, then €50 for the exam fee which is optional. The IDS are the only ones offering FETAC accreditation which is recognised in Ireland.

I don't really think €50 is optional, I mean you're hardly going to do the course for 16 weeks and not take the Exam! Besides I'd want to move on to the Fetec 4 which I can't do without passing the exam first.

So what's your story? Know Sign, Learning sign??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Name: Luke
    Hearing/Deaf - Deaf but I've got hearing aids.
    ISL skill - Zero.

Just stumbled across this forum today so I said I'd post my bit and say hello.

As a child I had a terrible viral infection with menningitis and the like involved too. Parents called my name but I wasn't really responding, the took me for tests and lo and behold my hearing was poor. I'm not totally sure if the virus or inherent defects were there but I'm pretty much deaf - scientifically speaking I'm not sure what I am! So I've been wearing hearing aids since I was about 2 and a half.

I've had various sorts. Over the ear, in the ear (but still visible) but now I've got "in-ear" hearing aids. This in ear type are a blessing. They're difficult to spot, and you kind of have to be up close to notice them. They're among the best thing that has ever happened to me. Everyday I stop and think about them. My biggest fear is that they'll stop working but for now I'm deeply appreciative.

The hearing aids don't solve the hearing. I still have to ask "what?" "pardon" "excuse me" etc. It's been a pain in the rear sometimes and the Cork accent can be fierce difficult to comprehend at times!

Visits to the audiologists have displayed that my hearing won't get better and I've accepted those terms. I can still function somewhat without hearing aids albeit at a lower level. Sounds are "blurry" or too low. But I can hear my family very well. I'm not 100% deaf so I guess I've to be a little grateful for that.

I don't really think €50 is optional, I mean you're hardly going to do the course for 16 weeks and not take the Exam! Besides I'd want to move on to the Fetec 4 which I can't do without passing the exam first.

So what's your story? Know Sign, Learning sign??

Suppose. I'm actually a representative on the committee of the ISL Academy who run the classes. Any feedback about the classes is welcome.

My story;

Name : Caroline
    Hearing/Deaf - Deaf
    ISL skill - Fluent

Learned sign when I was very young mainly because both my parents were Deaf, but it wasn't until the age of 8 when I was identified as being Deaf. It is hereditary and I am now the fourth generation and proud of it :) I wear hearing aids, can hear and speak quite well but I see myself as being culturally Deaf.

I have a Diploma from Trinity in ISL Teaching and currently studying for a BA degree in Deaf Studies now.

Suppose. I'm actually a representative on the committee of the ISL Academy who run the classes. Any feedback about the classes is welcome.

My story;

Name : Caroline
    Hearing/Deaf - Deaf
    ISL skill - Fluent

Learned sign when I was very young mainly because both my parents were Deaf, but it wasn't until the age of 8 when I was identified as being Deaf. It is hereditary and I am now the fourth generation and proud of it :) I wear hearing aids, can hear and speak quite well but I see myself as being culturally Deaf.

I have a Diploma from Trinity in ISL Teaching and currently studying for a BA degree in Deaf Studies now.

I think I've met you Caroline in Nth Fredrick St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Not from Ireland, but still..here's my little submission:

Name: Jenneke
    Hearing/Deaf: Hearing
    ISL skills: None, but DSL or Dutch sign language is improving slowly.

I'm a first year student of sign language at college in Utrecht. When I saw people signing in public I was always intrigued and wanted to know what they were signing. A little while back I took the plunge and signed up for the course. Absolutely loving it :)

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    Not from Ireland, but still..here's my little submission:

Name: Jenneke
    Hearing/Deaf: Hearing
    ISL skills: None, but DSL or Dutch sign language is improving slowly.

I'm a first year student of sign language at college in Utrecht. When I saw people signing in public I was always intrigued and wanted to know what they were signing. A little while back I took the plunge and signed up for the course. Absolutely loving it :)

That exactly why I wanted to learn. One class down only 15 to go! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Name: Matt
    Hearing/ Deaf: Hard of Hearing. Moderate to severe in both ears, with the left being the worst.

Suffered from multiple massive infections as a child which left both ear drums in ribbons, but still had relatively OK hearing. Managed to bluff my way into the Army as a teenager by cheating on the hearing test. (Old style hearing test, could see the Audiologist through the booth window :D ) Was eventually caught out after 7 years service when my ear drums eventually lost all elasticity, and collapsed. I lived with the loss of hearing for a number of years before my partner got fed up and made me do something about it. I have been going to weekly meetings with hard of hearing people in similar situations as myself, and everything is now looking up. The meeting organizers lent me hearing equipment while i wait to be seen by the community Audiologist, and am eventually prescribed new hearing aids. This is where i'm currently at now. :)

Me:

DSCF0353.jpg

I think I've met you Caroline in Nth Fredrick St

In DeafHear? I do be about in them places! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

Name: Brenda
    Deaf/Hearing: Hard of Hearing
    ISL: Still learning (for 5 years so far)...currently studying to be an interpreter for the Deaf

I was born Hard of Hearing but my parents didnt find out till i was 6 because i could lipread so well and being the youngest of 5 children I didnt need to listen or talk as they were loud!!! Love the Deaf Culture especially the social aspect of things :)

I know you as well Donegal missus!!! :P Hope your feeling better x

In DeafHear? I do be about in them places! :pac:

Yep, The very pretty and confident young lady! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leesonl

I'm Lorraine. I work at Trinity College's Centre for Deaf Studies. I'm hearing and have been working with the Deaf community for over 20 years. I guess that means I am getting old ;-0

I have worked as an interpreter (I was the first in-house interpreter employed at the Irish Deaf Society), having been one of the first trained interpreters in Ireland. I have also worked as an interpreter trainer in Ireland and the UK (NUI Cork, Bristol University, and now Trinity). I've had the opportunity to deliver interpreter training sessions in many EU countries, Canada, the US and Australia. I had the great pleasure of working for the European Union of the Deaf, working closely with Helga Stevens (former Director and President of EUD) in seeking to improve the situation for sign language users at European level. We made quite some inroads regarding increasing the visibility of signed languages within the European Institutions...but of course, formal recognition of ISL is still some way off. These days, I do quite some teaching and research regarding aspects of language, language use, interpreting, Deaf people's access to medical and mental health care, and aspects of Deaf people's access to education.... and there are a few books on the horizon too. Watch out for a new volume called "Irish Sign Language" by Lorraine Leeson and John I Saeed in early 2012 (published by Edinburgh University Press). For more about some of the Centre's projects, see >snip<

Advertisement