Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fixings after sale agreed - whose responsibilities?

• 17-06-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We went sale agreed on an apartment in Dublin city centre. We then got a surveyor to walk through the apartment. The lad told us the pump needs to get replaced as the water pressure is very low in the apartment. On top of that we also noticed the washing machine is not working.

Any idea if we could still get the vendor to fix these issues after going sale agreed as these are not something that can be easily spotted in a general viewing? It would probably cost about 1.5k to get them replaced - not a huge amount of money but every penny counts :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You can ask but the vendor isn’t obliged to fix the issues.

Up to you to then decide whether to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I wouldn't say there's a hope. You can always ask though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I doubt it. It's not going to cost €1500 to fix a water pump and washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are you renting or buying?

Landlord will repair these things but not something selling a property. Washing machine isn't usually included in the sale of a house unless it's on its last legs.

Your surveyor is there to point out things in the house so you know what you are buying. This does not mean that the seller will pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Won't cost €1,500 to replace a pump and there's a good chance the washing machine isn't working because the water pressure is too low.

These seem like relatively minor issues tbh. If you don't want the washing machine then just insist that the vendor takes it with them and go buy your own. That's what usually happens.

Pump replacement would be standard wear and tear. And tbh if you get it done yourself then you can know what repair was done. If you try to force them to fix it, they might get a mate to jam some second hand yoke in that will rattle the filling out of your teeth and last all of six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

seamus wrote: »
    If you try to force them to fix it, they might get a mate to jam some second hand yoke in that will rattle the filling out of your teeth and last all of six months.

Description beneath username checks out.
    Continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Insist that any crap you don't want is cleared out before you close the sale... (including the washing machine if it doesn't work...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3 the_acc

seamus wrote: »
    Won't cost €1,500 to replace a pump and there's a good chance the washing machine isn't working because the water pressure is too low.

These seem like relatively minor issues tbh. If you don't want the washing machine then just insist that the vendor takes it with them and go buy your own. That's what usually happens.

Pump replacement would be standard wear and tear. And tbh if you get it done yourself then you can know what repair was done. If you try to force them to fix it, they might get a mate to jam some second hand yoke in that will rattle the filling out of your teeth and last all of six months.

I was told by a builder that a new pump would cost around 500 euro. Then 500-700 for a washing machine plus paying an electrician to install everything. That's where I got the 1,500 ballpark figure from.

Sure might as well learn how to replace the pump myself if it's not too complicated. It saves money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 the_acc

Markcheese wrote: »
    Insist that any crap you don't want is cleared out before you close the sale... (including the washing machine if it doesn't work...)

I really should've seen this before viewings - the agent mentioned at the viewing that the vendor wanted to leave everything in. Is it something that I can request after sale agreed?

How much would it otherwise cost to remove 2 double beds, 2 couches and 4 bed stands from an apartment in Dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

500-700 for a washing machine will buy a super premium machine. I have an absolutely top-end Bosch from late 2017 and it cost about that on sale; you can get a Fisher+Paykel for under 700 even now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

the_acc wrote: »
    I really should've seen this before viewings - the agent mentioned at the viewing that the vendor wanted to leave everything in. Is it something that I can request after sale agreed?

How much would it otherwise cost to remove 2 double beds, 2 couches and 4 bed stands from an apartment in Dublin?

You can throw them up on freecycle or gumtree and people will be only too delighted to collect them, won't cost you a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You can throw them up on freecycle or gumtree and people will be only too delighted to collect them, won't cost you a penny.

or local charity shop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If they are serviceable a charity shop might take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was told by a builder that a new pump would cost around 500 euro. Then 500-700 for a washing machine plus paying an electrician to install everything. That's where I got the 1,500 ballpark figure from.

Sure might as well learn how to replace the pump myself if it's not too complicated. It saves money in the long run.

Neither of those jobs needs an electrician, one needs a plumber the other needs an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

salmocab wrote: »

Neither of those jobs needs an electrician, one needs a plumber the other needs an adult.

I actually laughed out loud at this!!! OP joke aside the poster is right, a washing machine can be fitted by an adult. They are fairly simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,235 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Washing machines and white goods are not generally included in the sale they also only cost about 300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

+1 for free trade or 'free' section on adverts, we were left with a house of furniture after moving in, had a bit of a disagreement with the vendor over it... 'We are buying your house take your rubbish furniture out of it please!' in the end we docked €300 from the sale to cover removal and disposal. But sneaky me threw it all up on free trade or for very low price prob made €100 odd euro out of it on top of the 200! :D

Mattress's are a different story obviously no body wants them and they can be difficult to get rid of ..not all waste recycling centers take them.

I would also ask them about the pump... dont ask dont get... our surveyor noticed a minor leak with the water tank and we asked them to fix it which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Did the surveyor check that the pump was actually switched On.
    Its prudent to switch off the power to the pump if a property is not in use for a period of time.
    As someone else said, washing machine is probably taking water from the pump, so inadequate pressure may prevent it from working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So confused. White goods aren't fixtures and fittings but I guess integrated units could be considered. I certainly wouldn't expect a surveyor to state whether a washing machine is working or not.
    If the pump wasn't working there would be no water coming out not just low pressure.
    Lots of apartment pumps are intentionally low power due to noise and not a fault. If you do upgrade the pump you will and your neighbours will know all about it.
    If I was selling I wouldn't entertain any reduction.
    Replacing a pump is pretty easy and not much different from connecting a washing machine and wiring a plug.

Advertisement