Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

• 11-03-2020 8:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

It's all doom and gloom on the main thread but what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Top of my head...

- More employers will start working-from-home policies (where possible) and there will much less stigma around it in the future

- People will get to spend more time with their families and local communities this Spring

- Due to home working, there will be less traffic congestion on the roads and less people commuting for excessive hours every week

- People will develop better hygiene practices

- People will eat healthier, drink less and sleep more in order to build up their immune system

- The reduction in economic activity will have a positive effect on the environment and help countries meet their climate change targets

- Less pointless consumerism

- Food retailers will make increased profits due to stockpiling (much of which will probably get binned in the long run)

- The number of people that contract flu this year will diminish due to better hygiene standards at all levels

- We will finally fully acknowledge how inadequate our health service is and perhaps do something meaningful about it

- We may even get a national government who will focus on fixing major problems in Ireland rather than votes in the next election7

- People will eat more locally produced food

-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Top of my head...

- More employers will start working-from-home policies and there will much less stigma around it in the future

- People will get to spend more time with their families and local communities this Spring

- There will be less traffic congestion on the roads and less people commuting for excessive hours every week

- People will develop better hygiene practices

- People will eat healthier, drink less and sleep more in order to build up their immune system

- The reduction in economic activity will have a positive effect on the environment and help countries meet their climate change targets

- Less pointless consumerism

- Food retailers will make increased profits due to stockpiling (much of which will probably get binned in the long run)

- The number of people that contract flu this year will diminish due to better hygiene standards at all levels

- We will finally fully acknowledge how inadequate our health service is and perhaps do something meaningful about it

- We may even get a national government who will focus on fixing major problems Ireland rather than votes in the next election

If I comment on some of your points I will turn this into a politics thread! Is that Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You list these things as though they are facts.

Probably everything will go back to normal afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It might make us all slow down a little and realise the economy isnt everything

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My post count on boards is high :p

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wesser wrote: »
    Probably everything will go back to normal afterwards.
    Ideally, however that Spanish Flu malarky did make an unpleasent 2nd visit.

There are few benefits, but the only meaningful longer-term one may be establishing worker's protections (sick pay, zero-hour giggers, self-employed, freelancers, and even regular civil servants).
    That in turn might herald the future coming of 'UBI' (automation is a huge factor in this also), for many decades to come.

In the immediate term, healthcare workers will be recognised for their sterling work: often above and beyond the call of duty.
    Many folks will also pause and ask themselves 'what's it all about', this little dance called life.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

There'll be no greedy pilot unions threatening strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually think people will drink more at home and possibly eat junk food.
    Subscriptions and online viewing will increase.
    Retailers will push online sales and offer free delivery and we may see an increase in this.
    Couples who are working from home possibly will have relations and we might see a few extra babies in nine months.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

If god exists, it means he made this virus.

In that case he can go **** himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

No he asked for positives, this would be another negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Less reliance on China for manufacturing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I just knew this was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

My stock in Proctor & Gamble won't tank.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can picture some mighty piss ups in fairness. It's how we do things in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

After binging on Netflix over their confinement period, many people will realize that it is ****e and cancel their subscriptions once the coronavirus has passed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hopefully or at least more "local" manufacturing of medical equipment and drugs. And hopefully world attention and pointing of fingers at cultures in Asia(not just China) that insist on having open air food markets with wild animals in appalling conditions. Damn near every flu and "bug" that springs up on the regular originates there because of that set up. Such practices are literally virus making factories. I can understand it in some parts of Africa where people are dirt poor and bush meat is a survival thing, but east Asia has few excuses on that score. It's generally the older generations and more local primitive cultures around food, but it needs to stop and in China at least the young are asking WTF about these retarded practices.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Well according to the Telegraph in the UK, some old people will die.

KLvNA3V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Wheety wrote: »

KLvNA3V.jpg

Not a positive. And evidence of any of the total lack of respect for the elderly and what they've done, economic benefit or otherwise.

That's along the same lines as saying the positive of a mass shooting is that a company will reap money from selling the ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KLvNA3V.jpg

Half the telegraph readership down the swanee then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

KLvNA3V.jpg

Its awful but the aging population has become a huge issue, people kept alive in nursing homes with no quality of life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Less reliance on facebook for news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Don't have to go to a St Patricks day parade with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Not a positive. And evidence of any of the total lack of respect for the elderly and what they've done, economic benefit or otherwise.

That's along the same lines as saying the positive of a mass shooting is that a company will reap money from selling the ammunition.

What are you telling me for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

lawred2 wrote: »
    I just knew this was coming

And without an ironing warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The Premier League may be suspended before Liverpool mathematically win the league

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What are you telling me for?

I'm not. Just referring to the Telegraph article :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The move to online led learning and support services across 2nd and 3rd level will be a huge payoff IMO.

The Irish student has generally quite a poor online support and learning experience.
    Be it via Moodle or any of its clones it just really is drab and unengaging.

Hopefully the move to off-site delivery will push an increase in the quality.

Labs, seminars and tutorials are a vital part of learning but a move to online delivery for some lectures could also pay a big "green" dividend in reducing travel.

Tele-medicine, it's been knocking around for years without ever making big penetration for anything other than repeat prescriptions in the majority of the population.

Smartphones can now take pulse, many have Sp02 monitoring available in their camera, the price of BP monitors and good quality thermometers have dropped to a point where many homes have them available.

A very good set of the basic obs can now confidently be taken at home and have relevance to a remote Doctor for diagnostic and triage purposes.

Potentially a huge volume of our routine GP interactions could be moved online with a good degree of confidence.

Similarly a fair proportion of routine OPD department consultant appointments could feasibly now be managed via tele-medicine too.

I'll use myself as an example.
    I see an Endocrinologist every 6 months. They review my BG numbers.
    Numbers that are saved to an app on my phone, that has the option to share with my Dr.
    No Doctor or clinic I'm aware of in Ireland yet uses the option but if they did, they could review remotely.

Now there is a need for a blood test in the week before I attend clinic, but phlebotomy services generally have you in and out very quickly.

Generally it's a 5/10 minute chat with the clinician, but due to the way the clinic is set up.
    I could be 3hrs in the hospital.

That time has cost, for the hospital even in just providing waiting areas and for me in potential lost income or study time.

Imagine a clinic that uses the access my app provides?
    They have any and all BG readings and insulin doses without having to read the diary or scroll my phone!
    I attend the phlebotomy clinic get the blood draw as usual.
    Then rather than attend the clinic the following week.
    I get emailed the standard questionnaire that the clinician usually fills in by hand!
    I answer the questions via form, update my meds.
    Can even provide BP and weight thanks to very cheap and accurate home tech.

The clinician reviews, forwards me on his update or calls me in for face to face review.

This Corona epidemic could be the trigger to so much change!

Change that has far better student and patient outcomes.
    Change that has secondary environmental benefits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Less bats used to make soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭NSAman

So what you are saying is that God created this to turn people back to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Biggest (and realistically only) positive of all this thus far is the drop in oil prices.

Advertisement