Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

YFlyer wrote: »
    Tell me more.

You two need a face off (I'll get me coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

froog wrote: »

i don't believe they imposed the ultra harsh quarantine procedures everywhere in the country did they?

Not Wuhan style, but still quite a few actual changes in daily life.

If you’re interested I mentioned here a first hand recollection of the situation I got from people living in China (very far from Wuhan and with very few cases in there city): [url] https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112763938&postcount=766[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

regedit wrote: »
    In my view, we are far from peaking. That will happen in 1-2 weeks

That is a very optimisitc hope, a peak in 2 weeks time would have total cases of only 200. That seems unlikely at this stage.A peak in 5/6 weeks seems more likely, without a dramatic level of Gov intervention into day to day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You should find a new hobby too Major. because frankly your current pastime is tragic.

Looks like he'll have to

• Registered Users Posts: 20,479 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't know I still think we'll see a spike in numbers here at some point, it might not be massive but it seems inevitable

I doubt if anyone will disagree with that.

• Advertisement

• Wibbs wrote: »
    Well it is and it isn't. The body excretes pretty much everything once it goes above a certain level. It doesn't mean the body doesn't need it on the way through. Take water. You've had tea/coffee/other liquids today and then you went to the loo and excreted mostly water. It doesn't mean water is kinda pointless. Now if you were dropped in a desert your body would slow excretion of water right down, because it needs it much more. Given it's been shown infections deplete vitamin C, one could argue that your body requires more than it usually does to help fight same. Plus more than one study(like I linked earlier) has shown a positive effect with vitamin C in cases of pneumonia and other respiratory illness and many studies have shown it reduces both the duration and severity of the common cold(s). It can't hurt anyway.

The main issue being most vitamin C supplements are chock full of other crap like sweeteners, colourings and flavourings. Best bet is to source the stuff in pharmaceutical grade powder form. TBH I only have some knowledge of this because of reading some studies when the swine flu was about. Which I caught and thought feck it and added the C into the mix.

Ok. But if you were on a vitamin c tablet before your infection. You would just excrete the excess. I could see the benefit of giving vitamin c during an infection (albeit small). But in reality vitamin c supplements are only needed if deficient.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=vitamin+c+supplementation+heath+benifit&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DUTdY8VO1oycJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Simdruid wrote: »
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/

They have a callsave number, another number and live webchat etc there too. Hope they are better soon.

Won't be open until 8 in the morning. They should hire more staff/overtime and keep it running 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DrumSteve wrote: »
    *Extremely Michael Bolton voice*

Please, for the loooove of God, stop saying Eire!

If your gonna use it, it's spelt re! Eire means burden...

Eire?

Is he a pre War British Movietone newsreel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

tillyfilly wrote: »
    these are not my words
    'why are you being hysterical'

My apologies, I jumped to conclusions based upon you being critical on putting restrictions on flights coming from Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Well they probably won’t get a new hobby but they should. This is done and dusted. No one can argue with the Eire numbers.

The newly signed up 'funny' poster. Eire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

Won't be open until 8 in the morning. They should hire more staff/overtime and keep it running 24/7

Oh I didn't see that it stops at 5 on weekends. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

My apologies, I jumped to conclusions based upon you being critical on putting restrictions on flights coming from Italy.

not my words either
    'being critical on putting restrictions on flights coming from Italy'

• US2 wrote: »
    I see you can't read too.

Cmere. Where are those three cases in Drogheda? Should I wait until until 2 weeks to pull you up on that? Or were we pretending that didn't happen? Genuinely if this true. You should contact the media. Because if they were hiding this. It's scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

owlbethere wrote: »
    What aldi

Aldi Süd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

the china story is really quite remarkable. almost no new cases outside of hubei through the entire country of population 1.3 billion.

i don't believe they imposed the ultra harsh quarantine procedures everywhere in the country did they?

so either the figures are complete rubbish, or this is a virus that explodes over a few weeks and burns itself out somehow.

hoping it's the latter.

Seems to have a 12 week(ish) rise and then subsequent fall.

It’s a long slog, but it plateaus.
    And our warm summer might hurry up that slow down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

owlbethere wrote: »
    What aldi

The one with the big sign outside you know there is a big carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Phibsboro wrote: »
    That is a very optimisitc hope, a peak in 2 weeks time would have total cases of only 200. That seems unlikely at this stage.A peak in 5/6 weeks seems more likely, without a dramatic level of Gov intervention into day to day life.

I don't think we will follow a certain pattern. We may get a few only one day but experience an explosion in the next days. Both Italy and China (and Germany or France) started with only a few cases here and there and the numbers have increased significantly as the days passed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Simdruid wrote: »
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/

They have a callsave number, another number and live webchat etc there too. Hope they are better soon.
    Have you tried Care doc or the equivalent for your area?

If you can't get hold of them, from hse site

If you have been to one of the places listed above and you are not feeling well, check if you have symptoms of coronavirus. These are a cough, shortness of breath, breathing difficulties, fever (high temperature).

If you do have symptoms of coronavirus, phone your GP or local emergency department (ED) without delay.

Do not go to your GP or ED. Phone them first. Tell them about your symptoms. Give them the details about your situation. Avoid contact with other people by self-isolating. If you do not have a GP, phone 112 or 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Tell me again why you think the figures for Ireland makes us unique.

If you couldnt understand it the first time theres no point repeating myself

not my words either
    'being critical on putting restrictions on flights coming from Italy'

Not your words, though I didn't claim them to be, but it was clearly your position, which is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

tina1040 wrote: »
    Is there a phone number to call if someone in the house has sore throat, cough, high temperature? I can't find a number on hse.ie. gp closed and message not helpful.

Contact your local emergency department by telephone if you can't get in contact with a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

the china story is really quite remarkable. almost no new cases outside of hubei through the entire country of population 1.3 billion.

so either the figures are complete rubbish, or this is a virus that explodes over a few weeks and burns itself out somehow.

hoping it's the latter.

Flu viruses can often work like this : rapid growth, a peak but then a fall off in numbers again (there can be reasons why in particular strains that once a peak is reached, the virus itself finds it difficult to infect any further new patients....the tide starts to turn against it so to speak).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Not your words, though I didn't claim them to be, but it was clearly your position, which is more important.

if you are going to quote me,at least quote a specific post , it's that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,479 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

US2 wrote: »
    If you couldnt understand it the first time theres no point repeating myself

Can you understand that a country with only one case shoots down your whole theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Strazdas wrote: »
    Flu viruses can often work like this : rapid growth, a peak but then a fall off in numbers again (there can be reasons why in particular strains that once a peak is reached, the virus itself finds it difficult to infect any further new patients....the tide starts to turn against it so to speak).

We all hope this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Cmere. Where are those three cases in Drogheda? Should I wait until until 2 weeks to pull you up on that? Or were we pretending that didn't happen? Genuinely if this true. You should contact the media. Because if they were hiding this. It's scandalous.

There still in the hospital in Drogheda. I was just sharing the info, your the one who seems so worried maybe you tell the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I wonder if testing loses the purpose if the umbers increase significantly or do you move to the phase whereby you manage the patients symptomatically...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This actually makes me more concerned if anything.

If there really are only 21 cases here - great! Terrific! A minor miracle seeing that there was a community related infection, the origin of which is unknown, and the infected individual was in close contact with hundreds of people for a full week.

One hopes for the best, but knowledge is key.

No chance we have 21, in cork alone there’s now two people, not connected at all to Italy or eachother with cases with no idea where it came from so there is others sadly

if you are going to quote me,at least quote a specific post , it's that easy

Oh jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Confirmed Cases
    27th Jan China 4.4k 27th Feb Outside China 4.3k
    28th Jan China 6k 28th Feb Outside China 5.3k
    29th Jan China 7.7k 29th Feb Outside China 6.8k
    30th Jan China 9.7k 1st March Outside China 8.5k
    31st Jan China 11.2k 2nd March Outside China 10.3k
    1st Feb China 14.3k 3rd March Outside China 12.7k
    2nd Feb China 17.2k 4th March Outside China 14.9k
    3rd Feb China 19.7k 5th March Outside China 17.5k
    4th Feb China 23.7k 6th March Outside China 21.2k
    5th Feb China 27.4k 7th March Outside China 25.2k
    6th Feb China 30.6k 8th March Outside China 28.9k (so far)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement