Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

d15ude wrote: »
    Says here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

The department is advising against all non-essential travel overseas.

So it's allowed without any reason.

I see.

The Gov website you linked gives conflicting information to this other Gov website, that says: "there is a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 5 kilometres from your home, except for the reasons listed above".
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#transport-and-travel

So is your understanding that tomorrow one without those three essential reasons can not drive (say) from Dublin to Galway, but can take a flight to Berlin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

otnomart wrote: »
    So is your understanding that tomorrow one without those three essential reasons can not drive (say) from Dublin to Galway, but can take a flight to Berlin ?

You are right, it's conflicting!
    But if your really want to fly just have my link ready on your phone or print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

d15ude wrote: »
    You are right, it's conflicting!
    But if your really want to fly just have my link ready on your phone or print it.
    Thanks.
    I am not in Ireland and the rules in Country I am in are the following: without essential reasons, one is not allowed to drive to another city in the same Country and likewise it also not allowed to drive/train/fly abroad (even if there are flights still going).

I find bizarre that in Ireland tomorrow one without those three essential reasons can not drive to another town in Ireland, but can take a flight abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I have two questions, first is travel .
    Does anyone think travel to France in July will go ahead?
    .second, I needed to order a new passport. I have been on back order since March( yes I know they say to order 6 months in advance)
    What do you do if you need a passport

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe
    Wait

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Maybe
    Wait

Yeah, doing that. Still need passports, knowing my luck will get a green light the week before.

At least you're just wanting to go on a holiday.
    A user yesterday is sitting on an island somewhere and their passport have expired.

At least you're just wanting to go on a holiday.
    A user yesterday is sitting on an island somewhere and their passport have expired.

Ouch. I wonder how that works..

Ouch. I wonder how that works..

LOcal Irish embassy to that country will sort out an emergency one trip passport to get you home , they always have.
    You can still apply online for passport renewal. It won’t be processed immediately as there is no immediate need for one and passport staff are skeleton right now.
    Business will resume soon I’d say .

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Currently in the same situation here. Hoping the consulate in a neighbouring country will be able to assist me.

• Advertisement

LOcal Irish embassy to that country will sort out an emergency one trip passport to get you home , they always have.
    You can still apply online for passport renewal. It won’t be processed immediately as there is no immediate need for one and passport staff are skeleton right now.
    Business will resume soon I’d say .

I wonder will you be allowed to travel on the expired ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Essential Services: Woodies, McDonalds, Supermacs.

Non-Essential: NDLS, Passport Office, NCT.

Laughable stuff.

I can see restriction loosening for people that need to go home to Ireland.
    For people going on holidays, I don't see that in any way as essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I can see restriction loosening for people that need to go home to Ireland.
    For people going on holidays, I don't see that in any way as essential.

Maybe Harris & co should cancel passports for the population. That will stop anyone having any notions of travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

.second, I needed to order a new passport. I have been on back order since March( yes I know they say to order 6 months in advance)

Camt see travel going ahead. Airlines are cancelling flights all over the place. Wouldnt worry about it this year.

Maybe Harris & co should cancel passports for the population. That will stop anyone having any notions of travelling.
    Hell no, but applications in Ireland should be deferred in regards to applications from abroad.

Besides, when restrictions lift everyone should stay in Ireland and holiday.
    Spend your money locally people, help Ireland back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Camt see travel going ahead. Airlines are cancelling flights all over the place. Wouldnt worry about it this year.

Most tourist destinations in Europe are planning to be open in July. Ryanair getting back in the air from July too (40%, as opposed to now, 1%).

"holiday in Ireland, spend locally"

Good one, hotels have been a rip off for years and there's not a chance people are going to help them now. No sympathy whatsoever.

First chance I get, I'm out of here! And many others no doubt.

Ok, I suppose the inclination to help your nation is less strong in some.

Paying tax every day not enough? You want me to throw money at greedy hoteliers too? Poor lads have no tourists to rip off these days so you suggest the Irish bail them out?

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Most tourist destinations in Europe are planning to be open in July. Ryanair getting back in the air from July too (40%, as opposed to now, 1%).

Ryanair are cancelling flights by the dozens in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I guess Ireland's loss is Benidorms gain. Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Order the new credit card style passport and see if that comes quicker
    It's good for france
    France is quarantining uk citizens for as long as the British quarantine on their citizens lasts
    I'd imagine the same will be done on the Irish
    So if we still have quarantine in july,you won't be going to France

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ryanair are cancelling flights by the dozens in july.

Of course they're cancelling flights still. They aren't running a 100% schedule but they are operating 40% schedule in July. A route that has multiple flights per day for example will run just the 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Order the new credit card style passport and see if that comes quicker
    It's good for france
    France is quarantining uk citizens for as long as the British quarantine on their citizens lasts
    I'd imagine the same will be done on the Irish
    So if we still have quarantine in july,you won't be going to France
    You can't have a credit card passport without a full one.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Nope, need the full one. Just a pain, cought both ways.

I'm it really up for travel either with all this up in the air

Nope, need the full one. Just a pain, cought both ways.

I'm it really up for travel either with all this up in the air

I do know some lads mind you, flights out of Ireland were cancelled, but ones coming home were not, so didn't get full refund.. bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Can you not order one if your existing is still valid but out in 6 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

when restrictions lift everyone should stay in Ireland and holiday.
    Spend your money locally people, help Ireland back on track!

Would you ever stop

Irish hotels have been pricing themselves out of the market for years and now it'll come back to bite them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There isn't going to be mandatory quarantine for citizens travelling to France from Ireland as far as I know. If you want to avoid the 2 week quarantine coming home just fly back into belfast. Thats what I'm looking at doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement