Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs staying open

• 19-03-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard the news report of some pubs staying open apparently the Garda are waiting for the extra powers under the new legislation to make them close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mariaalice wrote: »
    Anyone heard the news report of some pubs staying open apparently the Garda are waiting for the extra powers under the new legislation to make them close.

TD from Limerick on radio earlier on about all the pubs open in Rathkelae, well i for one am shocked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they'll make a killing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Was there an order made that pubs must close? I thought the only rule was less than 100 people indoors and then pubs decided to close themselves. I didn't think the government actually ordered the closure of pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

TD from Limerick on radio earlier on about all the pubs open in Rathkelae, well i for one am shocked :rolleyes:

I can’t say what I want in fear of being banned, but I hope they stay open - if ever a town deserves and needs to keep the pubs open it’s Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I can’t say what I want in fear of being banned, but I hope they stay open - if ever a town deserves and needs to keep the pubs open it’s Rathkeale.

Thin out the herd ? Good plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They had their own mini Cheltenham as well.
    :(
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/witness-appeal-after-horse-injured-in-limerick-collision-involving-illegal-sulky-race-988883.html

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Was there an order made that pubs must close? I thought the only rule was less than 100 people indoors and then pubs decided to close themselves. I didn't think the government actually ordered the closure of pubs

They haven’t ordered anything other than for schools to close.

They have said outside gatherings of >500 and indoor gatherings of >100 should not go ahead. They have also asked for the pubs to close as they couldn’t go the distancing recommendations.

Everything done so far has been voluntary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

It’s astounding they do what they like but if we mention it we are the bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It might be our last hope. The quicker this virus lands in Rathkeale the better for not even this rabid disease could last in the bodies of the local mutants.

The front doors are locked but the punters come in the back door, it's time to stop asking nicely and enforce pub closures altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Had the misfortune to be diverted through Rathkeale once. Thought I had crossed the border with the amount of yellow plates in the town.
    It'd be a brave Garda trying to enforce social distancing around there. And to be honest, it's not worth it.

The front doors are locked but the punters come in the back door, it's time to stop asking nicely and enforce pub closures altogether.

Legally theres nothng can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Illegally however they should bust in and crack a few skulls

Rubbish the Guards closed a pub the other night.

We all know any discussion on the realities of this mob carries a ban here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Do pubs not have to get their licence renewed every year?

Umm like bring in a sodding law?

Other pubs shut as they didn't want to be seen as "that pub" that made money at a time like this. I doubt this place could be ashamed of anything.

they'll make a killing

While helping with killing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Underlying health problems/check
    Overweight/check
    Poor personal hygiene/check
    Living in close proximity/check

Don't give a **** about anyone else/ check

Who cares

Rubbish the Guards closed a pub the other night.

We all know any discussion on the realities of this mob carries a ban here.
    #
    Its not rubbish, legally they cant just close them on a whim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I can't see a certain word mentioned on this thread yet everyone knows who we are talking about, why do we treat them with kid gloves?The same rules apply to EVERY citizen of this country.

• Advertisement

Umm like bring in a sodding law?

Other pubs shut as they didn't want to be seen as "that pub" that made money at a time like this. I doubt this place could be ashamed of anything.

No need to be smarmy, im only pointing out a fact and yes i presume the new laws being passedf tongight will allow the guards to take action and i hope they do so tmorrow

Gaurds in waterford going objecting to any pub caught opening during the pandemic

#
    Its not rubbish, legally they cant just close them on a whim

Ah will you got off the stage.

Underlying health problems/check
    Overweight/check
    Poor personal hygiene/check
    Living in close proximity/check

Don't give a **** about anyone else/ check

Who cares

They're not hermetically sealed off from everyone else, they go to shops and garages, touch the same surfaces etc.

Theres more than one disease ravaging this country ......

They're not hermetically sealed off from everyone else, they go to shops and garages, touch the same surfaces etc.

Thankfully they don't mix too much and are easy to spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No excuse for this treasonous behaviour.

I think it's a betrayal to the country whilst nurses, doctors and the general population go to battle. Even just one cnut that gets it through a pub will put serious pressure on an already over burdened system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why can't the government close all pubs by law, this would allow them to get insurance payments. Fooked up country when the insurance companies have the government in their pocket.
    Padraig Cribben, the VFI's chief executive, said the current situation surely must constitute the very definition of business interruption.

"Yet the insurers seem to be hiding between two arguments at present. Firstly that the decision taken by the pubs to close was not mandated by law and secondly that this crisis represents a 'force majeure' event," Mr Cribben said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0319/1124163-pubs-business-interruption-cover/

Ah will you got off the stage.

Why? I was just pointing out the legal realities, or maybe you can tell on what legal groudns the guards could have closed the pubs today? Even the TD on the radio said this is what they had told him

• Advertisement

Why? I was just pointing out the legal realities, or maybe you can tell on what legal groudns the guards could have closed the pubs today? Even the TD on the radio said this is what they had told him

I get the feeling you are trying to bait me.

The Guards closed a pub the other night there was video of it posted here.
    How come you choose to ignore that?

You’re comedy act is lost on me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement