Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

orchidopexy/undescended testicle surgery

• 12-09-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

My son is due to have this surgery when he is almost 1. It's a common enough issue so I was wondering if anyone on here has any experiences of the surgery? He's going to have it in temple street. If anyone else's son had it, what was the day like? How long is the baby under for and what is the recovery like afterwards? Any info and advice would be massively appreciated. I'm feeling so anxious about it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

If you're on Instagram give https://www.instagram.com/dr_mammyguthrie/ a follow.

Her son recently had the surgery and she might have a saved story on her account.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jimmers23

Our little fella had this done in crumlin a few years ago.. we had to be there for 7am he had to fast the night before. The waiting room was grand a soft play area and a play therapist there( pre covid of course) . We got called about 8. It goes on age and weight.. he went in.. one parent went in to put him under anesthetic and then we were both told to go for a coffee (1.5 hrs) and they would call us.. when he was brought back to recovery they brought us in for when he woke up. When he woke up the lovely nurses gave him yogurts, juices and an iPad .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jam_sambo_

Glad to see someone posting about this. Also following this thread as my son is also due to have this surgery soon. We've been on a waiting list at Temple Street since he was born and he is almost 2 now, so extremely anxious about getting it done ASAP as it should have been done by now. We're actually looking at getting it done privately at the Beacon now because I don't want to wait any longer.

Would be very interested on tips about recovery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

jam_sambo_ wrote: »
    Glad to see someone posting about this. Also following this thread as my son is also due to have this surgery soon. We've been on a waiting list at Temple Street since he was born and he is almost 2 now, so extremely anxious about getting it done ASAP as it should have been done by now. We're actually looking at getting it done privately at the Beacon now because I don't want to wait any longer. Would be very interested on tips about recovery too.

I was advised by the public health nurse to ring temple street to ask for a date for his surgery so we wouldn't get left behind. I called and asked to speak with someone from the consultant's office. I rang twice and then they sent out a letter with a date for him. So maybe call them a few times to move things along. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jam_sambo_

I was advised by the public health nurse to ring temple street to ask for a date for his surgery so we wouldn't get left behind. I called and asked to speak with someone from the consultant's office. I rang twice and then they sent out a letter with a date for him. So maybe call them a few times to move things along. Hope this helps!

Thanks - I've been on to them numerous times over the last few months, and we even paid for a private consultation with the consultant (which was originally meant for March but was pushed back to May). All he (and his secretary) will tell us was that it'd be done before Christmas, and every time I ask again, there's no update. It's not really good enough, so we're going to go with the Beacon. The whole delay is adding massively to my anxiety. Hope your little boy's op goes well.

• Advertisement

jam_sambo_ wrote: »
    Thanks - I've been on to them numerous times over the last few months, and we even paid for a private consultation with the consultant (which was originally meant for March but was pushed back to May). All he (and his secretary) will tell us was that it'd be done before Christmas, and every time I ask again, there's no update. It's not really good enough, so we're going to go with the Beacon. The whole delay is adding massively to my anxiety. Hope your little boy's op goes well.

That's awful. I'd feel the exact same as you. While I don't want him to get it done, he needs it so I'd rather get it over with ASAP. Hopefully you have better luck with the Beacon. My little guy will probably have his surgery before your son so I'll post a detailed summary of what happened on the day on this when it's done. Best of luck to you too!

Update: my little man had the surgery last week. So Temple Street have a morning or afternoon surgery and my guy had the afternoon one. That meant we needed to wake him at 5am that morning to make sure he'd had a breastfeed and breakfast before 6am. For afternoon surgery, they need to fast from food from 6am. They can have a breastfeed until 8am and clear liquids like water, flat 7Up and Dialorite until 11am.

We went to the hospital for 11am and were shown to his little bed. He had his surgery at about 1.45pm. I had to keep him entertained between 11am and 1.45pm. I thought he'd be crankier but he was actually fine.

The worst part of the day was when they put him to sleep. I really wish the doctors and or nurses had warned me about this.

I was allowed to go into theatre with him. They lay him on the table and then held him down, with his arms by his side, his face turned away from me and held the mask over his face. This lasted about 30 seconds, maybe a minute. He was so upset, screaming into the mask. I got a shock from this and started crying myself but tried to keep it together for him. I was singing into his ear trying to calm him. The doctor asked me to leave and I did, but I wished I'd stayed until he was asleep.

I found that part so traumatic. Surely there's a better way, other than holding him down like that. He has a 3 month check up and I'm going to chat to them about it then.

The surgery lasted about an hour and 15 mins. Then they brought him to me. I was waiting by his bed. He was very lethargic and pale and slept on me for about 2 hours. After that, he ate a little bit of yoghurt and drank some water. He wouldn't take a breastfeed. We left the hospital at about 5pm. He took a big breastfeed when we got home and then slept for most of the night.

He's recovering really well, better than I thought he would. The next day he was crawling around and ate his meals no problem. He's been in good form. I've been giving him Calpol and nurofen regularly for the pain. His wounds look sore but are healing well.

All in all, the day went well, the surgery was a success and the nurses were lovely. But the putting him to sleep part really upset me. I still think about it every night when I'm trying to sleep. I really wish there was a better way to do it. I hope this hasn't worried anyone who has a son due to have the surgery but I wish I'd known beforehand. I could have mentally prepared for it better. A friend of mine is a nurse and said it depends who you get on the day, apparently some doctors let you hold the baby while they do the mask. I wish we'd had that option. I'll be having a talk with them at his 3 month check up anyway.

Hope this info helps and if anyone has questions about the day or the surgery, let me know.

Advertisement