Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senior Executive Officer, Local Authority 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

flended12 wrote: »
    Placed mid 300's here. Done well in verbal and management. Apparently they didnt take numerical into the assessing?

Strange as I got 6000+ in verbal and 4900+ in management. Must be very close after first 200 perhaps to the next 200.

Suppose chances of getting all the way down here is remote.

Congrats to those who achieved first 200 and will get the job(s).

To give you a sense of position/score versus the overall no candidates

I got 92 placing with 5213 in management and 6731 in verbal

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

tungsten wrote: »

I'd imagine I wasnt too far off, just not good enough. Thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this can't be real.

It 100% is. Really odd, considering women are now performing better in leaving cert maths and science subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Thanks. I'm regretting being so lazy with Verbal!

If you passed I wouldn’t worry too much about the number, it’s likely that the Dublin region will fill up very fast and attract no takers and then they’ll call more batches.
    That happened with the SEE’s and SEP’s in 2015-16.

What do you mean it'll fill up but attract no takers? People won't take the job once it's offered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sgr213

I'm OOM 91. And had opposite marks! I got 6583 in management and 5366 in verbal. Disgusted the numerical wasn't used as I got 7539 in that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 okk

This board appears to have become a place for seasoned public sector people to boast about their results while ignoring the questions posed by others who are new to this process!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sgr213

okk wrote: »
    This board appears to have become a place for seasoned public sector people to boast about their results while ignoring the questions posed by others who are new to this process!

Who are the seasoned public sector people? This is my very first time applying and I am completely new to this process. I found this group and thought it would be extremely helpful and informative. I apologise if I should not have put my results. Others shared theirs so I did the same. I cannot answer other questions as I've never been through it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭crinkley

so the interview invites are out. I assume we can do the practice one as many times as we like? I want to see what is better quality for sound recording, my phone or my laptop

Edit: I have just seen you can do the practice as many times as you want, that's good lets me play around with my lighting lol

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

sgr213 wrote: »
    Who are the seasoned public sector people? This is my very first time applying and I am completely new to this process. I found this group and thought it would be extremely helpful and informative. I apologise if I should not have put my results. Others shared theirs so I did the same. I cannot answer other questions as I've never been through it before.

Ditto for me. I'm public sector but in the HSE, have never sat testing like this before. I would generally only reply to the thread if I had something of value to add or can speak with direct experience....

Best of luck everyone in the video interviews, I assume we're looking at a longer turn around this time, I don't envy the interview board with 200 X 11 min interviews to watch!! I sat on the board for 50 in person interviews (entry level) last year over a week and my head was spinning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Alittlehelp45

Does anyone know what Stage 3 will entail (I’m not getting ahead of myself - I’d just like to understand the process a bit better as an outsider)

Does anyone know what Stage 3 will entail (I’m not getting ahead of myself - I’d just like to understand the process a bit better as an outsider)

going by the booklet looks like an interview with a presentation possibly

The selection process may include some or all of the following:
     Online testing
     Video Interview
     Shortlisting of candidates on the basis of the information contained in their application;
     A preliminary interview, which may also include a presentation;
     Completion of an online questionnaire;
     A competitive interview, which may also include a presentation;
     Work sample/role play/ media exercise, and any other tests or exercises that may be deemed appropriate.

However, if its like the general AP I believe they had an e-tray exercise after the video interview

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Alittlehelp45

crinkley wrote: »
    going by the booklet looks like an interview with a presentation possibly

The selection process may include some or all of the following:
     Online testing
     Video Interview
     Shortlisting of candidates on the basis of the information contained in their application;
     A preliminary interview, which may also include a presentation;
     Completion of an online questionnaire;
     A competitive interview, which may also include a presentation;
     Work sample/role play/ media exercise, and any other tests or exercises that may be deemed appropriate.

However, if its like the general AP I believe they had an e-tray exercise after the video interview

Thanks- as an outsider the process seems a little onerous and extremely time consuming. I’m at interview stage for another role and would expect to know the outcome within weeks. It sounds like this process could linger for months - I suppose if you’re not in you can’t win!

Thanks- as an outsider the process seems a little onerous and extremely time consuming. I’m at interview stage for another role and would expect to know the outcome within weeks. It sounds like this process could linger for months - I suppose if you’re not in you can’t win!

It can depend how quickly they need staff. I'm in the UK civil service and they have tried to quicken up the pace so the last post it was 3 months (for internals, as there was no security checks needed) from applying to those at the top of the merit list getting in post. The competition before that one of my staff it took them 18 months from applying to being in post.

At least we are in the first batch, and by all accounts they foresee vacancies coming up after October

Video assessment with Sonru for those who my be interested in process

Introductory Question – 1 minute 30 seconds – (Not Scored)
    Please give a brief overview of why you feel you are suitable for the role of Senior Executive Officer. In your response, please make reference to your career to date and motivation for this particular position. (Note: This question is not scored)
    Question 1 – Delivering Results – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you were responsible for delivering results. In your response, describe how you delivered the service/project, with a focus on operational planning, management of resources (e.g. human, financial), monitoring standards and overcoming difficulties.
    Question 2 – Strategic Management & Change – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you devised, implemented and evaluated a strategy/policy to meet a specific change objective. In your response, describe how you went about this, who was involved and what impact this strategy/policy change had.
    Question 3 – Performance through People – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of leading and managing a team to ensure high performance. In your answer, please describe your approach to communicating with and motivating staff, building effective teams and monitoring standards.

Video assessment with Sonru for those who my be interested in process

Introductory Question – 1 minute 30 seconds – (Not Scored)
    Please give a brief overview of why you feel you are suitable for the role of Senior Executive Officer. In your response, please make reference to your career to date and motivation for this particular position. (Note: This question is not scored)
    Question 1 – Delivering Results – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you were responsible for delivering results. In your response, describe how you delivered the service/project, with a focus on operational planning, management of resources (e.g. human, financial), monitoring standards and overcoming difficulties.
    Question 2 – Strategic Management & Change – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you devised, implemented and evaluated a strategy/policy to meet a specific change objective. In your response, describe how you went about this, who was involved and what impact this strategy/policy change had.
    Question 3 – Performance through People – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of leading and managing a team to ensure high performance. In your answer, please describe your approach to communicating with and motivating staff, building effective teams and monitoring standards.

So are you just...paraphrasing your application form??

lucat wrote: »
    So are you just...paraphrasing your application form??

3 mins is approx 400 words - a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

For the people who scored well in the the management scenarios.

How did you approach the test? Did you mostly pick just one option for each question or divide the points across two/three options?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 PeachL00pies

Has anyone attempted the interview yet? Really struggling with the fact that once its recording you can't restart...

WAW wrote: »
    For the people who scored well in the the management scenarios.

How did you approach the test? Did you mostly pick just one option for each question or divide the points across two/three options?
    Thanks

Rule of thumb I was given with mgt scenarios is always follow line manager protocol and/or policy in your organisation. The "testers" want to make sure you are not inclined to go rogue.

Take any emotion out of the scenario and go with "what would manager/policy expect me to do".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

flended12 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb I was given with mgt scenarios is always follow line manager protocol and/or policy in your organisation. The "testers" want to make sure you are not inclined to go rogue.

Take any emotion out of the scenario and go with "what would manager/policy expect me to do".

Thanks. So basically, you would generally choose just one answer to each scenario rather than spread points over the 3 options?

WAW wrote: »
    Thanks. So basically, you would generally choose just one answer to each scenario rather than spread points over the 3 options?

Pretty much.

There were some answers that I gave a token 1 or 2 points out of the 6 including the main answer. In hindsight I should have stuck to what I was told for all answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Video interview is annoying. I haven't done it but trying to read your statements while looking at the phone screen is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

For those doing the interview, are ye using different examples for the answers to those ye used on the application form.

Find it very frustrating that the questions are pretty much what's on the application form. Is the correct strategy to use the same examples or to use different ones I wonder?

For those doing the interview, are ye using different examples for the answers to those ye used on the application form.

Find it very frustrating that the questions are pretty much what's on the application form. Is the correct strategy to use the same examples or to use different ones I wonder?

I'd say you are pretty safe using what was on the form just expanded etc. personally I used this bit of down time at work to write different ones to beef up my catalogue of answers for similar campaigns and hopefully the next stage.

Me again, I have a delay between my webcam and my microphone on the practice tests. I have sent an email but no reply. Any tech wizzards on here. Makes it look like someone else's voice as my lips are not in sync with the sound....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Casarina

Me again, I have a delay between my webcam and my microphone on the practice tests. I have sent an email but no reply. Any tech wizzards on here. Makes it look like someone else's voice as my lips are not in sync with the sound....

From trying the webcam and the Sonru app I would suggest doing it on your phone. The sound quality on my laptop was terrible. I think from what people are saying (both here / on the Ass Principal thread) that the Sonru app on your phone is the best option.

Have only done the practice test myself.... last minute.com for me I think! Not prepared at all!

Thank you so much I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! And me here writing this on my phone n then going to the laptop! Thanks again

Casarina wrote: »
    From trying the webcam and the Sonru app I would suggest doing it on your phone. The sound quality on my laptop was terrible. I think from what people are saying (both here / on the Ass Principal thread) that the Sonru app on your phone is the best option.

Have only done the practice test myself.... last minute.com for me I think! Not prepared at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Casarina

Thank you so much I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! And me here writing this on my phone n then going to the laptop! Thanks again

No bother at all. Best of luck to you and everyone at this stage! Great fun! :)

• Advertisement

doing mine this lunch time, I'm sick of looking at my answers lol

Advertisement