Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kids on the Baize (Past current pros when they were just starting out)hey

• 15-07-2020 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭

On this thread I thought it would be a good idea to put up clips of current/former pros playing as youngsters.

I watched these two excellent videos from 1994 a programme called New Kids on the Baize. Where young snooker players aged under 16 compete. Youngest was just 13 at the time. Format was the players played a best of 3 each round.

Then the winner of that round played 'elder statesman' Ronnie O'Sullivan (then 18 years old and then current UK champ) in an exhibition game. I think the outright winner got to play Steve Davis. Great format should be revamped!

First video is a 15 year old Paul Hunter v 14 year old Lee Spick.

It was particularly jarring seeing this, as both died before thier time.

According to Shaun Murphy, Lee Spick was the best Junior player back in the 90's.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2015/3/11/shaun-murphy-remembers-lee-spick

In the video (above at the end) it is funny to watch a wide eyed Paul Hunter look in awe, as Ronnie does not hold back while he floats around the table. :eek:

Here is that break on its own:

Another match from the same tournament was Barry Hawkins aged 15 v Stephen Maguire aged 13.

Complete with dire commentary from Ronnie! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nice piece that by Murphy on Lee Spick. Actually bumped into Lee and his dad in a pub once and had a chat over a pint about his snooker career and the desperate struggles they were enduring trying to make it. Really good people and was terribly sad to read of Lee's untimely death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

At least 20 seconds faster than the famous 147 and pretty tricky too. Once the frame is secured it just becomes ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

zuutroy wrote: »
    At least 20 seconds faster than the famous 147 and pretty tricky too. Once the frame is secured it just becomes ridiculous.

Amazing. He's so aggressive, hungry, and has a real fire in his belly....combined with such prodigious talent it's easy to see why he became the sensation he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ really love the high camera angle too....a far far cry from the 'sponsor-friendly' crap we've to put up with today...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found this great one. John Higgins v Mark Williams 1991 when both aged 15. First meeting between the two. Parents of both lads were interviewed as well. Came across well. Playing style of the lads has not changed really.

Song at start and end dodgy though!

Plus I learnt 'Wishaw' is pronounced 'Washy' in Scotland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

zuutroy wrote: »

The last blue! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

On this thread I thought it would be a good idea to put up clips of current/former pros playing as youngsters.

I watched these two excellent videos from 1994 a programme called New Kids on the Baize. Where young snooker players aged under 16 compete. Youngest was just 13 at the time. Format was the players played a best of 3 each round.

Then the winner of that round played 'elder statesman' Ronnie O'Sullivan (then 18 years old and then current UK champ) in an exhibition game. I think the outright winner got to play Steve Davis. Great format should be revamped!

First video is a 15 year old Paul Hunter v 14 year old Lee Spick.

It was particularly jarring seeing this, as both died before thier time.

According to Shaun Murphy, Lee Spick was the best Junior player back in the 90's.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2015/3/11/shaun-murphy-remembers-lee-spick

In the video (above at the end) it is funny to watch a wide eyed Paul Hunter look in awe, as Ronnie does not hold back while he floats around the table. :eek:

Here is that break on its own:

Another match from the same tournament was Barry Hawkins aged 15 v Stephen Maguire aged 13.

Complete with dire commentary from Ronnie! :D

Paul Hunter's open mouthed face in the crowd watching Ronnie is absolutely priceless.

Advertisement