Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top of the range travel system vs 400/500 system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Shop around with prices. Lots of places price match.
    All fabric parts of my bugaboo can be washed in the washing machine. I replace the pram mattress for each child. The latest one was £25 from amazon. So I would have no issue with second hand.

When I bought mine I paid €950 in total from Tony Kealy. I haggled over 2 days! I got the usual package including a besafe car seat and base etc.
    At the time second hand bugaboo and new besafe car seat and base would of been the same price as I wouldn’t buy a second hand car seat.
    I ended up selling the besafe car seat and base maybe 6 months later for €150 and bought the cabriofix and base new from Tony kealy for my second son. I think it was €200 price match.

I bought a baby jogger city mini for my car with the footmuff and rain cover for €270 online from amazon.

There are times when the uppababy vista is super cheap on amazon. There is a website called camel camel where you can track prices or check out hagglezon where it checks all the amazon sites.
    I previously bought my car seats for eldest from Amazon.it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you have the money and you want it, go for it.

We had twins. In retrospect I would have liked a bugaboo donkey twin for first year. Out and about Is excellent when they are older. ( you can pick those up easily second hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Love my uppababy too. It’s going strong on our third st the moment and our second isn’t 2 yet so I bought a secondhand rumble seat for him.

Another bonus I haven’t seen mentioned is that there is a built in sun visor in the bassinet and the seat that has factor 50 protection. That was so handy during our lovely weather during lockdown and when I brought it on hols in the past. Never had to worry about the baby getting too hot.

Our first preferred the bassinet to his Moses basket and slept at night in it until he was 6 months.

We never bothered with a stroller as I said it cost so much I wanted to get the use out of it. So it’s been to England, Portugal and the Canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Just said I'd give my input re the Bugaboo Donkey-I love it and it's still in perfect condition over four years later

My kids are 4 and 2. I decided when I was pregnant with the eldest that I would like a travel system that converted to a double as we were hoping for another relatively close.

My eldest will still hop into her seat and one thing that I think hasn't been mentioned yet is that the Donkey is the only travel system where the two kids sit side by side as opposed to top/bottom as in the Uppababy (it was at the time when I bought it anyway). That doesn't matter to everybody but I knew I'd prefer them next to each other and they still love it today. I can't imagine the eldest would still be hopping in to her seat if it was a top/bottom combo and it is so handy that she'll still go in it at times! She was also charmed that the baby was next to her from early on and could just be clipped on next to her chair in their carseat or pram so she could show off "her" baby

People told me it's too wide as a double but it's actually (deliberately I think) slightly narrower than a wheelchair which means it basically has to fit everywhere-we've brought it on Bus/Luas etc with no issues.

As a single, it has a really handy basket on the side so it takes all the stuff you drag around with a small baby and the basket underneath is still really roomy as a double.

One thing I learned with travel systems (and with most other baby things) is that the majority of people love what they've bought or done themselves and if you don't follow their lead, you've clearly done it wrong!!
    Have a look at them all, decide what's important to you and enjoy the arrival of your new baby.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks anyone any advice on where the best place would be to try for best price on the likes of an Uppababy or i candy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi folks anyone any advice on where the best place would be to try for best price on the likes of an Uppababy or i candy ?

Try Tralee nursery supplies. Their prices are often a bit lower. You’ll have to ring for a price though, they often don’t have them online. The likes of Tony Kealys will Price match, but you’ll need some way of demonstrating the price you’ve been quoted in Tralee Nursery. They were very odd about price matching for me when I was buying a buggy from them a While back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

I bought last year's version of the uppababy vista for 899 on littleangels.ie they have a great deal where you can then buy the car seat and isofix base half price. Give them a call. I did a lot of shopping around in person

I wanted a different maxi cosi seat (tinca) which they ordered in especially for me becuase it was lighter and has the side protection too. I had tested it in another shop. Saved me about 350 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Just Google to one you want & check the various sites. I just did a quick Google there and Bella baby seem to have the uppa baby vista travel system (car seat etc) for 1299 whereas most others are around 1599.

Samuel Johnston is another website worth keeping an eye on.

Does anyone know if venecci male double buggies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

Does anyone know if venecci male double buggies ?
    I don’t know this brand at all. Just googled it, don’t think they make doubles. Buggy does look very nice, especially the bassinet part. But this is exactly the type of buggy you ll be replacing after 6 months (depending on baby’s size) for something more compact/comfortable as the seat part doesn’t look that comfortable to me and I am not sure you can change the direction it’s facing. Both bugaboo donkey and uppababy vista have fabulous bassinets and extremely comfortable seats. My friends had iCandy, older model, it was extremely heavy, they couldn’t wait to change it for lighter buggy.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Try Tralee nursery supplies. Their prices are often a bit lower. You’ll have to ring for a price though, they often don’t have them online. The likes of Tony Kealys will Price match, but you’ll need some way of demonstrating the price you’ve been quoted in Tralee Nursery. They were very odd about price matching for me when I was buying a buggy from them a While back.

Won’t be giving anything to Tralee nursery supplies anyways ... rang him and got short snappy answers and attitude ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Won’t be giving anything to Tralee nursery supplies anyways ... rang him and got short snappy answers and attitude ...

We bought our travel system in Tony Kealys. They have price matched for me no problem.

There is another place up the north people buy from “kings baby shop”. That might be worth a look!

Millem wrote: »
    We bought our travel system in Tony Kealys. They have price matched for me no problem.

There is another place up the north people buy from “kings baby shop”. That might be worth a look!

Thanks , the Northern Ireland shop seem to be good for the car seats... might give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Hi, has anyone any opinions on the Nuna Demi Grow? Similar to uppababy vista..we like the idea of converting to a double down the line but I am worried about how heavy the frames are and if they are easy enough to manage alone. Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I haven't used it but I had a look at their site there.It looks good but my first and only thought was the second seat is an almost lie-flat seat and very low down.I would be very, very surprised if you managed to have a toddler who would be ok with being that low down, lying back looking up at the underside of a buggy seat.Toddlers are seriously nosey creatures, I suspect it would be a major struggle!!!Also I do tend to give mine snacks when in the buggy -I would not be happy handing a snack of any sort to a child in the lying back position (although that is my preference, may not be an issue for you).
    It's a pity because it is quite a nice design otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

shesty wrote: »
    I haven't used it but I had a look at their site there.It looks good but my first and only thought was the second seat is an almost lie-flat seat and very low down.I would be very, very surprised if you managed to have a toddler who would be ok with being that low down, lying back looking up at the underside of a buggy seat.Toddlers are seriously nosey creatures, I suspect it would be a major struggle!!!Also I do tend to give mine snacks when in the buggy -I would not be happy handing a snack of any sort to a child in the lying back position (although that is my preference, may not be an issue for you).
    It's a pity because it is quite a nice design otherwise.

Thank you for the reply, we had a look at it in Tony Kealys and there is around 20 different combinations, the way they showed us was the bassinet on the bottom with baby's head at the the back and toddler seat at the front sitting up looking out. We're just at the research stage at the moment, its like buying a car haha!

Becks0603 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, we had a look at it in Tony Kealys and there is around 20 different combinations, the way they showed us was the bassinet on the bottom with baby's head at the the back and toddler seat at the front sitting up looking out. We're just at the research stage at the moment, its like buying a car haha!

I’m starting to wonder if investing loads of money on buggies is worth it... should we be looking at getting an extra safe car seat first and picking the buggy/stroller that suits that then... a lot of the sellers tryin to shift mediocre car seats with buggies ... making it seem like a deal when in reality it’s not ...

I’m starting to wonder if investing loads of money on buggies is worth it... should we be looking at getting an extra safe car seat first and picking the buggy/stroller that suits that then... a lot of the sellers tryin to shift mediocre car seats with buggies ... making it seem like a deal when in reality it’s not ...

I would definitely pick your car seat first and go from there. The vast majority of travel systems will have adaptors for maxi cosi and probably be safe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

First of all - you don’t need to buy a bundle. Yes, they do make it look like a great deal, but like you said - they don’t necessarily bundle up the best car seats. Maxi cosi is a very safe bet and it can be used with a lot of buggies, you just might need to buy a special attachment. As it was mentioned before - you really need to get to the shop and try to push as many buggies as you can, you ll know straight away what you like or not. Or if you have friends with babies - test their buggies. When expecting our 2nd daughter - I did a huge research and we went to the shop with the intention of buying City mini double as it seemed perfect but we did try bugaboo donkey there and that’s what we got in the end. Realistically- there aren’t that many buggies that convert from single to double, and you mentioned that you d ideally like to have small age gap between kids. So it makes it easy - either buy a single buggy you really like with the intention of selling or keeping it but do keep in mind that if all goes to plan - you will end up buying a double buggy, but when you already have 2 kids - choice is better as you don’t need a single buggy to convert to double. When I was having my first - bugaboo donkey wasn’t out yet and I never liked the idea of kids on top of each other. There are great reviews/videos online as well, with every tiny detail, maybe have a shortlist of buggies you like and check the reviews/videos before going to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi

We are expecting this year and I wanted to ask can you buy just a car seat that slots into the buggy frame. We had a travel system for the 1st and we never used the carrycot part. It was a bit impractical for us as we live in the city, door is up steps.

Ideally I was hoping you could buy a stroller for 6 months plus, and then a car seat that fits it. Does anything exsist?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi

We are expecting this year and I wanted to ask can you buy just a car seat that slots into the buggy frame. We had a travel system for the 1st and we never used the carrycot part. It was a bit impractical for us as we live in the city, door is up steps.

Ideally I was hoping you could buy a stroller for 6 months plus, and then a car seat that fits it. Does anything exsist?

If you’re looking for something lightweight you might consider the Babyzen Yoyo with newborn insert – you can also get car seat adaptors for it. It probably wouldn’t be recommended to just have a car seat on a frame as your sole mode of transport as newborns shouldn’t be in a car seat for more than 90 minutes at a go (or thereabouts, I’m opens to correction).

We live in a first floor apartment with no lift and the babyzen has been brilliant, folded up it weighs 6kg so pretty easy to get up and down stairs. The newborn bassinet is very neat (people do a double take and say it’s like a toy pram!) but our baby loved it. It converts to a front facing stroller from 6 months. Only downside so far is that the front facing seat doesn’t recline all the way so naps were a bit tricky in it at first. The Ergobaby metro and Joolz Aer are both able to recline flat and the Metro does a newborn set too.

I have an uppababy minu. Would highly recommend. It's a compact light stroller, it takes a car seat with adaptors (I have a maxi cosi). There's also a new born attachment, up to 6 months I think (I never got that, but I would have if it was my main buggy, I was using the double most of the time). You can fold with one hand and it has a strap to throw it over your shoulder to carry. It's so handy. Great little buggy and feels solid. I bought mine at half price, somewhere in the uk, it's pricey at full price!

Cokezero wrote: »
    I bought last year's version of the uppababy vista for 899 on littleangels.ie they have a great deal where you can then buy the car seat and isofix base half price. Give them a call. I did a lot of shopping around in person

I wanted a different maxi cosi seat (tinca) which they ordered in especially for me becuase it was lighter and has the side protection too. I had tested it in another shop. Saved me about 350 euro!

Hi u don’t happen know if there is much of a difference with suspension between the vista 1 and vista 2? We do a lot of walking in roughish terrain and know the suspension is supposed to be improved but just wondering if by much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

I don't know about the difference but what I do know is that friends living in country areas with the original model were very happy with it and recommended it. The difference of the 250euro would go a long way for a three wheeler buggy when they are older too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We just ordered the Infababy travel system, its our last kid, I just can't justify the money on something to push a baby around in that isn't used much after 6 months.

thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

rob316 wrote: »
    We just ordered the Infababy travel system, its our last kid, I just can't justify the money on something to push a baby around in that isn't used much after 6 months.

thanks for the suggestions.

Totally agree.
    Baby no.4 due in December and I can’t justify the prices.
    I know I’ll want a travel system for only the first 3-6 months, after that’s I’ll want a good running buggy and a light city stroller.

marizpan wrote: »
    Totally agree.
    Baby no.4 due in December and I can’t justify the prices.
    I know I’ll want a travel system for only the first 3-6 months, after that’s I’ll want a good running buggy and a light city stroller.

I’ve said it a good few times on different forums, but when I had my 4th I bought an uppababy minu stroller. It has adapters for a maxi cosi. As a stroller it’s only suitable from 6 months but there’s a newborn attachment that you can put on instead of the seat from 0-6 mo. It’s pricey, but I bought it half price online from a UK site. Definitely one of my great buys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just to belatedly pitch in another vote for the out n about. I bought it for my first at around age two for walk/jog with. Used it from birth with my second with the bassinet. Worth every penny. I’ve had it nearly four years now going strong.

Edit: also had a step on the back of it for long day trips and it still pushed well with the 4 year old on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

We went into a shop for a first look in person. To us to be honest, they all pretty much look the same.

I suspect we'll go with the uppababy vista. The only 2 advantages I could really see with it were that the basket is certified for overnight sleep and that it can convert to a double (I assume the conversion costs the same as a mid range travel system). The jump in price for these features seems crazy. Am I missing something? Are there features I'm not seeing or things they do better than others?

And in relation to the certification for overnight sleep. Who certifies it? Basically, is it a real cert or a makey uppy one they use for advertising?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Push them around a good bit...see do they all have handle height options to suit you. Swing them in circles:D Stop, start a few times, put the brake on with one foot, undo it, bring a big handbag and put it in and out of the storage baskets a few times. Bend up and down to the seat, see does the difference in seat height matter to you. If the shop let you, bring it out and try it in your car boot, in and out a few times.

At a certain level, the cost is pretty much all the same. But this thing will be an extension of your arm for the next couple of years, and these are the things you will be doing hundreds of times over with it.

Advertisement