Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hobby Horses of Belief (and assorted hazards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 iceman700

Was the original question the difference between religion and spirituality?
    If so, I would like to add my two cents worth.
    Spirituality is a personal connection with universal energy, spirit or God, combing the oneness of all and mans connection to the planet.
    Those in power knew in order to fully control mankind, they had to come between God and man, thus religion was born.
    Now man had to go through those in power to get to God.
    Religion is spirituality trimmed down, with the control factor added.
    As I have said, just my two cents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

iceman700 wrote: »
    Was the original question the difference between religion and spirituality?

Mod: This is a kind of catch all thread for hazards associated with religious belief of any kind so the original question is somewhat moot. Once it involves commentary on religion or belief it is pretty much on-topic and your 2c are always welcome. Note that assumptions on the existence of God are liable to come under harsh scrutiny on this particular forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In McDonalds the fries taste like they are made from pretty much the same cardboard as catholic crackers. Especially if you foolishly eat them after they have gone cold.

Maybe a little salt would make the crackers more palatable :cool:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

This "mcdonalds" is nothing in comparison to the tempting Satanic Might of the Chinese takeaway.

Can somebody take one for the team and read this to the end?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'll try later with a glass or 3 of red :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'll try later with a glass or 3 of red :D

I'd need at least one bottle of tequila.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Why? I sincerely reckon the effort rather outweighs the reward. As for arguing the toss on the Christianity forum you may as well try to teach a pig to sing. Or to wrestle for that matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Good heavens, no.

I'm off the drugs that would make that possible, alas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's kinda fascinating though; a fantastic example of starting with pure theory and proving reality (or *a* reality) exists, rather than working out what the theory should be from the reality.
    the uncaused causiness refutes the entomological transience by virtue of it being non-reflexive and therefore self-negating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, watch this instead. it'll have the same effect.

anyway, watch this instead. it'll have the same effect.
    Glad they switched to $HYPED_TECHNOLOGY:

https://saagarjha.com/blog/2020/05/10/why-we-at-famous-company-switched-to-hyped-technology/

i googled the above video and have discovered the script dates back to 1944: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Likewise, here's the datasheet for Signetics' random-access write-only memory, complete with application suggestions:

https://www.baldengineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/25120-bw.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

robindch wrote: »
    Likewise, here's the datasheet for Signetics' random-access write-only memory, complete with application suggestions:

But.... it was published by a company from SYNNYVALE! See! SYN is everywhere! Repent! Repent!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Done. He appears to be copy and pasting it on websites all across the internet.

Mostly it is a word salad version of arguments you have heard before. Specifically the fine tuning of the cosmological constants, and the "First cause" argument.

As always with this nonsense there are core assumptions at the heart of it that are not actually, to my knowledge, safe assumptions for us to be making namely:

1) That all of everything must have been caused. Like the "something from nothing" argument why do we assume one state as default and that therefore the other state was "caused"? They assume their god is eternal and uncaused. So why can all of everything not be? Why do we assume "something from nothing" when we have no valid basis for assuming there ever was nothing?

2) Thinking the constants fine tuned assumes there is only one set of constants that are valid and useable. This is Douglas Adams "Sentient Puddle" essentially. For all we know there might be infinite combinations of constants that would produce a universe capable of sustaining life. Either combinations of the constants we know of, or a universe which has some or all of the constants entirely different to the ones we know about.

3) Causality as we know it is based on time as we know it. The user is applying our version of causality to an assumption that that is always how causality works. Do we know this to be true? Our resident Physicist might be along to tell us. But I am not convinced it is a safe assumption at all. If one of the things that came into existence at/after the big bang was time.... then how can we apply the concept of time based causality to "before" the Big Bang. What does "before" even mean in this context even?

Basically what the user is doing, albeit using a lot more words than usual to do it, is applying some very understandable limits of human experience and thought processes to the universe as a whole and everything before/outside/unrelated to our universe we know nothing about.

Due to the draconian forum rules over there I avoid entering "does god exist" debate lest I fall foul of them. Were the mods to move the thread here, or were the use himself to come and join us here, we could discuss his arguments with him one at a time and poke them well full of holes. Especially as most of them are just copy and pasted from sources we all know and love from many years ago, who have been roundly and repeatedly rebutted over the years. From Aquinus to the.... lovely..... Lane.

/dev/null on a chip! Just think what this could do to system performance!!

Life ain't always empty.

Bit of a long read but interesting nonetheless.

Last July, the pattern of killings of Muslims grew so dire—in 2018, there were thirteen fatal cow-related lynchings—that the Indian Supreme Court demanded that the legislature formulate laws against the practice, which it has yet to do. Last month, Human Rights Watch released a hundred-and-four-page report documenting the violence, and the inaction—and abuses—of the government officials charged with investigating the crimes.

“Lynching has become a nationalist project,” Mohammad Ali, a prominent Indian journalist who is currently working on a book about the phenomenon, told me. He said few perpetrators are punished, which has created a culture of impunity. Killers are lauded in some quarters as heroes for defending the faith and eradicating Muslims.
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/on-religion/the-violent-toll-of-hindu-nationalism-in-india?utm_campaign=falcon&utm_brand=tny&utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social&mbid=social_facebook&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR06lZ8pnM3-eDoOFvAymsivlwQbhKKRfUPYwEJvU6XkhU4CKgDE5xRflvo

pauldla wrote: »
    They paid millions? I must away with some parchment and cold tea...

World famous Dead Sea Scrolls at Museum of the Bible 'are fake'
    That Hobby Lobby story involving allegations of wide-scale scholarly dishonesty, theft, palm-greasing and fakery has been running for some years by now and with this latest court case, it doesn't look like it'll be finishing up any time soon:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hobby-lobby-sues-christies-wants-us-to-feel-sorry-for-them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Good luck with this

Sorry about that earlier unintended pun :o

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139231-wall-of-crosses/

It is good that these deaths are being marked, especially as funerals are so restricted now.
    But it does feel a bit presumptious really, as if everyone who has died would have been a catholic/christian.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139231-wall-of-crosses/

It is good that these deaths are being marked, especially as funerals are so restricted now.
    But it does feel a bit presumptious really, as if everyone who has died would have been a catholic/christian.
    I think you're maybe being a bit oversensitive there. There is no implication that the dead were all Catholic or Christian. Catholics/Christians pray for/remember the dead because of their own beliefs, not the beliefs of those who have died.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

^^^ Similar, but less happy outcome, in Cameroon:

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/panic-grips-faithful-after-cameroon-covid-pastor-dies
    VOA wrote:
    Panic has gripped several hundred people after a popular Cameroon pastor and candidate in the central African state’s last presidential election, Frankline Ndifor, died of COVID-19 following his prayers that hundreds of his supporters should be cured of the coronavirus. [...] "This is a pastor that has been laying hands [on the sick] and claiming that he cures COVID-19," Che said. "If you, the person that claims that you are curing COVID-19, you are dead, what about the fellow people that were affected by the COVID-19? Now that he is dead, I do not know how the people that he was laying hands on will be healed."

Medical staff are asking all those who came in contact with the pastor to report to hospitals to be tested for COVID-19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The lack of common sense doesn't discriminate, whatever your beliefs are or lack thereof.

Just because you're religious it doesn't mean that you've less scruples.

I heard that there was a load of Heathens and Atheists organising a party in the Burren this weekend, and they're just as thick and ignorant as any other group of people.
    How do I know they're Atheists and Heathens ?

I know because I have been in their company, nice people and great banter but I wasn't having anything to do with their illogical gathering.

If it was raided I'd have no sympathy for them, stupidly and ignorance doesn't discriminate that's for sure.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Religious events have been major spreaders of the virus in many countries, South Korea and France in particular.

10 May or 20 May though? Sloppy, BBC.

Frankfurt-Main presumably, not Frankfurt-Oder, but that is kinda nit-picking :)

Life ain't always empty.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

In a similar vein, meet the Irish anti-vaccine people, who seem immune to social distancing, as well as sense, facts etc........

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/05/25/in-this-together-3/?fbclid=IwAR3a7ZR_eIiX9JDGryu8huRIAQmgRUSlFGziCfkqT6x8cI7sqAKaHiqe4Zw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Religious events have been major spreaders of the virus in many countries, South Korea and France in particular.

The lord moving in mysterious ways maybe?

• Advertisement

Advertisement