Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-05-2014, 20:55   #1

This Sunday's Gospel

Sunday, May 04, 2014
Third Sunday of Easter

First Reading : Acts 2:14, 22-33
Psalm: Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11
Second Reading :1 Peter 1:17-21

Gospel : Luke 24:13-35

The Walk to Emmaus

13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emma′us, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem, 14 and talking with each other about all these things that had happened.

15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 

Then one of them, named Cle′opas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened. 22 

Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning 23 and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see.” 25

And he said to them, “O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He appeared to be going further, 29 but they constrained him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them. 31 And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight. 32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?”

33 And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven gathered together and those who were with them, 34 who said, “The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2014, 21:05   #2

Caravaggio also painted this scene in 1601, and it now hangs in the National Gallery in London, he also painted another version in 1606, which is in the Brera Fine Arts Academy, in Milan
04-05-2014, 22:32   #3
homer911

Slightly off topic..

http://www.emmauswalks.ie/
Thanks from:
04-05-2014, 22:38   #4

Quite on topic, nice little video on the cover page too
04-05-2014, 22:42   #5
tayto lover

Why are there numbers throughout that text OP please?
Advertisement
04-05-2014, 22:54   #6

Hi, those are the verse numbers, it's from Luke chapter 24, verse numbers 13 to 35. I probably should have left them out to make it easier to read. When printed in bibles etc. they are usually shown in a much lighter font so you don't notice them so much.
Thanks from:
04-05-2014, 23:49   #7
Manach

I suppose what I take from this passage, is that even Jesus' close disciples were skeptical of the story of the resurrection as they perhaps would have had thought his mission brief was to free them from the worldly oppression of the Roman (personally rather a fan thereof) as per the term "redeem" - instead of freeing them from sin.
-my 2c
10-05-2014, 17:51   #8

Sunday, May 11, 2014
Fourth Sunday of Easter

First Reading:Acts 2:14, 36-41
Psalm:Psalm 23:1-6
Second Reading: 1 Peter 2:20-25

Gospel : John 10:1-10

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber;
but he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the gatekeeper opens; the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

This figure Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them.
I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
Thanks from:
10-05-2014, 18:10   #9
homer911

Hi ryan101 - it would be helpful if you posted your own thoughts on these passages - its a discussion forum after all.

Jesus is saying there is only one way to the Father - through him

Jesus knows his own and his own know to follow him and no other
Advertisement
10-05-2014, 18:21   #10

Please discuss away, I hope you do, unfortunately I have to head out now, so I can't do it justice just at the minute, but I'll be back with my own thoughts later.
10-05-2014, 19:31   #11

For me it echos the following

John 14:6 when Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."

Matthew 7 15:20 “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Matthew 24:24 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect."

Later on in this chapter is also very important

John 10:27-33

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
Thanks from:
12-05-2014, 19:21   #12
Mrs OBumble

This Sunday, according to which lectionary? Roman Catholic and Revised Common are the ... common! ... ones, but I believe there are others.
Thanks from:
17-05-2014, 20:22   #13

Sunday 18th May 2014
Fifth Sunday of Easter

First Reading : Acts 6:1-7
Psalms : 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19
Second Reading : 1 Peter 2:4-9

Gospel John 14:1-12

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."

Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father."
Thanks from:
18-05-2014, 17:26   #14
homer911

Personally, I love the assurance of this Bible passage - It always seems to be read at funerals and I was at a funeral yesterday where this was read. What I dislike is that it is so overused to provide reassurance to the bereaved family, often where the deceased could barely be described as Christian - this is a Christian message directed to the followers of Jesus who know and love Him, and should be seen as such.

(The funeral I was at was of wonderful young Christian man who was a role model for all of us - I will miss him dearly)
24-05-2014, 18:33   #15

Sunday, May 26, 2014
Sixth Sunday of Easter

First Reading:Acts 8:5-8, 14-17
Psalm:Psalm 66:1-7, 16, 20
Second Reading: 1 Peter 3:15-18

Gospel : John 14:15-21

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. "I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion