Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to register .ie domain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I know as much as you know about technology and domain management, if not more, but that's not the issue..
    I take it back, Ireland are well up on technology, there's no excuse to be more expensive than other companies offering the same services for over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sounds wrote: »
    I know as much as you know about technology and domain management, if not more, but that's not the issue..
    Perhaps not. You don't track the domain registration and hosting statistics of over five million hosters, track hundreds of TLDs each day, track the registration, transfers, deletions, hosting, and locations of over a hundred and sixty million active domain names and over one hundred and fifty million deleted domain names going back to 2000. Perhaps you haven't mapped the entire com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia TLDs by website and run million domain name website usage categorisation surveys either. Then there's that little thing about having been on an ICANN advisory group on specific domain name issues. And there's the twenty years or so of registering domain names in .IE and other TLDs. At least I've managed to reduce the number of domain names that I own to just over a hundred. So as you can see, I have a slightly different view of the domain name business than most people.
    I take it back, Ireland are well up on technology, there's no excuse to be more expensive than other companies offering the same services for over 20 years.
    Twenty years ago, domain name registrations were free even in the .IE ccTLD. In 1995, a two year registration fee ($50 per year) for .COM domains was implemented. The price for .IE was over 100 Euro when fees were brought in and it is really only in the last ten years that the cost of .IEs have fallen.

The .IE ccTLD is a managed TLD. This means that some form of entitlement to the domain has to be shown before IEDR will register a domain. Typically this is a company name, a CRO business name registration, a personal registration or a discretionary registration. The CRO aspect adds another cost to the already high cost of .IE registrations. However some hosters sell .IE as a loss leader on hosting packages which can reduce the cost of the registrations. There are no such requirements for .COM or many other gTLDs so they have global markets and are cheaper. This is not an excuse. I still think that any .IE registrant using an exact match CRO business name that had to be registered for the purpose of registration should get some kind of discount. The .IE registration fee is still high in comparison with other TLDs but at the moment it is dominating the Irish market. This is unlikely to change in the immediate future and the launch of .IRISH gTLD may not make a serious dent in its market share.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Also they make you put your real name in the whois info for your .ie domain.
    Which is rather intruding on your right for privacy, if you would prefer to keep your real name off the net for security reasons.
    It's your name ONLY. No other contact details.
    Unless, like me, you have an odd name, it's highly unlikely that the mere inclusion of your name in whois is going to have much impact on your privacy
    I think they are years behind on technology in Ireland, and over priced compared to other tlds, but they have excuses for that too.
    .ie domains are more expensive than some ccTLDs - yes
    However they're cheaper than a LOT of new TLDs

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bytasv

Hello,

I'm trying to complete my submission for business name registration with no luck yet. I'm not a citizen of Ireland nor I have a company registered in Ireland. What are my options so I could finish my submission and then proceed onto domain registration?

Is there a service in Ireland that could provide me address which I could use for business name registration or something like that?

Thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bytasv wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm trying to complete my submission for business name registration with no luck yet. I'm not a citizen of Ireland nor I have a company registered in Ireland. What are my options so I could finish my submission and then proceed onto domain registration?

Is there a service in Ireland that could provide me address which I could use for business name registration or something like that?

Thank you for your help.

You can register a business name as a sole trader through CRO.ie but I think you need an Irish address to do it.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    You can register a business name as a sole trader through CRO.ie but I think you need an Irish address to do it.

Yes that is what I started to do. Unfortunately I did not find anywhere that you need an Irish address in order to register a business name. Does anyone know if I could use any Irish address, address of my relatives..?

Yes that is what I started to do. Unfortunately I did not find anywhere that you need an Irish address in order to register a business name. Does anyone know if I could use any Irish address, address of my relatives..?

You probably could use your relative's address, but you'd need to let them know ..

Does it involve any risks for people that would allow me to use their address? Could anyone posting in these forums help me with that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Does it involve any risks for people that would allow me to use their address? Could anyone posting in these forums help me with that?

The address you give will be listed publicly against your business name at least on the CRO website and quite possibly to a broader range of websites.

Will your friends/relatives be ok with that?

Right now I just want to secure a domain name and no real business or anything will happen for that matter so I believe that publicly visible address should not make any harm to anyone.. Another question is - will I be allowed to use address if my friends/relatives are renting the place and not owning it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Right now I just want to secure a domain name and no real business or anything will happen for that matter

So what will you use it for? The IEDR don't take kindly to cyber squatting.

I will be using that domain as main project address as I already have registered .net domain with my project name I want to secure .ie domain as project name ends with "ie". It's almost the same as youtube.com uses youtu.be (.be) domain to shorten their link.

Right now I just want to secure a domain name and no real business or anything will happen for that matter so I believe that publicly visible address should not make any harm to anyone.. Another question is - will I be allowed to use address if my friends/relatives are renting the place and not owning it?

OK, two things worth pointing out.

A .ie domain name has little value on the market as you cannot sell .ie domain names on their own.
    A .ie domain is for businesses that have a real and substantive connection to the island of Ireland or have an EU community trademark.

Thats the primary reason Irish businesses can often get the domain they want for their businesses.

That's also the reason I'm not going to help you try and get around the domain registration requirements.

I will be using that domain as main project address as I already have registered .net domain with my project name I want to secure .ie domain as project name ends with "ie". It's almost the same as youtube.com uses youtu.be (.be) domain to shorten their link.

If you register an EU trademark, you'll be entitled to apply for the .ie domain name quite legitimately.

Sorry if the last 2 posts sound harsh, Boards is incredibly well represented in Google searches. It would do the .ie domain registry or .ie domain name holders (present or future) any favours to have a step-by-step guide to avoiding the domain name registration requirements.

Ok, could you at least elaborate more on "EU community trademark", would it be easier/possible to register a domain name if I had trademark registered?

FYI, I don't want to get around the domain registration requirements, that's why I want to register a business name in Ireland, so I could legally get the domain I want. Another matter is if it's possible for me to register a business name without breaking rules/laws. At the very beginning I thought I don't need a real company for a business name to be registered and I did not realise (could not find information) that I need a valid Ireland address in order to do so..

That's why I'm asking for help/information how could I complete this issue without breaking any laws or rules, if it's possible at all.. I believe it should be possible because I know at least one company which has .ie domain registered the same way I want and it is based in Germany.

Graham wrote: »
    If you register an EU trademark, you'll be entitled to apply for the .ie domain name quite legitimately.

Sorry if the last 2 posts sound harsh, Boards is incredibly well represented in Google searches. It would do the .ie domain registry or .ie domain name holders (present or future) any favours to have a step-by-step guide to avoiding the domain name registration requirements.

That's fine and I understand that, that's why I'm not asking to break anything or do something bad. I just want to know what are the possible ways for me (non Ireland citizen) get business name registered.

As I search how could I register a trademark I was a little bit surprised by how much registering trademark costs, it's ~1000 EUR. Now that's a lot compared to registering a business name in Ireland (which is 20 EUR)...

Ok, could you at least elaborate more on "EU community trademark", would it be easier/possible to register a domain name if I had trademark registered?

FYI, I don't want to get around the domain registration requirements, that's why I want to register a business name in Ireland, so I could legally get the domain I want. Another matter is if it's possible for me to register a business name without breaking rules/laws. At the very beginning I thought I don't need a real company for a business name to be registered and I did not realise (could not find information) that I need a valid Ireland address in order to do so..

That's why I'm asking for help/information how could I complete this issue without breaking any laws or rules, if it's possible at all.. I believe it should be possible because I know at least one company which has .ie domain registered the same way I want and it is based in Germany.

I can't comment on the unknown German company you are referring to. I can tell you the IE Domain registry requirements

Connection with Ireland: If you are not based within the 32 counties of Ireland you must show that you have a connection to Ireland to register a .ie domain name. A connection with Ireland can be proven by any of:
    • Irish resident or citizen (passport/drivers licence/utility bill etc.)
    • A company registered in Ireland, or with offices/branches in Ireland (Registered Business Number (RBN)/VAT number etc.)
    • Providing evidence to show that you are either currently trading with or providing a service to Irish customers (e.g. invoices, high quality marketing material aimed at the Irish market, or a solicitor or accountant’s letter confirming your current or future trade with Ireland).
    • Providing evidence to show that they will be relocating to Ireland in the near future.
    • Holding a Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or EU Community registered trademark.

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/registration-requirements/

As you appear to have no intention of conduction business in Ireland I don't think an RBN is your best choice. A trademark would serve dual purpose for you, it would protect your brand and allow you to legitimately register a .ie domain name.

I'm a little bit confused, here it say's that in order to register a .ie domain I need registered business name - iedr.ie/p30/registration-policy/ and that is fine, I go to register a business name and I find this - cro.ie/en/business-registration-business-name.aspx and when I start make a business name submission there is nowhere to find the requirement for entering your business number (or anything that would identify your business), only the requirement for address which is also not mentioned that needs to be in Ireland and I can enter whatever address I want (it also has a VALIDATE button which shows that an address I entered is valid even though it's not in Ireland)..

Naturally I assume that I could use this business name without having an actual business running in Ireland, for example I have a company in USA and I want to sell my goods to Ireland citizens so I get a business name "Selling goods", register domain "selling-goods.ie" and localize the content of the website also to represent it better for Ireland citizens. So in this case I believe it's not possible, unless "Selling goods" is a registered trademark?

I'm a little bit confused, here it say's that in order to register a .ie domain I need registered business name - iedr.ie/p30/registration-policy/ and that is fine, I go to register a business name and I find this - cro.ie/en/business-registration-business-name.aspx and when I start make a business name submission there is nowhere to find the requirement for entering your business number (or anything that would identify your business), only the requirement for address which is also not mentioned that needs to be in Ireland and I can enter whatever address I want (it also has a VALIDATE button which shows that an address I entered is valid even though it's not in Ireland)..

Naturally I assume that I could use this business name without having an actual business running in Ireland, for example I have a company in USA and I want to sell my goods to Ireland citizens so I get a business name "Selling goods", register domain "selling-goods.ie" and localize the content of the website also to represent it better for Ireland citizens. So in this case I believe it's not possible, unless "Selling goods" is a registered trademark?
    if you have a business outside Ireland and / or registered trademark AND you can show proof of trade with Ireland you can get a .ie domain name
    BUT you will need to provide documentation as already mentioned
    Any good registrar should be able to assist you with this

I would be surprised if an individual with no connection to Ireland (business or personal) could register a business name.

RBNs are predominantly used by Sole Traders or Limited Companies who wish to trade under a name other than their company name.

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if an individual with no connection to Ireland (business or personal) could register a business name.

RBNs are predominantly used by Sole Traders or Limited Companies who wish to trade under a name other than their company name.

I don't think anyone said that ..

Blacknight wrote: »
    I don't think anyone said that ..

Poster stated he's not going to be trading here:
    I just want to secure a domain name and no real business or anything will happen

Poster stated he's not going to be trading here:

OK.. then he won't be able to register a domain under the current rules ..

OK.. then he won't be able to register a domain under the current rules ..

I thought that was the case.

Curiously the IEDR registration requirements suggest a connection with Ireland can be proven by holding a Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or EU Community registered trademark. You've a lot more experience of how the IEDR interpret the rules than I have though so I definitely wouldn't disagree.

Back in the very dim and distant past, I vaguely recollect hotels.com being gifted the hotels.ie domain name under the trademark rule.

I thought that was the case.

Curiously the IEDR registration requirements suggest a connection with Ireland can be proven by holding a Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or EU Community registered trademark. You've a lot more experience of how the IEDR interpret the rules than I have though so I definitely wouldn't disagree.

Back in the very dim and distant past, I vaguely recollect hotels.com being gifted the hotels.ie domain name under the trademark rule.

Generally speaking even with a trademark you'd have to show some proof of trade.
    In the case of a big e-commerce site like hotels.com that wouldn't be too hard as they'd have clients / customers in Ireland, which is all that's really required.

Over the past couple of years IEDR have been relaxing *some* of the rules so it is *relatively* easier than it used to be, but it's still an uphill struggle compared to other domain extensions.

it's still an uphill struggle compared to other domain extensions.

Long May that last.

Long May that last.
    *Sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tj42

If i register a business name and don't do any business am I likely to cause myself any particular hassle? e.g tax issues

I want to create a page to showcase my web design projects but i have never done anything as a business, I currently have a job and no immediate intention of actually doing any business.

tj42 wrote: »
    If i register a business name and don't do any business am I likely to cause myself any particular hassle? e.g tax issues
    Short answer - no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Alakbd

Hi there,
    I have done it few days before. I have registered my Business with CRO and then provided that number and Copy of Cert to the domain hosting companies. Its easy. Once they got your registration number they will approve .ie for your business. It is up to you what do u wanna choose as your business name.

For Revenue, if you are a sole trader then You do not have to even register your business with them unless your business earn more than €75000 over the year. Your PPS number will be counted as your Business VAT number.

Thats all I know from my experience.

Advertisement