Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irreligious countries and ****.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

No! I won't have that at all SW (I'm calling you SW from now on... well maybe not from now on, probably just for this post... but I just like to threaten that I will do things 'from now on'. I find it adds an air of tension to the situation without having to post a tension setting youtube embedmentation {<< that word is under review by Oxford, but for now consider it cromulent}). Your ridiculousness writings classy up the thread. You get to be weirded out... but you also learn something if you're willing to roll with it. Also you don't want to get into the whole habit of deleting posts once you reobserve (<<Oxford review pending) them. It leads down a dark and haunting path. Malty T (AKA Jernal{?}) knows what I'm talking about. Embrace the hasty odd posts man... become one with them.

That way they won't remind you of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

strobe wrote: »
    Embrace the hasty odd posts man... become one with them.

Theoretically this makes perfect sense, in practice the past week shows
    people don't like it very much ;)

Oh god, the rant... Just know it's there. How does one incorporate
    physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, meiosis having sex with the
    Ramones (notice the lack of a comma there), music & honesty into a
    paragraph?

Obviously by an instrumental

So...

but then...

Obviously that's not really what it is... I think what it was was (I FUNCKING LOVE when you double up on words like <<those was') explored tentatively before. But best to leave the past in the past. I blame that Liamo chap. Where is he gone to these days? Wouldn't it be gas if he had Islamed up without mentioning it or something? It would be gas, it'd be fracking hilarious {a little gas extraction humour for you there}.

So yeah... the general thrust of my post is (well the general thrust was to post that first song and that second substitute song that I had to sub in when I forgot what the second song I meant to post was) that with A&A {that symbol looks like two seals burning down pylons with lazers... Admit it!} talking about non-A&A stuff and what have you [I like the way that topics have a completely different vibe when discussed here than they do anywhere else... it's interesting] that maybe we could do...

... wait I remembered the second song. Please disregard all irrelevant previous stuff above <but only the irrelevant stuff, the rest of the stuff is fairly important to the whole tone of the post>

Crap I forgot the second song again... but here's Black Keys - by The Minutes and Insane Lullaby - by Sparklehorse for no reason in particular instead.

Actually that is a great song by Sparklehorse above... that background distorted voice apparently says "I'm running up the mountain" over and over again... but I may have dreamt that...

Enjoy.

(){}[]<>

Isn't life fantastic in it's way of allowing people to approach the same
    topic &/or concept from a different angle/perspective:

& be accepted for it, the Gotye version of knowing someone in the past
    is good but E. Smith just provides a nice perspective :cool:

groundsealis128555817325760186.jpg

If I'm back it means this
    liamw wrote: »
    Hey strobe, not too bad. Pretty crazy night; hate dick-teases.

man is wise beyond his years & is requested for a 3am update stat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

How did this turn into ''Music for Atheists''?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Barr125 wrote: »
    How did this turn into ''Music for Atheists''?
    Threadsubstantiation.

I was told and shown this song by this cool chubby ginger girl from Birmingham this one time. We were sitting in a long green saloon with a guy from Kerry that played the drums. Parked under a tree that these two magpieish birds used to hang out in. We were smoking weed that we had wrapped up in an empty brown bread plastic because I had ate all the bread and stole the little 3 sided square for use as a guitar pick. Anyway we were sitting there joking about how this big crazy guy that owned the property we were parked on under the three would sneak up on us disguised in a suit that made him look like a little Asian guy. Then a little Asian guy walked right fucking past us... so ginger English girl put a CD in and selected this song... me and the Kerry drummer didn't get the significance until a couple of months later... blew our ****ing minds it did. True story.

And the weirdest thing? I don't even own a ham radio... :eek:

Wait...What?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Drunk atheists are fun LOL

• Advertisement

Would you like to come up and see my etchings?

I was told and shown this song by this cool chubby ginger girl from Birmingham this one time. We were sitting in a long green saloon with a guy from Kerry that played the drums. Parked under a tree that these two magpieish birds used to hang out in. We were smoking weed that we had wrapped up in an empty brown bread plastic because I had ate all the bread and stole the little 3 sided square for use as a guitar pick. Anyway we were sitting there joking about how this big crazy guy that owned the property we were parked on under the three would sneak up on us disguised in a suit that made him look like a little Asian guy. Then a little Asian guy walked right fucking past us... so ginger English girl put a CD in and selected this song... me and the Kerry drummer didn't get the significance until a couple of months later... blew our ****ing minds it did. True story.

And the weirdest thing? I don't even own a ham radio... :eek:

Wait...What?

Holy fcuk I just seen that this was the last message & Can't believe I never replied to it (yeah that capital is supposed to bee there, and?).
    I honestly think that girl has to be the smartest person I've ever heard about, it takes something very very rare to throw a song on like that in that insanely specific particular insanely particular moment - I'm in love with her aura, and? (Aura doesn't exist, Darwin proved it wrong in 1641, didn't you read about that? Silly wog, not operating at thetan levels at all are we?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I thought this song was fantastic when I first heard it as a teenager. It was the first song I ever heard that went against everything I was taught.

God is a concept, by which we measure our pain.
    What a powerful line!

I discovered this Japanese band a few weeks back. No idea what they are trying to say, even when looking up the lyrics it didn't make sense. :D
    Something to do with god, so I choose to think they are being irreverent.
    I find the opening rift dead catchy.

No love for cheesy, saccharine sweet, power ballady crap with really quite nicely composed guitar sections, huh? Who made you the king of summer time, huh?

I am outraged... probably.

Fukk off music troll!!!!

Oh but wait, also, quite a good song that I didn't heat for like 20 years... (oh jesus, can I really say I haven't heard things for 20 years..? I guess so*) ...before tonight.

*or I guess not, I mean I can say I didn't heat it for 20 years apparently, but can I say I didn't hear it? I'm not really in a position to say.

Oh but wait, also, quite a good song that I didn't heat for like 20 years... (oh jesus, can I really say I haven't heard things for 20 years..? I guess so*) ...before tonight.

*or I guess not, I mean I can say I didn't heat it for 20 years apparently, but can I say I didn't hear it? I'm not really in a position to say.

ZOMG like, I so, like, TOTALLY, had forgotton about this thread, like. Strobey :D:D:D

And I love that song. But 4fm play it almost weekly so it gets a bit satiated.

Ummm, let's see, what can I, yeah I guess, this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The uncompromisingly effective, uncompromisingly difficult, Octaves by Jeanne Demessieux, played by Cameron Carpenter who for once in his talented life, is having to work hard:

Storbyyyeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy where are youuuuuuu? :(

So, I spent with the intention of learning a little bit about a java. The intention was good, the goods just never got delivered. That said I do think I understood the philosophy of life a little better. But the skeptic in me knows that we humans always tend to think we're better or wiser than we were previously. .. Argghhh frickign ellipsis frick out of my head and stop appearing in my posts :mad:

This one goes out to Liamw, wherever he may be. Better to burn out than to fade away...

I sure miss Liam. He didn't just change name and we missed it?
    Anyways, where he is, I do hope he is keeping well and I know, just know, he is singing this to us right now. In that sweet sweet voice of his.
    (I think I may have just creeped him out there, oh well.)
    *Hugs brothers and sisters.*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm not drunk, but I'm on medication that's almost like being drunk when I'm awake this late, so mbleh. I always thought this was something of an atheist song. I don't even know if that's important in this thread. Bah, who cares, it's freakin' Motorhead, so it's relevant.

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm not drunk, but I'm on medication that's almost like being drunk when I'm awake this late, so mbleh.
    soulmate.jpg
    I will protect you forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jernal wrote: »
    soulmate.jpg
    I will protect you forever.

Oh, you're smooth. Smooth like this tune:

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh, you're smooth. Smooth like this tune:

There's nothing in this world smoother than some Dizzy:

Alright, I sprayed some hay fever medication stuff up my nose just now so I'm not responsible for the consequences of what follows either (oh yeah...)

Seen Malcolm X again today because that film is awesome, & I just have to ask whether the dictionary scene impacted other people as much as it impacted me? "White" - pureness, innocence etc... while "black" is dismal, gloomy etc...

Just fascinating stuff, makes you wonder whether there is an evolutionary thing somewhere in there, & you hear that "negro" was Spanish for black object,

I mean, wtf... ("A man curses because he doesn't have the words to say what's on his mind...")
    should be studying...

Strobyeeeeeeeeeeeee and Sponsoredddddddd ,so like after watching Arnie's Total Recall, I noticed it had Sam Fisher's in it and I was like "Wow! Fisher was in a lot of movies and I didn't even cop it, then I remembered how Fisher was no longer Fisher and Fisher was new Fisher and that this probably doesn't make any sense to you but I loved Old Fisher. If it does then you should not to say the word "Monkey" and say something useful (Unless you have a death wish of course.)

So, I just wondering if you ever have those moments where really obvious things that have been in front of you your whole life just strike and you go "How did I miss that?"

Does anyone remember these guys?

Where does the time go eh?

Ah what the heck,

Tear it up bro!

Stroby and Strabogolis my sincerest of apologies for the previous post. I accidentally posted the wrong video. Well I could never post the wrong video it was more an error on Boards.ie's part. Not mine! While I do reminisce about the Real McCoy I didn't really associate them with an epoch in my life. These guys on the other hand. . .

It was like that first hip moment where you take a liking to an indie group for no reason. I find it, that even as religious freak I had a decent taste in music. I guess if you're a judgemental prick on everything you gonna be right about something you judge.No no I know that fallacious law of averages reasoning, pure utter bullsh1t. That said I do still hold a soft spot for choirs, christmas songs and religious songs in general they really do tug at the heart strings. Even if they are given glory to something that just craves adoration. But heart strings really should be the limbic system (am I right on this Improbable? Oi! Improbably do you read this thread, please I'd just like to know if what we conceptually regard as the heart is actually just our limbic system at work of if I've got the wrong part of the brain completely. I should close this parenthesis now but I think I'll just start another one, (can you have an inception of parenthesis) (I'm not sure what the thoughts going on in here are though. Religious and spiritualists folks often go on about listening to this part right here, but I can't here anything. Maybe that's why I'm no longer spiritual or maybe that's why I think they might possibly have in the slightest way be deluded. I don't know, there's nothing I can perceive going on here. That's all I do know. It's a bit of a pity too because I know from MRI thingys that this part is supposedly quite active. Eitherway, I think it's best to jump down one level again.) There that's better. I'm not sure if this post will make any sense or if I'm going to follow in Stroby's tradition of deleting it in the morning but can I just say this? (Well actually I'm going to say it anyway. Oh and this was a different type of parenthesis I'm not jumping between conscious levels here - at least I don't think I am.) Game theory is really interesting and Steve Pinker's books are quality reads. Oh! I think this is all inside one level of parenthesis so I'll just exit it with an ellipsis (f*cking hate those - shallow I know!) ) Ok now we're back to normal text level again. It's a nice summery night and I need another tune.

Yeah plasmas they be awesome.

Go to 42:20 of this:

to get the point encapsulated in this weeks fiylosophizing philosophiye, capishe...

Malt/Jern, great u2 song - I have undying respect for Bono ever since I seen a video of him bringing the mothers of the desaparecideo onstage,

I mean my god, few do such things with their lives...

All we need now is:

Ohh Strabogolis I love you man.
    Well, I mean that in the guy love way, besides we both share love and intrigue, and possibly hatred, definitely frustration anyway, for the same types of natural phenomena.
    We shall always be together in those ideas bud.

Strobey man I don't ever want to leave you and I don't intend to. It's just, if you saw the language sponsored and I speak at times you'd think it was gibberish, some might even regard it is a sorcery. Heck, sometimes I myself regard is as sorcery, it's just all letters, symbols, spilled blood, headaches, heartaches, symptoms of a deprived life all fuelled by a curiosity to understand something. Don't even know what that something is but every so often you get this rush of adrenaline to your head when you think you've moved asymptotically closer to understanding that something. These often turn out to be illusionary moments of illogic or deceit but the feeling while it lasts is good. So Good! But there in that moment you somehow figure out the poetry, the verse and the form and that reinforces your drive to keep on plucking away. You might find you the weekends and weekdays blend into one, you may find your inner cranial nerve endings turning mush, but for some reason you still press on, you still persevere. All the time being aware that one hiccup, one moment of weaknesss, one moment of ill health will likely upset everything. But each time you do encounter those moments, be they depression, be they poor physical health, be they familial or financial issus, be they whatever you know that regardless of how bad the story written has become as long as you've got a breath in you you can always, somewhere, somehow, find the place to pick yourself and get to work on the next chapter working towards that better ending which you really hope will never come, but that when it does, it will be a positive and good as it could possibly have been. Heck having survived that grim reaper on at least three occasions I should by now. (I wish I could say it has made me more mature and cautious of life. If anything it has made a greater risk taker, life's too short not to take them and if they don't pay off you'll find a way to fix them . .. somehow.)
    So this is my song to both you guys tonight, never ever give up on fighting for whatever it is you truly believe is worth fighting for and seeking out. Pursue those goals at all costs. Coolidge said it best:
    Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

and

Peace brothers. :)

• Advertisement

Sup scoundrels!

So today, is talk like a pirate day and I just realised I suck at attempting to talk like a pirate. Apart from Yarrr.. mateys, scoundrels, filthy beggars there's not much other terminology that springs to mind unless I try to rhyme off quotes from Pirates of the Carribean or Monkey Island. Can you guys speak Piratey? I don't know if you can, but perhaps you can tell me this? Did pirates actually speak like talk like a pirate day wants us to speak? Or is this is one of those tradition thingys? And what would you say to real Pirate? Not those Somali types, but the ones from the great stories. Ahh! Great stories, this week is also LOTR weeks, Frodo leaves the Shire this Saturday setting out an amazing, almost biblical like, adventure. Biblical indeed, the book basically steals ideas left right and centre from the bible. But the thing that really took me back was the ridiculous creation myths Tolkien created (as fact!) for the creation of his fantasy world and yet he couldn't see the same fantasy at the work in the bible. Bizarre! Even more bizarre though is the difference between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. I can't help but wonder how the new upcoming movie trilogy is going to fit in.
    Also, does anyone think refill ruled sheets of paper are that important : a refill pad for €6 vs 500 blanks pages of a4. Both are usually filled with sh*t anyway, so I'm sticking to the blank pages and lots and lots and lots and lots of crappy notes, ideas, pains, attempted sketches to fill them with. (But then I do love having notebooks filled with stuff to muse over at random times. . . I don't know why either, I just like looking over them. )

Oh so many musings, I know this thread requires a song, but really, I'm wondering at the moment what is a song? Surely I should know that by now. :(

Now who here doesn't like the Muppets? Good, that you're being honest, go stand in that corner so we can shoot you.

Advertisement