Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite verses / quotes from the Bible

• 21-03-2007 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread on this, I think people will be interested in posting up their favourite verses from the Bible etc. Bear in mind that this is a thread for Bible appreciation.

I really like the account of the Lord speaking to Samuel in the Old Testament.
    The Lord called Samuel a third time; he got up went to Eli, and said "You called me and here I am".
    Then Eli realised it was the Lord who was calling the boy, so he said to him "Go back to bed; and if he calls you again say, "speak Lord your servant is listening". So Samuel went back to bed.
    The Lord came and stood there and called as he had before "Samuel, Samuel". Samuel answered, "Speak; your servant is listening".
    (Good News Bible)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I like the phrase "there will be weeping and grinding of teeth"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I think you might mean "gnashing" not "grinding".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Romans 8:29
    For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers

This is the purpose of life, to be transformed into the likeness of Christ. If I start feeling too big for my britches I am reminded that I am not there yet and I get humbled.

If I start to feel low, I get comfort that God has me as a work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

But the Lord said to him, "Pay no attention to how tall and handsome he is. I have rejected him, because I do not judge as people judge. They look at the outward appearance, but I look at the heart." (Good News Bible)
    I'm liking this quote as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Well I always liked how the KJV rendered Isaiah 3:4b "and babes shall rule over them"... ;)

My favourite verse is Galatians 5:6, (TNIV) "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

• Advertisement

But the other woman said, "No the living child is mine and the dead one is yours".
    The first woman answered "No! The dead child is yours, and the living one is mine!"
    And so they argued before the king.
    Then King Solomon said, "Each of you claims that the child is hers and the dead child belongs to the other one."
    He sent for a sword, and then when it was brought, he said, "Cut the living child in two and give each woman half of it."
    The real mother, her heart full of love for her son said "Please Your Majesty, don't kill the child give it to her!".
    But the other woman said, "Don't give it to either of us; go ahead and cut it in two."
    Then Solomon said "Don't kill the child! Give it to the first woman - she is it's real mother."
    (Good News Bible)
    May the Lord give us all such wisdom as the wisdom he gave to Solomon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

This is one of my favourite passages. Impermanence is central to Jesus's teachings:

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

The cyclical nature of the universe is closely linked with the impermanence of all things and situations. All conditions are highly unstable and in a constant flux, or impermanence is a characteristic of every condition every situation you will ever encounter in your life. It will change, dissappear, or no longer satisfy you. Nothing lasts in this dimension where moth and rust consume. Either it ends or it changes, or it may undergo a polarity shift. The same condition that was good yesterday or last year has suddenly or gradually turned bad. The condition that made you happy, then makes you unhappy. For example, the prosperity of today becomes the empty comsumerism of tomorrow. This is, in fact, a central Buddhist teaching. But Christianity shares many similiar teachings to Buddhism.

Oh, another one I love is by Paul:

"The created universe is waiting with eager expectation for God's sons to be revealed" and Up to present... the whole created universe in all parts groans as if in pangs of childbirth" Romans 8
    Also, "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and first earth had passed away" Rev 21:1

I like these passages but they're up for interpretation like so mauch of the Bible. I interpreted them, according to St. Paul, that the whole of creation is waiting with eager expectation for humans to become enlightened and all of creation will be redeemed through this. It's all about humans reaching a new state of consiousness and the fall of our mind-identified states of the ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Philippians 4.4-7

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

In times of trial, this scripture rings true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

o so many, where to start

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Phillippians 4:13

When you harvest your fields, do not cut the corn at the edges of the fields, and do not go back to cut the ears of corn that were left. Do not go back through your vineyard to gather the grapes that were missed or to pick up the grapes that have fallen, leave them for poor people and foreigners. I am the Lord your God.
    Do not bear a grudge against anyone, but settle your differences with him, so that you will not commit a sin because of him. I am the Lord.
    Do not take revenge on anyone or continue to hate him, but love your neighbour as yourself I am the Lord your God.
    Do not steal or cheat or lie. Do not make a promise in my name if you do not intend to keep it. I am the Lord your God.
    Show respect for old people and honour them. Reverently obey me; I am the Lord.
    Do not ill-treat foreigners who are living in your land. Treat them as you would your fellow Israelite, and love them as you would love yourselves. Remember that you were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God.
    Do not cheat anyone by using false measures of length, weight or quantity. Use honest scales, honest weights, and honest measures. I am the Lord your God.
    Obey all my laws and commands. I am the Lord.
    Do not follow the majority when they are wrong or when they give evidence that perverts justice. Do not show partiality to a poor person at his trial.
    Do not deny justice to a poor person when he appears in court. Do not make false accusations, and do not put an innocent person to death, for I will condemn anyone who does sicj am evil thing.
    Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe makes people blind to what is right and ruins the cause of those who are innocent.
    "Don't worry" Elijah said to her. "Go ahead and prepare your meal. But first make a small loaf from what you have and bring it to me, and then prepare the rest for you and your son. For this is what the Lord the God of Israel, says "The bowl will not run out of flour or the jar run out of oil before I, the Lord send rain"
    Then Elijah stretched himself out on the boy three times and prayed "O Lord my God, restore this child to life." The Lord answered Elijah's prayer; the child started breathing again and revived.
    Elijah took the boy back downstairs to his mother and said to her, "Look your son is alive"
    The Lord said to the prophet Elijah, "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me?" Since he has done this, I will not bring disaster on him during his lifetime; it will be during his son's lifetime that I will bring disaster on his family".
    Israel remember this! The Lord - and the Lord alone is our God. Love the Lord with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
    I have killed lions and bears, and I will do the same to this heathen Philistine who has defied the army of the Lord.
    The Lord has saved me from lions and bears and he will save me from this Philistine.

Some Old Testament classics :) I posted a few of them in reply on another thread, but it's good to have them all in one place. All quoted from Good News Bible.

• Advertisement

For me this is power full. Enjoy

Gods Love in Christ Jesus

31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
    32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
    33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
    34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
    36As it is written:
    "For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."[l]
    37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
    38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
    39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The Love of Christ

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father,
    15 from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.
    16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
    17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
    18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
    19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
    20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
    21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

If you return to the Lord, then those who have taken your relatives away as prisoners will take pity on them and let them come back home. The Lord your God is kind and merciful, and if you return to him, he will accept you.
    (Good News Bible)
    Theres a very true message in that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

when evil doers come to devour my flesh my foes will stumble and fall, though an army encamps around me I will have no fear

Psalms 21 or 23 I think

I'm reading the Psalms too. I've read from the start and finally I'm there. I love this in David's Song of Victory, Psalm 18.
    The danger of death was all round me;
    the waves of destruction rolled over me.
    The danger of death was round me,
    and the grave set it's trap for me.
    In my trouble I called to the Lord;
    I called to God for help.
    In his temple he heard my voice;
    he listened to my cry for help.

I'm loving this book so far. I really like the way we see such a personal and deep relationship between David and God throughout. As we were discussing prayer in another thread, I think that King David is the ultimate example of how we should pray to Him, he shows true emotions to God, and you even get to know more about David from reading this and you can I suppose pinpoint moments in the Psalms with instances in 2nd Samuel and 1st Chronicles.
    Be merciful to me Lord,
    for I am in trouble;
    my eyes are tired from so much crying;
    I am completely worn out.
    I am exhausted by sorrow,
    and weeping has shortened my life.
    I am weak from all my troubles;
    even my bones are wasting away.
    Lord, don't be angry and rebuke me!
    Don't punish me in your anger!
    I am worn out, O Lord; have pity on me!
    Give me strength; I am completely exhausted.
    I rely on your constant love;
    I will be glad, because you will rescue me.
    I will sing to you, O Lord,
    because you have been good to me.
    The Lord says, "I will teach you the way you should go;
    I will instruct you and advise you.
    Don't be stupid like a horse and a mule,
    which must be controlled with a bit and bridle
    to make it submit"
    Good people suffer many troubles,
    but the Lord saves them from them all;
    the Lord preserves them completely;
    not one of their bones is broken;
    Evil will kill the wicked;
    those who hate the righteous will be punished

The Lord will save his people;
    those who go to him for protection will be spared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Oh I forgot to mention this verse which Ian Paisley actually read at the Power Sharing Peace Process in the North.

In the Old Testament book Ecclesiastes, traditionally thought to have been written by King Solomon (970–928 BC), time (as the Hebrew word עת ’êth is often translated, as well as "season") was regarded as a medium for the passage of predestined events. (Another word, זמן zman, was current as meaning time fit for an event, and is used as the modern Hebrew equivalent to the English word "time".)
    There is an appointed time (zman) for everything. And there is a time (’êth) for every event under heaven–
    A time (’êth) to give birth, and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted.
    A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up.
    A time to weep, and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, and a time to dance.
    A time to throw stones, and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, and a time to shun embracing.
    A time to search, and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep, and a time to throw away.
    A time to tear apart, and a time to sew together; A time to be silent, and a time to speak.
    A time to love, and a time to hate; A time for war, and a time for peace.

– Ecclesiastes 3:1–8

I personally like that part of Ecclesiastes too UU ^^
    I'm currently reading Proverbs as a part of my effort to read the whole Bible. I've read from the start and this is where I am. Very very good book, which ultimately summarises the Law of Moses and indeed shows us the wisdom of Solomon son of King David. (Thank God for His Proverbs, and Wisdom).
    One piece grasped my attention however.
    She threw her arms around the young man, kissed him, looked at him straight in the eye, and said, "I made my offerings today and I have the meat from the sacrifices. So I came out here looking for you. I wanted to find you and here you are! I've covered my bed with sheets of coloured linen from Egypt. I've perfumed it with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon. Come on! Let's make love all night long. We'll be happy in eachothers arms. My husband isn't at home. He's gone away on a long journey. He's took plenty of money with him and won't be back for two weeks. So she tempted him with her charms, and he gave in to her smooth talk. Suddenly he was going with her like an ox that was on the way to being slaughtered, like a deer prancing into a trap where an arrow would pierce it's heart. He was like a bird going into a net - he did not know that his life was in danger. Now then my sons, listen to me. Pay attention to what I say. Do not let such a woman win your heart; don't go wandering around after her. She has been the ruin of many men and caused the death of too many to count. If you go to her house, you are on the way to the world of the dead. It is a short cut to death.
    (Good News Bible)

I'm starting into the Book of Isaiah, a grim depiction of how God is going to punish the people of Israel and Judah for their sinning against God.

There is a very good analogy helping to depict why God tries to correct and punish us as human beings in our daily lives.
    Listen while I sing you this song,
    a song of my friend and his vineyard:
    My friend had a vineyard on a very fertile hill.
    He dug the soil and cleared it of stones;
    he planted the finest vines.
    He build a tower to guard them,
    dug a pit for treading the grapes,
    He waited for the grapes to ripen,
    But every grape was sour.
    So now my friend says, "You people who live in Jerusalem and Judah, judge between my vineyard and me. Is there anything I failed to do for it? Then why did it produce sour grapes and not the good grapes I expected?
    This is what I am going to do for my vineyard; I will take away the hedge round it, break down the wall that protects it and let wild animals eat it and trample it down. I will let it be overgrown with weeds. I will not prune the vines or hoe the ground; instead I will let briars and thorns cover it. I will even forbid the clouds to let rain fall on it."
    Israel is the vineyard of the Lord Almighty;
    the people of Judah are the vines he planted.
    He expected them to do what was good,
    but instead they committed murder,
    He expected them to do what was right,
    but their victims cried out for justice.

I also like this:
    Isaiah 7:9 wrote:
    "Israel is no stronger than Samaria, it's capital city, and Samaria is no stronger than King Pekah.
    If your faith is not enduring, you will not endure".

This are perhaps the greatest of Isaiah's prophecy.
    A voice cries out,
    Prepare in the wilderness a road for the Lord!
    Clear the way in the desert for our God!
    Jerusalem, go up on a high mountain and proclaim the good news!
    Call out with a loud voice, Zion;
    announce the good news!
    Speak out and do not be afraid.
    Tell the towns of Judah,
    that their God is coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 TheOlster

don't know the quote exactly but ,when the pharisees ask Jesus about divorce,and Jesus tells them off about it,saying "Moses only gave you that law because your hearts were hard...". Also what the bible says about swearing saying "let your yes,be a yes,and your no ,a no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

' Get thee behind me satan ' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus."Romans 8 verse 1 KJV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 time130808

Exd 20:3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exd 20:4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:Exd 20:5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
    Exd 20:6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 time130808

Jeremiah 7:18
    The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
    Isaiah 42:8
    I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
    Revelation 19:10
    And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 graceface!

Psalm 116 is wonderful, it got me through some tough times :)

Also a verse from Psalm 27 "though my father and my mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me"

I think that's a really beautiful thought, and good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Isaiah 40:31 has always been one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Here's a good one from the book of Micah:-

This is what the Lord asks of you:
    only this, to act justly,
    to love tenderly
    and to walk humbly with your God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 boringteetotal

"He that believes on me hath everlastlasting life"-Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept