Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Great idea Trickie. Hope it goes well and that I’ll be in a position to suggest it in the “principal officer competition 2020 or 2021” thread if I make it into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 meteoris

Hi all,

This resource might be of use as you consider your offer or try to get established in your department:
    whodoeswhat dot gov dot ie
    (Apologies I am not allowed by the system to post the actual URL)

You can choose any of the departments to see the Org Structure down to Principal Officer level.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Grey AP

Not sure that there is a particularly reliable source of information at the moment. Whodoeswhatdotgovdotie used to go down to PO level but doesn't appear to any more and it has not been updated for the new departments under this government. Wwwdotgovdotie is a bit of a mishmash, directing you to external sites which have a mix of updated and outdated information and sites don't present info on structures in the same way. You would think that all those information officers and offices would get everyone into line on simple information about how our government works, like showing the SG, ASGs and roles, POs under each ASG etc and what they do. I am quite disappointed in my own colleagues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

meteoris wrote: »
    Just got a reply with an update from clearance at publicjobs dot ie:

"There are currently 5 candidates ahead of you on the PO2019 panel."

As I am placed at 42, number 37 should be next.

Any news @Meteoris? There are some who are below you in the list and wondering how things are going!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Whaleseye

As a matter of interest, would anyone know if they tell you what department you’re being offered when you’re contacted for Clearance, or do you only find out having gone through that process?
    Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

Whaleseye wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, would anyone know if they tell you what department you’re being offered when you’re contacted for Clearance, or do you only find out having gone through that process?
    Thanks,

Hi Whaleseye.

Yes in my experience they do. The format of my notification was:
    Your place on the panel has been reached and you have been provisionally assigned to X.

Also included a contact person in the department for any informal queries
    Best
    TD

Hi Whaleseye.

Yes in my experience they do. The format of my notification was:
    Your place on the panel has been reached and you have been provisionally assigned to X.

Also included a contact person in the department for any informal queries
    Best
    TD

Ah that’s good to know. Thanks TrickieD!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maestro123

richardjjd wrote: »
    Any news @Meteoris? There are some who are below you in the list and wondering how things are going!

Hi folks, I have it on good authority (another 'petit oiseau'!) that no. 38 has just been called for clearance - hope that helps!

richardjjd wrote: »

Hi richardjjd and all,

I was just told that there is only one candidate ahead of me for the Dublin panel, so that means lots of progress this week as 41 is due next.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Conovski

Thanks Meteoris, that's some movement alright. Cheers for sharing the update

• Advertisement

Grey AP wrote: »
    Not sure that there is a particularly reliable source of information at the moment. Whodoeswhatdotgovdotie used to go down to PO level but doesn't appear to any more and it has not been updated for the new departments under this government. Wwwdotgovdotie is a bit of a mishmash, directing you to external sites which have a mix of updated and outdated information and sites don't present info on structures in the same way. You would think that all those information officers and offices would get everyone into line on simple information about how our government works, like showing the SG, ASGs and roles, POs under each ASG etc and what they do. I am quite disappointed in my own colleagues here.

Correction here. I mentioned to a colleague that whodoeswhatdotgovdotie no longer seems to show POs, but they pointed out that if you click on the assistant secretary's name above their photo, not the division or title underneath, you will see the POs in that division and their roles. However, it still largely hasn't been updated for the new government and departments (for example, my own dept features quite a few retired POs and now redundant posts), though it will give you a general walk around of your new department.
    And well done to all the newly appointed so far this month (I think it is about eight) and it'd be nice to hear of your experiences and first impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Correction here. I mentioned to a colleague that whodoeswhatdotgovdotie no longer seems to show POs, but they pointed out that if you click on the assistant secretary's name above their photo, not the division or title underneath, you will see the POs in that division and their roles. However, it still largely hasn't been updated for the new government and departments (for example, my own dept features quite a few retired POs and now redundant posts), though it will give you a general walk around of your new department.
    And well done to all the newly appointed so far this month (I think it is about eight) and it'd be nice to hear of your experiences and first impressions.

Transfer of functions process not completed and therefore new Departments don't exist yet.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Transfer of functions process not completed and therefore new Departments don't exist yet.

Useful observation Hardybuck. Thanks! When is the transfer of functions process expected to be completed?

Useful observation Hardybuck. Thanks! When is the transfer of functions process expected to be completed?

Probably in advance of the budget so they'll know what allocation they have next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Some (all?) were approved by Cabinet this week afaik

Delegation orders for junior ministers are starting to roll in also.

Any numbers updates? I just got a reply indicating that the panel is up to number 38, but going on recent replies, I think this must mean 38 appointments rather than offers, as Meteoris said a couple of weeks ago that 41 is next (ie up to 40).

Any numbers updates? I just got a reply indicating that the panel is up to number 38, but going on recent replies, I think this must mean 38 appointments rather than offers, as Meteoris said a couple of weeks ago that 41 is next (ie up to 40).

Yes, zero movement in the last two weeks. 41 is next apparently (as confirmed to me by PAS last week too) and I have it on good authority (little oiseau etc!) that 41 has not been contacted to date.

Hi Grey AP,

I got confirmation this week that the status for the Dublin Panel was the same as the update I received two week ago.

If 38 does not refer to appointments, then the only way I can reconcile what they are telling you with what they are telling me is to assume that some of the people between 38 and 41 may not be in the Dublin Panel...

I do not understand how they are managing to make a simple list look so complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Conovski

Hi Grey AP,

I got confirmation this week that the status for the Dublin Panel was the same as the update I received two week ago.

If 38 does not refer to appointments, then the only way I can reconcile what they are telling you with what they are telling me is to assume that some of the people between 38 and 41 may not be in the Dublin Panel...

I do not understand how they are managing to make a simple list look so complicated.

Thanks Meteoris/Grey AP
    I haven't sought an update from PAS, but I did hear that a Dept took three in one go from the panel recently (in the past couple of weeks) which would broadly tally with the numbers moving from 37/8 to 40 around then (16/18th Sept).

• Advertisement

Hi Grey AP,

That makes sense. I think it would be a lot easier if PAS just posted a table, numbered 1-65 and updated weekly, with columns for offer made, accepted/refused, in clearance, appointed. It's anonymous and would save PAS a lot of work and us a bit of anxiety and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 celticfan1

Folks - any movement on this panel - seems to have slowed up somewhat!

celticfan1 wrote: »
    Folks - any movement on this panel - seems to have slowed up somewhat!

I have not heard of any progress for the last four weeks.

I have not heard of any progress for the last four weeks.

Ditto

There were some appointments to my dept in September (welcome everyone and congratulations :):)) but as they seem to be mostly non-CS, and would have had to do clearance, I assume they were counted in August or before by PAS.

PS Not quite sure how a smiley face arrived at the top of this - only meant to be after the congrats.

I wonder whether departments are waiting for budget allocations before progressing?

Seems strange to have had almost a month now with seemingly no movement at all...

There's always a lot of movement around the system in September. Everyone is back from holidays and the engine of Government business kicks up a gear.

I suspect that there was a lot of movement in early September which led to a bit of a lull afterwards.

I don't think the 2021 budget would have had much of an impact. There will be more public spending, but I don't think you'll see much of an increase for additional payroll in Civil Service organisations, particularly at PO level.

There has also been mention of people holding on for the 2% pay increase in October. While there are definitely some people in this boat, I think the numbers will be low - there is no way I'd be hanging on for another year or two for such a small financial bonus.

I actually think there's going to be more people holding on for a while who had previously intended to retire by now. Can't go anywhere to enjoy the retirement and can work from home while this whole COVID thing continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Whaleseye wrote: »
    Yes, zero movement in the last two weeks. 41 is next apparently (as confirmed to me by PAS last week too) and I have it on good authority (little oiseau etc!) that 41 has not been contacted to date.
    Just to confirm, I got an update from PAS yesterday that basically means no advance on that.

Just to confirm, I got an update from PAS yesterday that basically means no advance on that.

Same. Looks like depts have squared their debts to the open panel and are promoting from within at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

Same. Looks like depts have squared their debts to the open panel and are promoting from within at the moment.

My new department has recently launched an Internal PO competition which closes this week.

Guess maybe they didn't like the look of the external candidates who arrived of late!

On a more serious note, the waiting is undoubtedly tough, but hang in there and stay positive. It'll happen in due course for those waiting on the panel, I've no doubt

Advertisement