Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACA Or ACCA for Tax Trainee

Options
  • 07-09-2020 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am about to start a tax grduate programme in an accounting firm and time has come to chose which professional body to qualify with. I did not study much accounting in college so I have little knowledge of the difference between the two bodies. I am hoping to pursue a career in tax, so I am wondering which of the two would suit that best or what are the real differences between the two? If anyone had any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Why not go for a tax qualification?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

J.Ryan wrote: »
    Why not go for a tax qualification?

It would be very limiting, especially for one so young.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It would be very limiting, especially for one so young.
    Elements34 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am about to start a tax grduate programme in an accounting firm and time has come to chose which professional body to qualify with. I did not study much accounting in college so I have little knowledge of the difference between the two bodies. I am hoping to pursue a career in tax, so I am wondering which of the two would suit that best or what are the real differences between the two? If anyone had any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Its the career he wants

Its the career he wants

That does not take away for the fact that it is limiting and he would not be the first person to want to do something different in a few years time. An accounting qualification enables him to do both, so there is not reason to start limiting your options so early in life.

True, but equally after a few years he could want to go into engineering or science or anything else, he is asking about a qualification best suited to working in Tax, thats the question asked and my answer to it.

• Advertisement

True, but equally after a few years he could want to go into engineering or science or anything else, he is asking about a qualification best suited to working in Tax, thats the question asked and my answer to it.

What ever

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Firms usually require their grad trainees to get an accountancy qualification as well as tax.

OP, if your firm is a big enough one and will give you all the extended study leave (think whole summer, start of June to end of August, for FAE) then ACA might be easiest, just 3 sets and you'll probably have in house support and loads of peers sitting them at the same time. If it's small and only a handful of trainees with just the minimum required leave provided, then ACCA might be more manageable.

Advertisement